For those who run LOOOONG runs... (Read 868 times)

As you get used to running over an hour regularly, you get into a running rythm and dont really need to take a walk break if you have paced yourself correclty for the distance. However if my route is hilly or technical in case of a trail run, walking helps me cover the distance faster and with less fatigue, so nothing wrong in taking a walk break as necessary. I tend to get lazy if I take a walk break on long runs and the walk tends to be much longer than I planned for in the later stages Smile

The Greatest of All Time

If you're a new runner, taking a mintue or two walking break later in the run isn't going to hurt. It might mentally make the distance more manageable. But you will get to a point where you don't need to walk at all.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        Generally will run them with one quick stop (at my house which is half way) to pick up a water bottle.....but if a runner needs to stop and walk some or walk every 10 minutes or what ever, its perfectly acceptable...it takes a while to build to that distance, and walking can be a very important part of the process.....dont ever hesitate to walk if you need/want to during a long run...or a short one for that matter..... Yes

Champions are made when no one is watching

I pretty much run the whole thing. If a run is 17-18+ miles I'll start using gels and walk while I do so.

-------------------------------------
          5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
          10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
          1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
          Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

JimR

and I'm talking over 10 miles... do you run the whole thing or do you take walk breaks?
            I run 'em. Might have to pause to re-tie a shoelace, hit a washroom, hit a public water fountain...stuff like that, but no walking.
            obsessor

I walk to drink, unless it is cool and under 20 miles, then I chose not to drink.
                At 10 - 14 miles, no I don't take walk breaks. Anything above 14 miles I will take a walk break...I go 4 minutes run/30 second walk...and if that is not enough the 4 minute run/1 minute walk. There is no way I could cover the distance I have covered on my last half-dozen long runs if it were not for walking. I hope a year from now I can go the whole way, but for now...I cover the distance and am able to go home and rest 1 day and be ready run again. OMG...I am a 20+ miler...never dreamed that would happen.
                2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

Giants Fan

I do not walk, but I do stop to drink water and/or take my Gu. Just remember what works for you -even if it doesn't work for someone else, doesn't make it wrong.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

You shouldn't need to walk on a long run. If you do, you are either running at too fast a pace or running too far for your conditioning.
                    I could take you on some long runs where nearly everyone would be reduced to a walk (everyone except Matt Carpenter). Wink I run when I can, walk when I can't, but I don't follow any specific run/walk ratio. It's time on feet that counts, so it doesn't really matter. Most of my runs are pretty hilly and pretty long, so there's bound to be some walking in there. Sometimes hours of walking at a running heart rate....
                      Of course my goal is to run the whole thing, but if I'm having an "off' day, I still feel that it is more important to get the distance in. So, I'll take walk breaks if I need to. But, like some other posters have said, once I do walk, it is harder to start running again so I try not to walk unless I have to.
                        Well I've done 3 10 milers so far, and did not take any walk breaks. I thought about stopping at a water fountain on my last one, but vetoed it and decided I could wait. It's just my personal preference but I try never to walk and usually feel like I didn't finish a run if I walk. Not that this is how it should be by any means, just what I tell myself to keep going. Plus I find it harder to start up after I walk.
                          Of course my goal is to run the whole thing, but if I'm having an "off' day, I still feel that it is more important to get the distance in. So, I'll take walk breaks if I need to. But, like some other posters have said, once I do walk, it is harder to start running again so I try not to walk unless I have to.
                          If you're using run/walk, I've found it helpful to train for transition - and it gets easier the more you do it. Like cgerber, I'm more interested in the longer, hillier stuff where most people will be walking. Yea, it used to be painful to switch, but over the years, it's gotten easier. BUT, if you want to run the entire thing, don't let it get too easy - at least for the brain. A hint my mentor gave me is that some days are run only (no matter how slowly, run up that hill, even if walking would be faster); some days are walk or power hike only (or at least the uphill); and some may be mixed. IOW, train your muscles and brain to do either, but be sure to train them to run continuously also - otherwise, it's too easy mentally to walk in a race when it gets tough. In your case, it sounds like you want to run the whole way, but using the walk breaks to help build the long runs during training. That works fine. This is where you might want to be time your break (actual time or HR or whatever) to keep yourself from walking for too long. If you find you're needing to take more than a couple minutes for walk break, then you may want to shorten the run part - or start walking earlier. But eventually you'll be running what you used to run/walk. You can play with some timed breaks and see how they work out. But chances are if you push until you "have to" walk, you waited too long for the way most people use of technique, esp. at beginning level. IOW, avoid death marches and bonking by using smart pacing and/or run/walk. Good luck.
                          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog