Sports Authority replacement plan (Read 5817 times)

My legs are killing me

I bought a new pair of NB 769 last night in Sports Authority.  The salesman offered me a replacement plan ($9.95) for the shoes.  It, supposedly, covers any wear or damage to the shoe for 15 months.  I didn't buy it because I think they are ususally scams but considering these shoes will probably last me until the end of September it was tempting.

Has anyone purchased this coverage?  And have you been able to use it to replace the shoes you have?  If the claims are true $9.95 would be a bargan for replacement of a $100 pair of shoes.

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

I'd be wary of this plan: since my shoes don't ever last 15 months or even 6 months for that matter under this plan I'd probably never have to buy another pair of shoes again. 

Another reason to be skepical is that Sports Authority closed it's stores in my area, I think they are in trouble. 

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
      My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
      Ride 112 miles.
      Run 26.2 miles.
      Then brag for the rest of your life.
      -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

xor

There's got to be more to this plan. 

It's kind of like an extended warranty (which may or may not be a good deal depending on a product's repair history and PITA factor) but most of these things don't include normal wear-and-tear.

And I can wear a shoe out... holes in the soles.. in a couple months.  15 months?  For 9.95?  Hmmm.  Even if it only covers one replacement (and not future replacements for replacements that also wear out), something ain't right if it supposedly includes normal wear.  Like perhaps they'd say "you, sir, did not wear these normally"... in which case it would be scammy to me.

And yeah, when stores start mysteriously trotting out offers like this, one might ask if their long-term viability is in question.

Roadrunnersports also has something like a 30 day return policy.  If you wear a shoe and it doesn't work for you, bring it back (they usually turn around and sell these shoes for 50 bucks to someone else).  But I suspect this is intended to cover specifically the "I wore it once or twice and it gave me blisters" case and not the "I wore this shoe 300 miles and there ain't much left" case.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

I was offered the same plan on a $25 beach chair/backpack. The way it was explained to me, it is for manufactures' defects not on wear and tear. 

Which is kinda stupid because IMHO, because most mfgs. of sporting goods equipment, sunglasses, watches, stuff like that, will replace your broken equipment rather than subject themselves to the wrath of forum-writing nut jobs ready to "out" any company who produces crap and doesn't take responsibility for it.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.

I'd be skeptical as well.  Sounds like a tire warranty.  In order for it to be honored, many of the dealers will make you prove that you kept the tires rotated, properley inflated etc. 

Then again, I'm skeptical of all exteneded warranties.

LPH

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

kcam

There's got to be more to this plan. 

It's kind of like an extended warranty (which may or may not be a good deal depending on a product's repair history and PITA factor) but most of these things don't include normal wear-and-tear.

And I can wear a shoe out... holes in the soles.. in a couple months.  15 months?  For 9.95?  Hmmm.  Even if it only covers one replacement (and not future replacements for replacements that also wear out), something ain't right if it supposedly includes normal wear.  Like perhaps they'd say "you, sir, did not wear these normally"... in which case it would be scammy to me.

And yeah, when stores start mysteriously trotting out offers like this, one might ask if their long-term viability is in question.

Roadrunnersports also has something like a 30 day return policy.  If you wear a shoe and it doesn't work for you, bring it back (they usually turn around and sell these shoes for 50 bucks to someone else).  But I suspect this is intended to cover specifically the "I wore it once or twice and it gave me blisters" case and not the "I wore this shoe 300 miles and there ain't much left" case.

You serious here?  I have never even come close to wearing holes in the soles (that rhymes) of any of my running shoes.  I've put  >one thousand miles on a few pairs of shoes without wearing the soles that much.

I agree with everyone else that that deal is too good to be true.

xor

Yes ken.  I can put holes in the bottom of an alchemy at 350 miles and in adrenalines at 500.

I have no reason to lie about this.

Edited to add: my form sucks.  I twist the ball of my foot and my toes as I push off.  This wears down soles quickly.  Maybe I could fix it, but it is about #10,363 down on the list of things I'd like to change about myself.

kcam

Yes ken.  I can put holes in the bottom of an alchemy at 350 miles and in adrenalines at 500.

I have no reason to lie about this.

Edited to add: my form sucks.  I twist the ball of my foot and my toes as I push off.  This wears down soles quickly.  Maybe I could fix it, but it is about #10,363 down on the list of things I'd like to change about myself.

