Windchill did me in today (Read 262 times)

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Run with it? not against it? problem solved.

And get home how? Nice idea but where I run, not really possible Or I would have done it.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Latent Runner

And get home how? Nice idea but where I run, not really possible Or I would have done it.

Oh come on; be creative.  When I was a kid I used to walk ten miles to and from school everyday, up hill and against the wind in both directions.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      JPF

How are you faring in the Arctic blast? If you tell me you are in San Diego or Miami, let's just say I'm hating ya today. Smile

I'm in L.A.  I decided to wear a shirt this morning on my run.  I think that was the right call.

MTA: The crazy thing here is that I always see these people bundled up with long everything, gloves, etc. when it's like 54 degrees out.  I don't see how/why they do it.  Some of these folks seem to be fairly serious runners too.  At least they're moving fairly fast and seem to be in shape.

Hoban-Jay

it's a balmy 35F here...i'm lovin it!

Latent Runner

I'm in L.A.  I decided to wear a shirt this morning on my run.  I think that was the right call.

MTA: The crazy thing here is that I always see these people bundled up with long everything, gloves, etc. when it's like 54 degrees out.  I don't see how/why they do it.  Some of these folks seem to be fairly serious runners too.  At least they're moving fairly fast and seem to be in shape.

I had the same reaction a couple of weeks back; I got my regular winter gear on, two long sleeved shirts, gloves, hat, and leggings, and went outside.  I hadn't even reached my car when I turned around and went back inside because it felt more like forty-something instead of our usual twenty-something.  I lost the hat, gloves, and second shirt and replaced the leggings with shorts; on my way to the trail head I went by a runner fully decked out in winter gear, and all I could do was shake my head.  Even with the lightweight clothing I was wearing I was too hot; by the four mile mark I had to take my sweat soaked shirt off and tie it around my waist; turns out it was up in the low fifties.

Today's run was something entirely different; the cemetery where I usually run was too icy to be safe, so I headed out on roads I didn't know all that well and paid the price.  I got kind of lost, and ended up going about ten miles, and in areas where there were few trees to block the wind, which was WNW at 20 mph gusting to 30, which in turn made the 10°F air temperature feel like -9°F to exposed skin, my more or less bald head and my face and head got so cold I got what felt like a "head freeze" from eating ice-cream too fast.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Shipo, you run in a cemetery?

Latent Runner

Shipo, you run in a cemetery?

Normally I am a trail runner, however, with the short winter days combined with the highly variable winter condition of the trails near my home (some days wonderful, other days they are a broken ankle looking for a place to happen, still others feature mushy snow where forward traction is nearly zero), it is often my best bet to run in the cemetery next to the campus where I work.  The cemetery is picturesque, quite hilly, usually plowed and salted, has few cars, and has several loops I can choose from (I typically combine a number of 1.7 mile and 1.2 mile loops to make up the distance I'm trying to hit).

The above said, I'm looking forward to March 9th (the beginning of Daylight Savings Time for 2014) and the final spring thaw; even running in mud is easier than the trail conditions we've had over the last week or so.  Smile

Fat old man PRs: