Cow Bell (Read 343 times)

Anonymous Guest

Because you knew I was a little behind you and i was going to cringe?

I ran NYCM today and every time someone said "You got this," I smiled a little. Smile.

It bothered me a little less today because I just enjoyed the spectators so much and I realized that the "you got this" people meant well. But the lady that said "looking good" about mile 23 when I was walking because my stomach was cramping and I was wondering if wearing yellow shorts was a bad call  - that lady was just flat-out lying.

And I actually liked the woman on the bridge into the Bronx that was telling everyone we were almost there, the finish was just around the corner (to her credit she didn't say which corner) because she just had so much passion and feeling in her voice. She made me smile, even though I knew we were no where close to the finish.

Hmm, it's almost like it matters more what state of mind I'm in that what people actually say......maybe I learned something here.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I ran NYCM today and every time someone said "You got this," I smiled a little. Smile.

Likewise, I heard that a lot today and thought of this thread.

To take the annoying spectator thing to an extreme, some joker on Staten Island was yelling "You're almost done!"

dblendc

As a counter to the "LOOKING GOOD RUNNER" phrase......I am going to print "FEELING GOOD SPECTATOR" on my shirt.

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

As a counter to the "LOOKING GOOD RUNNER" phrase......I am going to print "FEELING GOOD SPECTATOR" on my shirt.

I've got a friend that writes replies on his hand.

For "You're almost there"... he's got "NO I'M NOT"  For "Lookin' good" ... he's got "THANK-YOU" ...

Gets some interesting responses when he gives a spectator "the hand".       

Tim 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've got a friend that writes replies on his hand.

For "You're almost there"... he's got "NO I'M NOT"  For "Lookin' good" ... he's got "THANK-YOU" ...

Gets some interesting responses when he gives a spectator "the hand".       

Depending on whether the middle finger is extended?

Cyberic

Late in the race I do not acknowledge support as running needs all my attention, so I feel a bit sorry for all those people cheering on, as I ignore them. It definitely doesn't bother me, that's for sure. So I say keep the cow bell.

Earlier in the race I do look at supporters and my favorite signs are the funny ones ("hurry up the Kenyans are drinking all the beer", "seems like a lot of effort for a free banana", and the likes) and the personalized ones to supporters' friends, dads, moms. I pretty much ignore the "you're almost there" and "you've got this" signs, but again, don't mind them.

The Running Stan

This is an interesting twist on the "Almost there!" cheer.

I prefer the general noise of a lot of people just going nuts.  Not necessarily one particular person saying anything specificbecause the "Almost there", "You got this", "Pick it up", "This is the easy part", and all the other things coming from stationary spectators really kind of doesn't do it for me.  However, if a fellow runner said it, that makes a big difference for some reason.