Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

My other hip is starting to really become bothersome.  I couldn't get comfortable last night because either side meant shooting pains in my hip.

I'm sort of torn what to do.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My other hip is starting to really become bothersome.  I couldn't get comfortable last night because either side meant shooting pains in my hip.

I'm sort of torn what to do.

Fuck!!!!    Another MRI?  What did your surgeon say about your X-Ray?  Mine told me that my anatomy was the same on both sides, but they don't do anything about it unless you start to have symptoms on your "good" side.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

He said that my x-rays actually looked better on the other side!  I guess I'll call and see if they want me in for an MRI now or wait or what.  I mean, it's not BAD but uh... not good either.

Prince of Fatness

Damn Oski I hope that you can get this all straightened out.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Over 24 hours after surgery and I am feeling pretty good.  The pain is really not that bad.  I am thinking that I will only need to be on the prescription pain meds one more day if that.  At least I am not feeling a lot of side effects.

This is the first time that I have ever had to be on crutches in 51 years so I am adjusting to that.  I start my mornings upstairs (my wife is a sweetheart and brings me what I need).  I will spend most of my day downstairs then head upstairs for the evening.  Only one trip each way up and down the stairs per day.  I go up on my rear end and down using one crutch and the railing.

In the hospital I used the good leg to slide my bad leg over when I got up the first time.  The nurses were impressed with the idea.  I told them that I learned it from internet strangers.

I wasn't given much in the way of movements to do, but I have my first PT appointment Thursday next week.

It's nice out today and it is tough being laid up.  I keep telling myself to be patient and things will improve with time.

Not at it at all. 

Kalsarikännit

Spud, I hope this is a big fix for you so you are at 100% soon. I want you to be unbroken so you can run and then go have a big galaxy-hopped beer. Perfect combo, right?

Heal up.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Prince of Fatness

Spud, I hope this is a big fix for you so you are at 100% soon. I want you to be unbroken so you can run and then go have a big galaxy-hopped beer. Perfect combo, right?

Heal up.

At this point I would settle for 80 - 90%.  I have some Galaxy hops in the freezer so I'll have that part covered.

Thanks!

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

I heard back from the ortho's office - they will start the "work up" of my other hip after the May surgery - I'm guessing MRA, x-rays, etc but we really didn't get into it.  Part of me wants to know NOW if something is wrong with the other hip, but I totally get the response to wait and see after surgery.

Well, this blows. lol

Hip Redux

Over 24 hours after surgery and I am feeling pretty good.  The pain is really not that bad.  I am thinking that I will only need to be on the prescription pain meds one more day if that.  At least I am not feeling a lot of side effects.

This is the first time that I have ever had to be on crutches in 51 years so I am adjusting to that.  I start my mornings upstairs (my wife is a sweetheart and brings me what I need).  I will spend most of my day downstairs then head upstairs for the evening.  Only one trip each way up and down the stairs per day.  I go up on my rear end and down using one crutch and the railing.

In the hospital I used the good leg to slide my bad leg over when I got up the first time.  The nurses were impressed with the idea.  I told them that I learned it from internet strangers.

I wasn't given much in the way of movements to do, but I have my first PT appointment Thursday next week.

It's nice out today and it is tough being laid up.  I keep telling myself to be patient and things will improve with time.

Overall sounds like you are doing well!

Dallison - how are you holding up?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Can I have that combo too?

Finn, it sounds like you're doing really well.  I am glad the internet weirdos could be helpful!  Did they teach you how to do stairs with the crutches?  You're supposed to remember "down with the bad and up with the good."  So when you go downstairs, the bad leg goes first.  Upstairs the good leg goes first.

My dad helped me move all my crap back to my house today.  I picked up a bag that was too heavy and tweaked myself pretty badly.  I spent the afternoon icing and that seemed to help.  Rode the bike just now and I feel okay.  Think it's time for beer and pizza!  Also, I have my blog totally up to date now and will try and continue to update weekly.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

Finn, it sounds like you're doing really well.  I am glad the internet weirdos could be helpful!  Did they teach you how to do stairs with the crutches?  You're supposed to remember "down with the bad and up with the good."  So when you go downstairs, the bad leg goes first.  Upstairs the good leg goes first.

No I really did not get a stair lesson. Going up on my ass seems to work. I use my arms and push up off of my good leg. I have a chair at the top that allows me to get up off of the floor. Going down one crutch and the railing works.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Going up isn't too bad.  Step with your good leg, bring up the crutches, then lastly follow with your op-leg.  Of course, I avoided the stairs for the first week or so.  You'll feel more comfortable with it all soon.  When's the first beer?

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

When's the first beer?

When I am off of the pain meds. Probably Sunday.

Not at it at all. 

dallison

registered pw

So far so good.Driving is easier, esp. getting in and out of the car. I have been cheating with the crutches at home. Our house is itty bitty and we have three dogs so getting around with the crutches is harder. I don't have any pain walking on both legs, i just move slower. Going up and down stairs is always interesting, but manageable.

I am doing 10 minutes a day on the stationary bike and that feels good.

I am trying to keep my weight down, but i could afford to gain a couple pounds until i can run again. I would say 3-5 pounds is about what i have gained.

Today i am going to work a water station at a local 5k today. I am trying to give back for  all of the resources that i have used in my running career.

I am searching for a few different no impact treadmills where i can start to train when cleared to do so.

So far, no PT. i'll see my DR. in about 10 more days.

Overall sounds like you are doing well!

Dallison - how are you holding up?

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Prince of Fatness

Updating...

I ended up only taking the prescription pain meds Thursday and Friday.  Saturday it was Aleve.  I have not even taken that since Sunday morning.  Pain is there but it is bearable, not much worse than the pain that I experienced prior to the surgery.  I am curious as to how much pain the PT on Thursday will cause.

The bandage came off yesterday morning.  Wow was that tape ever on there good.  It hurt like hell getting it off.  There was not much drainage on the gauze which was good.  There was some ugly bruising there but nothing looked swollen or infected.  I am in good shape with that.

After getting the bandage off I took my first shower.  It was a little challenging getting in and out but I was able to wash off good once in there.  It felt good.  At least for a while I will need to have my wife there when showering.

This is my first day home alone.  My wife set me up with food and drink then went to work.  Sometimes I wonder what I did to deserve her.  I spent most of the morning upstairs, now I am downstairs for the rest of the day.  I have a couple of neighbors that are retired so I have people that I can call if I need anything.  Really the main problem that I will have will be boredom.  Sudoku's only take you so far.

Anyway so far so good.

Not at it at all.