First marathon (Read 616 times)

Dutchie42

Yesterday, 11 May was MARATHON DAY, my first one! It was 25C... yes it was ridiculously warm.I don't like running at those temps. My training was badly effected by the flu (Feb), a hip injury from running in a bad storm (March and it was a stupid idea) and a knee injury just 4 weeks before race day (April, thanks Spooky, my dog). And my food has been crappy for the past two weeks because of this remodelling going on in my house. When I entered for this race, I assumed it would be something like 5 hours. After the knee injury, I was thinking 5h30. When I knew how warm it was gonna be, I was thinking more like 6 hours and with the crappy food in mind maybe even DNF. Anyways, I traveled to the town of Vise in Belgium on Friday after work. Spent Saturday wandering around town. Then joined a Dutch group during the pasta party. Went to bed in time. Sunday morning I was up late and I was very very nervous. I knew my training hadn't been optimal. And that I don't do well at high temps. Walked to the Place de la Reine where the marathon would start and got there 45min. early. Vise had a very festive feel to it. Some people were dressed up: a knight (no shining armour), a clown, an Indian girl, a French maid from the French revolution, a Scott dressed in a kilt and even Jesus was participating, including his cross (no offense). Anyways, there were about 700 runners at the start of the marathon. They all took off really fast. I tried not to go too fast but I didn't want to be left behind either. So my early mileage was a bit faster than advisable: 6:30-6:40min/K. Waaaay too fast. I slowed down but was still going at 6:55. Still too fast.I finally managed to drop my pace after the first waterstation at 5K. Going at 7:25. I made a real effort to slow down. There were water stations at every 2.5K once we passed the first one at 5K. I chatted with everyone in my basic French. Had so much water I could feel the water move in my stomach. Had I swallowed a tiny boat, it would have gone under...Wink Paths were initially asphalt. There were some long concrete stretches in Belgium and those darn cobble stones in Maastricht (Holland). Hate cobble stones. They wreak havoc on my ankles and knees cause they are rounded and unevenly formed. I had to be so careful where I put my feet. My pace slowed down massively after the half way point. The sun did a marvelous job in slowing me down. It was tough. I was surprised that I didn't have to pee at all. I usually have to jump behind trees in training often. I managed OK till 30K. I started to get tired. I was looking for that darn wall everyone talks about, but didn't find it. I kept going at a tantalising slow pace. I was passing people now. And some had collapsed on the grass beside the path. Ha, they shouldn't have run so fast. When I saw the 40K sign, I started crying. Nononono crying before the finish. But when I finally finished, no crying. In short, I ran the entire marathon except when at waterstations where I spent too much time chatting with the volunteers. I drank too much water to the point where I couldn't stand having another sip. I emptied my 2x10oz bottles of sport drink along the way. Had 3 gels / gu. Ate gingerbread, bananas and oranges. Took a bow for people clapping, cheering and encouraging me at the 39K mark. Did a little dance whenever live bands were playing. And applauded them. Said hello and thank you in two languages (hallo, bon jour, dank je wel, merci) to every volunteer stopping traffic or showing the way and gave them my happiest smile. Though at the end, I'm sure it was some sort of contorted grin. Oh yes, I am also very sure I saw the same volunteer at FOUR different places. I swear! And finished in 5h15 and change. Placed 685 of approx. 700 runners of which some had DNF'ed. Event: www.maasmarathon.com Afters, I walked the 1.5K back to the hotel surprising myself I could still walk, wearing my medal and bib still pinned to my running skirt. It was a well organised marathon with incredible scenery and some historic sites. Guess I had more to tell than I thought I did when I started writing Wink And in all honesty, even if it had been a perfect day for running, I don't think I wouldn't have been much faster, if at all. BTW, two weeks ago I registered for the Amsterdam Marathon. LOL hadn't even finished the first one LOL Guess I have to work on running a little faster now Wink

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Congratulations on what sounded like a great run!!

