Vibram Five Fingers - Does anyone have these??? (Read 1655 times)

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/images/products/113//large.jpg I was thinking of buying a pair. They look sweet! Does anyone own a pair who can give me a review? Smile Thanks!
    "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost
      my friends has a pair and i've tried them. they're wierd. basically all they do is give you a little protection from the ground. they're a pain to get your foot into...especially the pinky toe. i don't know about you but my two smallest toes are really close together, and the 5fingers forces them apart which is a strange sensation. if you were planning on using them just to wear around, flip flops are far more comfortable and free feeling. you're into barefoot running or are wanting attention, get them. if not don't.
      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I just bought the Sprint this weekend. I'm easing into them gradually, yesterday I did a 1.5 mile warmup in them, before my planned 8.1 mile run (in normal shoes). I thought I had good form before -- but going nearly barefoot takes it to a whole new level. I felt that I was able to maintain that form even after I switched to my regular shoes (which might have been a little drastic, running a slightly new form for 8.1 miles the first day). Naturally, I'm pretty sore today, especially my calves. So if you're looking to strengthen your feet and lower legs, they certainly deliver. They're exactly what I wanted -- protection from abrasion, but nothing more. I'm going to play it by ear and gradually increase my use of them. Perhaps I'll switch over entirely. To address trksh's concern, I definitely did notice that they allow your toes to spread out much more than normal shoes. Naturally, this feels kinda weird at first, but it's part of the attraction for me.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
          http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/images/products/113//large.jpg I was thinking of buying a pair. They look sweet! Does anyone own a pair who can give me a review? Smile Thanks!
          I've been running in them on an off to strengthen my feet and I love them. Normally I run in Nike Free shoes that don't offer that much support either. I started with short runs and now I can run 10 miles in Fivefingers on trails. I would not run that much on asphalt yet - way too much pounding. I like the Vibrams a lot. They are very light, comfortable and are a great topic of conversation Smile Putting them on is challenging at first but then it is not an issue. So take time for your foot to strengthen and have fun with them.
          I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
            Cool. Thanks guys. I'm not a flashy runner by any means, but I would like to improve my form and stregthen my feet. I'm the kind that tries to take the padding out of my regular shoes and have been trying to find something that was as basic as I could get. Like mocasins or something. Smile Anyway, thanks again. Maybe I'll ask for them for Christmas...
            "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

I haven't tried them (yet) but I have a friend that uses them. He's a barefoot runner and he uses those on trails where there are rocks or other less than perfect terrain.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I've put 56 miles on mine so far. I really like them. But be careful. You definitely need to transistion slowly. I pushed too much too soon and it left my feet quite sore, to the point where I feared stress fractures. I also sprained my foot when I carelessly landed half-on a sharp curb. But I'm getting much more comfortable now. I did 5.6 miles on pavement yesterday with no discomfort at all. I could probably go farther, but I'm playing it safe after my earlier overenthusiasm. I'm sticking to two days a week, with the rest of my runs in m usual shoes. I intend to increase the proportion gradually. So overall I recommend them. But take it slowly, and concentrate hard on learning good barefoot form.

Run to Win

These looks awesome. Curious, if I were to order them, should I order a half size up or down? Are they meant to be worn without socks?

These looks awesome. Curious, if I were to order them, should I order a half size up or down? Are they meant to be worn without socks?
                      No idea on sizing, but you should not wear socks with them. Unless you had ingingis or whatever they are called, you can't wear socks with them (your toes are all separated)

Run to Win

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Curious, if I were to order them, should I order a half size up or down? Are they meant to be worn without socks?
                        They come in European sizes. Mine are size 42. In US sizes, my feet are something like 8.5 extra wide. The FiveFingers are stretchy, however, so it wasn't hard to find a good fit. I bought mine in a City Sports.