No reason to 'fix' anything as you seem to be able to enjoyably run lots and lots without getting hurt.  I was genuinely curious about whether that was said in jest (as sometimes I don't know when you're being serious or not).

I think I'm just spoiled because I live so close to the New Balance factory store, but you said you paid 100 dollars for those shoes? 

Right now, the New Balance factory store is holding their annual sale (which this year is 25% off everything in the store).  I could buy a pair of 769's for just over 50 bucks.  So 100 for the shoes + 10 bucks for the warranty still equals 110 for two pairs of shoes just doesn't sound like much of a deal when you factor in the worrying of having to explain how the shoes go so crunched after a few hundred miles. 

I used to work at a running specialty store and if there were any defects, tears in the shoe, etc, the customers would just bring them back and we'd replace them with a new pair at no cost, then return the defective pair to the manufacturer for a refund.  Obviously, at some point we'd have to draw the line based on the wear on the shoes, but I was surprised at some of the stuff that we were actually able to take back and get credit for.

I'm sure that Sports Authority's a big customer for NB, so they'll probably have the same deal that they can return defective shoes for credit to their account.  In my opinion, if you're paying for the plan, you're wasting $9.95 on top of probably paying too much for the shoes to begin with.  The big stores like that will generally charge full retail, while a lot of specialty stores will discount from that price.

jfa

I have had experiences at both Sports Authority and Roadrunners. SA won't let you return ANY shoes as soon as they are worn outside.That really sucks,as you can't tell if you like them or not until you have run in them a while. RR however,has a 60 day return" no questions asked" policy. Also, I have had two pairs of Nike's that got a "flat". The heel air part popped during normal running.Both times I went onto the Nike web page,filled out a form and sent them back.They sent me a voucher for full replacement value.Moral of story, extended warranties are not needed if the companies back their products.

fritzinator

I bought a new pair of NB 769 last night in Sports Authority.  The salesman offered me a replacement plan ($9.95) for the shoes.  It, supposedly, covers any wear or damage to the shoe for 15 months.  I didn't buy it because I think they are ususally scams but considering these shoes will probably last me until the end of September it was tempting.

Has anyone purchased this coverage?  And have you been able to use it to replace the shoes you have?  If the claims are true $9.95 would be a bargan for replacement of a $100 pair of shoes.

I purchased the coverage. Even though the hand out brochure states that there will be no out of pocket expenses I was told that I have to pay for the postage to send in the damaged shoes (registered and insured).  Even though the replacement itself might work, the plan itself is fraudulent and misleading the consumer. There is no option to bring the shoe back to a store and have them replaced. You will have to send the shoes in (registered and insured mail to have proof you send them in) to get your money back.

************ ATTENTION: CONSUMER FRAUD ******************

Check with your post office beforehand to determine how much this will actually cost you before you purchase the plan. In the end you might end up with saving only $20 and a whole lot of hassle.

Apparently the service is JD Power rated, which I seriously doubt.

Insurance is almost always a bad deal.  In general don't buy insurance on anything you could affort to replace out of pocket in an emergency.

Runners run

Insurance is almost alwaysa Extended Warranties / Warranties are normally bad deals.  In general don't buy insurance on anything you could affort to replace out of pocket in an emergency.

Fixed

769 w/ free shipping from NB store @ $79 all models

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/search_results.asp?qry=r769&s1=dbm&s2=FSWC1b&s3=100809h

2012= under-goaled

I feel the same as the rest of you.     I bought some running shoes for my son at Sport Auth last month and they made me the same offer, but he won't wear them out in a year anyway.

I talked to the clerk whom insisted that fair wear and tear in within a year is covered, and they will replace the shoes.....at which time I told her that I can wear out a pair of running shoes in between 3 and 5 months........

She said, "this this is a really good deal for you then"......

I'm not sure if I am buying it either -- but it 'might' be worth a try once --- you're only out $10 and how many times have you waste/burned or miss spent $10....

A guy from my running club but the plan so I'm waiting to hear how it works out for him....after I find out, I'll post.....  my wife thinks lost of people will buy the plan, but not many will actually use it so for those few of us that will actually wear out some shoes, it really 'might' be a decent deal.....

Champions are made when no one is watching