Woohoo! REal food close to home! (Read 655 times)

A Saucy Wench

OK, this is really probably more off the beaten path but that place scares me lately... We have a new restaurant in town!!!! Its a kosher (meat) Israeli restaurant. Hummus, falafel, schwarma, kebabs and kick butt jalapeno/parsley salad. Yummy, mostly healthy and best of all...not a grilled cheese in sight. Why does this generate all this excitement? Because all the other restaurants in my small town are burgers and fries or (1) pizza. AND my picky daughter likes hummus. She actually chose this place over pizza for lunch the other day. We try to do a lunch outing about once a week and its nice to have something good to eat. MT because i hate useless titles

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Jill_B

I fly.

Sounds really good! My son loves hummus too. I swear I buy it by the barrel and he's always eating it. I think I'm going to try to make my own one of these days.

Bring it on.

That's cool Ennay. I can understand your excitement, because a gourmet take-out only place recently opened near us, and it's solidly good with healthy mostly organic and local food. Only downside is that it's a little pricey. I'm the only one in my family who really like hummus. My 5yo son will eat it sometimes, but not consistently. I make my own most of the times that I have it, and it's pretty good, but never as good as restaurant or even really good store-bought (Sabra is GREAT!).
        Brandon
        mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Please enlighten us (I hope I'm not the only one wondering). What is hummus?
            Please enlighten us (I hope I'm not the only one wondering). What is hummus?
            Middleastern Chickpea spread made with lemon, garlic, and ground sesame seed paste called tahini.... Awesome stuff indeed! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

A Saucy Wench

soooo easy to make at home too, especially with canned chickpeas. Tahini is available in a lot of stores now but for sure in any "whole food" type store. It is absolutely the only non cheese based food my dd eats willingly.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Joyva tahini is by far the BEST brand I've ever used. It stays smooth and easy to stir even after prolonged time in the refrigerator, and it is the least bitter tahini I've ever tasted. Just FYI. See a picture here and buy a 40lb bucket if you need one... I get mine at Publix (southern grocery chain) in the ethnic food aisle.
                Brandon

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Yummy stuff - lucky you! And that's terrific that your daughter chose it too. We're hummus junkies at our house. Make our own, right down to the tahini from scratch and it's to die for. I rue the day our food processor kicks the bucket. Lot of miles on that sucker.
                  ~ Fly ~
                  Only as much as I dream can I be.
                  veggies on the run
                    That's awesome that you make your hown tahini! I have just never bothered to do it, mainly because I am freaky weird about buying sesame seeds in our bulk stores around here, They just dont' always appear to be " fast Movers" and look as though they sit around alot.....

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I was intrigued.Called DW to ask her to see if her store sold it. She let me know we have it in the frig. I will try it tomorrow.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Hoping to Run Again :-(

That's awesome that you make your hown tahini! I have just never bothered to do it, mainly because I am freaky weird about buying sesame seeds in our bulk stores around here, They just dont' always appear to be " fast Movers" and look as though they sit around alot.....
                        I hear ya - I'm super picky on bulk stores too - grosses me out to see little kids mucking about in the barrels. Ours usually comes from Whole Foods in those pour spout contraptions.
                        ~ Fly ~
                        Only as much as I dream can I be.
                        veggies on the run