Earth Shoes negative Arch (Read 1093 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Okay I went to a foot doctor and she said that I should try wearing earth shoes for my foot and calf problem. I have Plantar Fasciitis and have had a pain in my calf muscle as some of you might remember. Has any one every had them? She said I should never walk barefoot around the house. Also does anyone have a good place to purchase them from? Thoughts and Suggestions?
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    PWL

Has been

It's not a negative arch, it's a negative heel. Basically, the heel is lower than the ball of the foot so when you are standing still, you are stretching your calf muscles (try standing barefoot with a book under just the ball of your foot--you'll get the idea). They tend to have pretty good arch as well which helps keep your plantar fascia muscle from being pulled on too much. I hope they also recommended some stretching exercises for you as well.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Do any of you have these? I have tried them on before, and it seems like it would be really hard to get used to them and wear them for a full day.
          They aren't as extreme as the Earth Shoes of my youth. Smile I have several pairs. They are well-made and comfortable. I would give them a try.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

UpNorth

She said I should never walk barefoot around the house.
            That's just plain bad advice. How are you supposed to ever strengthen your feet if you always use a support for your arch. What are your doctor's long-term plans for strengthening your foot so your PF doesn't return?
            RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Well I am supposed to balance on a step on the tops of my feet and then gently let them come down and then lift them up to even with the step and back down. Any other suggestions. I take it nobody else has ever purchased earth shoes for this reason? Come on forward people if you have I need advice. These shoes are not cheap.
                2011 Goals:
                Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
              UpNorth

Well I am supposed to balance on a step on the tops of my feet and then gently let them come down and then lift them up to even with the step and back down. Any other suggestions.
                That's a perfect exercise. Any one that works the eccentric contraction of the calf (slowly lowering from your the balls of your feel) will help. You don't want to reinflame the tendon, but you do need to strengthen it, and bring blood to it, so the PF won't come back. I hope I didn't come off harsh -- I didn't mean to. I just get frustrated by some doctor's advice to just stay off it, then return slowly. You need to fix it first! This is the part of the rehabilitation process that most people don't do, and it is why PF so often returns. Also stretching your entire lower leg complex and massaging out any knots and adhesions (the Stick is great for this) will also help the recovery. Good Luck
                Ed4

Barefoot and happy

That's just plain bad advice. How are you supposed to ever strengthen your feet if you always use a support for your arch. What are your doctor's long-term plans for strengthening your foot so your PF doesn't return?
                  I second this. PF happens because the feet are weak. Spending time barefoot is the best way to make them stronger. You just need to take it slow. Check out the forum are runningbarefoot.org, there are several people there who have fixed their PF by making their feet and lower legs strong.
                  Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

dork.major dork.

I don't have PF or other foot issues. But I do do a number on my feet between running and wearing high heels. I find that wearing earth shoes for a day or two does a great job of stretching me out in a way that I can't do no matter how much I stretch my calves...a slow stretch over hours is just different. I also spend a lot of time barefoot. In short would recommend them.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

It is bad advice only if that is the permanent recommendation. It is perfectly reasonable as a short term answer to getting back to a level where you can begin rehabbing. I had PF last year, and had a hard time getting rid of it until I got a pair of shoes with arch support to wear around the house. (We always remove our shoes when entering, normally). You do have to do the rehab exercises to strengthen the weakness which caused the issue, but first you have to heal enough that you can do the exercises without aggravating the condition. I was unable to heal enough to move forward until I was using the shoes. Sorry though, bearcat, I was just using regular shoes with some arch support inserts, not "earth shoes", so I can't give you a recommendation. But good luck, I know how nagging PF can be, but you can get over it!

...And I do.

I have two pair of earth shoes and they are extremely comfortable. I bought them because they have a wide toe box (at least these two did) and I was suffering with a corn on my little toe. No pain since wearing them at all. I bought them at a small shoe independent shoe store but I'm sure you could get them online. PS -- I did think they were weird at first and DH insisted that I buy them and now I am glad that I did!
                          I second this. PF happens because the feet are weak. Spending time barefoot is the best way to make them stronger. You just need to take it slow. Check out the forum are runningbarefoot.org, there are several people there who have fixed their PF by making their feet and lower legs strong.
                          Agreed! Spending some quality time barefoot and in my FiveFingers (against the advice of my PT wife) got me over my PF last year. Your mileage may vary...