Chris
      PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Congrats Dutchie! Sounds like about as much fun as you can have while running 26.2, well done! Walking after you finish (if you can...) is a REALLY good idea, it's very beneficial to your recovery. I hope you continue to recover quickly and well.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Well done! Congratulations.
          JakeKnight

Great job! Especially beating your goal time. By the way, I was interested that 5:15 put you that far back in the pack. In most big city American marathons, you wouldn't even be close to the back of the pack. I checked my last marathon results (Nashville - CMM) and there would have been almost 1000 runners behind you (out of 4400). And these were finishers. And this isn't even a very big marathon. You had a pretty fast field. Fast runners at the front and fast in the pack. Anybody know if Europe tends to be like this? Just curious.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

C-R

Well done Dutchie! JK - I would surmize it's faster because the beer is better at the end of the race and one doesn't want to waste any good beer drinking time. Tongue

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Well done! Sounds like you had a lot of fun, too, which is important. Should make for great memories.
                JakeKnight

Well done Dutchie! JK - I would surmize it's faster because the beer is better at the end of the race and one doesn't want to waste any good beer drinking time. Tongue
                  That does conform well to the Fourth Rule of Beer: to wit, when in doubt, blame (or credit) goes to the beer. So they have fine Bud Light at the end, then? Awesome. If Trent would give up on that crappy microbrew stuff and get some real beer at his race, I'd probably go sub-3:30 next year.

Dutchie42

I would surmize it's faster because the beer is better at the end of the race and one doesn't want to waste any good beer drinking time. Tongue
                    LOL, I'm sure you're right. This is Belgian beer were talking about. This is the country where Delirium Tremens is brewed (with the pink elephants on the glass) Clowning around JK: sadly, in most races I'm way at the back of the back of the pack. I once came in dead last: HM, 2h25 something. Ran a 30K in September and finished #594 (3h22) out of 605 runners. I did have fun though. And I'm pleased with my time. It's a hilly course and where I live, there's only bridges and that's way different from rolling hills. And the cobble stones? Think Roman empire, that's how old those roads are. Maastricht is a very old city.

Dutchie

Dutchie42

BTW, 4 runners were disqualified. What on earth did they do?

Dutchie

Wonderful, an accomplishment you will remember the rest of your life!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

JakeKnight

JK: sadly, in most races I'm way at the back of the back of the pack. I once came in dead last: HM, 2h25 something. Ran a 30K in September and finished #594 (3h22) out of 605 runners.
                          Interesting. I really wonder if perhaps Europe doesn't have the - how do I put this without sounding elitist? - well, if you just don't have the craze of everybody who runs trying a marathon? If people train longer before they try one? On this side of the pond, once you get under 5:00, you're in the middle of the pack. Here's a random example: if you'd run the 2006 Chicago marathon and run a 5:15, you'd have had 6,000 people behind you. At my recent race, after staying behind for a long, long, long time to watch Trent finish (ha!), we stumbled out to the car by the 20 mile mark - and there were still runners passing it. They were on 7:00 pace or so. Does that just not happen in Belgium? All over Europe? Just curious. I checked your link, by the way - looks like a really cool marathon and a great choice for your first.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

BTW, 4 runners were disqualified. What on earth did they do?
                            Probably wore iPods... Evil grin What a fantastic job, Dutchie! You're a marathoner, now. Got your next one in mind...? Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dutchie42

Got your next one in mind...? Smile
                              Yep, the Amsterdam Marathon on 19 October. Anyone care to join me? They say it's the fastest of the Big Five? http://www.amsterdammarathon.nl/home/index.php?a=YTo3OntpOjU7YToxOntzOjQ6InBhZ2UiO3M6NDoiMTg5NyI7fXM6MjoiNWIiO2E6MTp7czo0OiJwYWdlIjtzOjQ6IjE4OTciO31zOjI6IjVjIjthOjE6e3M6NDoicGFnZSI7czo0OiIxODk3Ijt9aTo2O2E6MTp7czo0OiJwYWdlIjtzOjQ6IjE4OTciO31zOjI6IjZiIjthOjE6e3M6NDoicGFnZSI7czo0OiIxODk3Ijt9czoyOiI2YyI7YToxOntzOjQ6InBhZ2UiO3M6NDoiMTg5NyI7fXM6MjoiNmUiO2E6MTp7czo0OiJwYWdlIjtzOjQ6IjE4OTciO319&name=1897

Dutchie