2022 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 173 times)

Julia1971

I am out of the race this year and wasn't planning on starting a 2022 thread but no one else did so here we go!  I look forward to watching from home this year.

I saw the celebration jacket is out.  Personally, I love blue and purple together but would have made the yellow stripes white or black.

Also, t I did eventually post my 2021 race report if anyone is interested.

Who's racing?  How are the early days of training going?  It's snowed a lot here in the D.C. area so far this year and it's really disrupted my training schedule.

smoothrunner99

I'm racing this year. I'm 46 and this will be my 5th Boston. My last Boston was in 2016, during which I crashed and burned. It was my 2nd slowest of 31 marathons. I crawled in with a 3:46 in a race I expected to run sub 3:20.

I qualified for this Boston at the 2019 Chicago Marathon with a 3:17. With the extended window due to covid, I decided to run for what is very likely my last Boston. Can't let 2016 be last one. My Boston PR is 3:02 in 2009.Training for a 3:25 this year here in Chicagoland and feeling great so far. I still follow the Advance Marathoning 55mpw plan from Pfitzinger after all these years. It's gold.

delicate flower

I'm in.  I really did not think I'd get in with my -1:09 and was thrilled when I got that e-mail.  I am glad I applied despite my expectations of disappointment..  January weather has been really rough so far.  My running has been fine, but it's taken some effort to work around the weather.  Since the flat rail trail and high school tracks are buried in snow, I've been running all of the roads in town, which means tons of hills, which I suppose is good for Boston training.

Looking forward to Boston.  I've already locked in my 2023 qualifier too with my Thanksgiving weekend 3:15 (BQ - 9:45).  I'll buy the jacket for every Boston I run no matter ugly it is, although I don't find this year's as offensive as some people seem to (it's just a jacker ffs).  This will be #3. 

<3

Julia1971

I'm racing this year. I'm 46 and this will be my 5th Boston. My last Boston was in 2016, during which I crashed and burned. It was my 2nd slowest of 31 marathons. I crawled in with a 3:46 in a race I expected to run sub 3:20.

I qualified for this Boston at the 2019 Chicago Marathon with a 3:17. With the extended window due to covid, I decided to run for what is very likely my last Boston. Can't let 2016 be last one. My Boston PR is 3:02 in 2009.Training for a 3:25 this year here in Chicagoland and feeling great so far. I still follow the Advance Marathoning 55mpw plan from Pfitzinger after all these years. It's gold.

2016 must have been rough.  I had to go back into my log...  That was a relatively hot year, right?

I'm a huge fan of Pfitz for marathon training.  I always feel super prepared after following those plans.

Julia1971

I'm in.  I really did not think I'd get in with my -1:09 and was thrilled when I got that e-mail.  I am glad I applied despite my expectations of disappointment..  January weather has been really rough so far.  My running has been fine, but it's taken some effort to work around the weather.  Since the flat rail trail and high school tracks are buried in snow, I've been running all of the roads in town, which means tons of hills, which I suppose is good for Boston training.

Looking forward to Boston.  I've already locked in my 2023 qualifier too with my Thanksgiving weekend 3:15 (BQ - 9:45).  I'll buy the jacket for every Boston I run no matter ugly it is, although I don't find this year's as offensive as some people seem to (it's just a jacker ffs).  This will be #3. 

I know you've had a couple/few years when you've qualified and not gotten in so I'm always so happy when you get to run!

Congrats on the 2023 qualifier!  Maybe if I can get myself in gear we can meet up.  (I'm thinking 2022 Marine Corps as my next marathon.)

(Ugliest jacket is that green and pink number from a few years ago.  I'm positive Clinton and Stacy would agree.)

smoothrunner99

2016 was a head scratcher for me for sure. It was pretty warm but nothing like the 2007 Chicago Marathon. I put in the usual training and even ran a 1:32 half four weeks before the race. But many of my training notes suggest fatigue in my long runs. In retrospect, I was in career transition and I believe that the stress of change took its toll.

Pfitz is the best plan ever. I swear by it and recommend it to lesser experienced folks. I wouldn't have done any Bostons without.

2016 must have been rough.  I had to go back into my log...  That was a relatively hot year, right?

I'm a huge fan of Pfitz for marathon training.  I always feel super prepared after following those plans.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I would have been racing but decided to postpone it to 2023. I wish I would have removed my credit card from the application because I find it annoying they tell me it is non-refundable when I could simply drop out and let someone else who WANTS to run it participate.

Thankfully, I don't like the jacket. Next year it will be worse for sure.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I’m running, barring injury or COVID, which derailed my 2019 and 2020 races, or something new to mess it up. This will be my first if I get there. I just ordered the jacket against my better judgement. Just can’t see my 58 year old, less than cool self, sporting that thing around town or even with a group of fellow runners. Anyway, I’m in SE MI so dealing with winter training but, so far, not too bad. Hope to meet some of you in person in Boston!

Julia - thanks for starting the thread and I need to read up on your Boston posts.

I just ordered the jacket against my better judgement. Just can’t see my 58 year old, less than cool self, sporting that thing around town or even with a group of fellow runners.

You made the right call. You will be cool among fellow runners.

Dave

Flyingscotzman

56 year old male will be running his second Boston Marathon.

I've started my training but not enjoying having to go out and run in the dark and cold New York evenings.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’m running, barring injury or COVID, which derailed my 2019 and 2020 races, or something new to mess it up. This will be my first if I get there. I just ordered the jacket against my better judgement. Just can’t see my 58 year old, less than cool self, sporting that thing around town or even with a group of fellow runners. Anyway, I’m in SE MI so dealing with winter training but, so far, not too bad. Hope to meet some of you in person in Boston!

Julia - thanks for starting the thread and I need to read up on your Boston posts.

Best of luck training in winter conditions. 2022 would have been my first. I’m putting it off until 23.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

From the Internet.

I'll be jogging it! Qualified with a 3:13 in fall 2019 and won't be in shape to re-qualify this year, it'll be my first and I just want to run the dang thing already. I'm training through the Massachusetts winter with my almost 7 month old son in a stroller so just great decisions all the way around! Hopefully I'll actually make it to the start line!

I'll be there.  Like smoothrunner99, 2016 was a dumpster fire for me.  I ran in the 2018 monsoon and actually ran reasonably well but it just wasn't the kind of year where you could put down a time to remember.  I was signed up for 2020 before it canceled so I'm more or less sticking to even years.  I'll be there with a bunch of masters runners from my racing team, hoping to challenge BAA for the masters team win after we were third in 2018.  It generally takes an average time of around 2:39 - 2:40 for each of your three runners that score.  Of the group we are bringing, I think I have the fifth best PR of 2:39:11 so in all likelihood, I'm an emergency runner in case one of the others blows up.  I'd love to notch a sub 2:40 at Boston if conditions and training allow.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'll be there again this year too!  4th Boston.  I'm excited for it, just booked my hotel room :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                              Gatorade Endurance Team

Flyingscotzman

I'm in for my second run at Boston.

I just ran a 20miler (8:49 pace) today in 24F temperature.