Running Boston over and over... (Read 138 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Do Western States next.

Hahahaha!

I think this is ultimately why I'm not that into Boston.  Because if ALL someone wants to talk about is running and racing, I'm probably not going to get along with them.

[and yes, I know I have a running log, a running blog, and an instagram and also participate on multiple running fora....]

To each their own. I assume these people have plenty of other interests as do I, but I’ll probably never know, because I’ll just have a 15-minute interaction with them at the premier event in the world for recreational runners. In that situation, I’ll expect to talk about running.

Dave

DW keeps saying there are other good races out there

I agree with your wife. So far I have made it a thing to do a different one every time. There are races I would do again, but I’d rather try something new. At some point I will no longer be able to run these things, probably sooner rather than later.

FWIW, of the marathons I've done, I'd do Eugene again.  It was a PITA to get to but I loved it for similar reasons that some have mentioned re Boston.  It was pretty cool running around Track Town USA.

It’s driving distance for me, but I agree with everything else here. It’s always my #1 recommendation for anyone looking to cross OR off their 50-state list, or just looking for a race in the PNW in general. One key feature you forgot to mention: the best portapotty-to-runner ratio of any race I’ve done.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Do Western States next.

I think the only people who run western states every year are professionals who hit top ten continually.  They’re probably running it for work unlike the runners doing Boston every year. 

if I could get into western states multiple times I would run it every single year because a lot of local trail runners support it, know it, work it, and the course is close enough for me to become familiar with it to get really good at running western states.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Julia1971

It’s driving distance for me, but I agree with everything else here. It’s always my #1 recommendation for anyone looking to cross OR off their 50-state list, or just looking for a race in the PNW in general. One key feature you forgot to mention: the best portapotty-to-runner ratio of any race I’ve done.

I think that record goes to CIM.  (Here the picture I took when I ran it.)  But, so many other epics things about that race from start (getting off the plan and seeing the "Welcome to Track Town, USA" signs) to finish (doing a final lap around Hayward Field).  Definitely on my list of races to repeat.

I think that record goes to CIM.  (Here the picture I took when I ran it.) 

Maybe, but the layout was terrible! Just one long line of them, extending to infinity, in the direction away from the starting corrals. You had to decide whether to get in a longer line and stay closer, or keep walking and walking, looking for a shorter line. I blame that setup for my assessment that there wasn’t enough time for one final pre-race trip, leading me to need a mid-race stop for the only time ever, which cost me a PR.

Dave

rlopez

I think the only people who run western states every year are professionals who hit top ten continually.  They’re probably running it for work unlike the runners doing Boston every year. 

My comment about Western States was basically a joke and it is true that most of the folks who run it "lots" are sponsored and fast athletes... but I assure you that NOBODY is shrugging States off as running "for work". Meanwhile, a shitload of the faster folks do Boston every year because they kind of feel like "it's what you do". I know many folks in both groups.

BTW, "sponsored" and "top ten" are not the same thing when it comes to States. They provide entries to their sponsors to do with as they see fit. I know because I was a sponsored athlete and I'd NEVER sniff the top 100 there.

Running Problem

Problem Child

My comment about Western States was basically a joke and it is true that most of the folks who run it "lots" are sponsored and fast athletes... but I assure you that NOBODY is shrugging States off as running "for work". Meanwhile, a shitload of the faster folks do Boston every year because they kind of feel like "it's what you do". I know many folks in both groups.

BTW, "sponsored" and "top ten" are not the same thing when it comes to States. They provide entries to their sponsors to do with as they see fit. I know because I was a sponsored athlete and I'd NEVER sniff the top 100 there.

So fast runners run Boston, and you were sponsored and can't get into the top 100 at Western States. Understood. Have a nice day.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mr MattM

My comment about Western States...

Good to see you are still around these parts SRL!

be curious; not judgmental

rlopez

So fast runners run Boston, and you were sponsored and can't get into the top 100 at Western States. Understood. Have a nice day.

Actually that has literally nothing to do really with the point of my post.

I see that you are still the same weird persona online that you were in the past. There's no point in trying to converse with you because you suck at it.

rlopez

Good to see you are still around these parts SRL!

I just show up to put my miles in sometimes. Hi Matt

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I see that you are still the same weird persona online that you were in the past. There's no point in trying to converse with you because you suck at it.

And you’re still an arrogant prick.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

rlopez

And you’re still an arrogant prick.

Not to most of the people around here. Just to a select few of you who are assholes to everybody.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Not to most of the people around here. Just to a select few of you who are assholes to everybody.

Yep.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Okay, so what was your point of telling someone to do western states, then saying your comment was a jok and most of the people who run it again and again are sponsored, and THEN making sure to say you wer sponsored but wouldn’t crack the top 100? I thought I summarized it but apparently I suck at conversations.  Maybe I need to be like you more so I’m asking these questions to gain clarification. Please answer them. I’d appreciate it.

VDOT 53.37