Trent... (Read 464 times)

Now that was a bath...

Apologies for taking up yet more of your precious time but I have yet to find any decent information on this. Do you have any idea at all whether my blood condition - Chronic Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura - will be a problem with long distance running. I couldn't find a single bit of information about runners with ITP online. Of course maybe that's a good thing. If it was dangerous I am assuming that there would be some documented evidence of it online! I know that in people with normal platelet levels - there is an improvement in platelet count on completetion of a marathon and my counts have indeed risen since I began running. I was just wondering though if there is a level at which running would become dangerous and whether or not I should inform people on race day. Thanks in advance! Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I imagine that there are no studies in ITP with running or exercise. Heck, there are not tons of studies of ITP at all, other than ones for treatment. And those don't find much. I imagine that as long as your platelets are above 20-50, you are not bruising or bleeding, you should be fine. What does your doc say?

Now that was a bath...

My Doc said that she would expect my platelets to rise slightly (they have) and that I should have 3 month checkups (platelet count/liver function) to monitor that there is no bleeding in my internal organs. That said, I predict that there would only be bleeding in my internal organs if my platelets were really low and they are checked all the time anyhow. It's frustrating how little information you can find on this condition! My platelets are usually great anyhow and seem to have stabilized around the 80-100 mark. I have my next check up in early March and hopefully my results will tell me more. Thanks Trent.
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Aspirin can make platelets dysfunctional too.