10k or HM? (Read 924 times)

Finished!

Alright, clearly the iPod + a good run today + happy running endorphins have knocked me clear off my rocker. I'm hunting for my next race. I am targeting the Lost Dutchman family of runs. http://www.lostdutchmanmarathon.org/ The races are Feb 18. 10k is well within my reach. My longest training run so far has been 7k. Of course, I like sparkly things - like hardware. And if I finish the HM, even if I come in last, I'd get a shiny participants medal....so I went looking at novice HM training plans, and it appears that I do have the time to train for such madness. The question is do I 10k or go for the HM? Am I crazy? I think so. Its those dratted endorphins I tell you.
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry

madness baby

I'd say you've got good base mileage and can increase to an HM. As long as you are a decent rester, though it seems many of us here are not. Runnersworld.com has a customized training program considering your current base mileage, your time frame, and your target race. I created a 14-week program to go from never having run before to a HM, and I am currently still alive and holding up well at 7 weeks. It's nice to see that little graph stagger upwards. Can you schedule in a 10K at some point before the Feb. 18 race date? It's really helped me to schedule in a 5K, a 5mile, and then I have a 10K next weekend. That makes my HM training easier. I'd say do it. But hey, my friends all think I'm crazy. . .but I'm starting to call myself a runner, and it's only been 7 weeks! Hee hee http://www.runningahead.com/images/forum/emo_smile_big.gif
      deb
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Runnersworld has a good trainig plan, but you might want to look at others too before you settle on one. I started with Higdon's novice HM plan and adapted it from there. Why don't you wait until tomorrow to make the decision. But in the mean time, you can prepare to start training for the HM. If you train for a HM, you'll certainly be able to run the 10K by the time Feb gets here! And who knows... you might surprise youself and feel ready to tackle the HM by then! Yep. That's what I'd suggest for ya... prepare for the HM, knowing that at the very least it'll help you with your 10K and might just get you that HM shiny finisher's medal... Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Yet again Wingz has given some excellent advice!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Wingz

Professional Noob

Yet again Wingz has given some excellent advice!
            I think I like this gal... Wink Tongue

Finished!

Why don't you wait until tomorrow to make the decision.
              LOL - I dont have to "decide" until later in December. After Jan 1 the registration fee goes up. I was looking at the Higdon Novice plan for training - I figure my current base training puts me in the first week or two of that training program, which gives me *just* enough time to squeek in the HM. Course, I've no problem walking if I have to - I recall walking several races when I was in High School because my "coach" insisted I enter the event (I was a hurdler and had issues with my knees and ankles).
              Walk + Jog = wog.
              Wingz

Professional Noob

You know, one thing that worked for me when I was training for my HM was to pick a "back-up" HM a few weeks later. I had worked a few extra weeks into the schedule so that if I got sick or sprained an ankle or something I could still get through the program, but I wanted another race to fall back to in case I wasn't able to complete the program in the time I had. (I guess I didn't have much faith in myself...) I signed up for my goal race, but promised myself that if for some reason I wasn't able to do that one that I'd do my back-up one... even though I'd have to pay a late entry fee! You said you've *barely* got time to fit the training in. You may want to look and see if you can find another HM 3-5 weeks out from that point that would work for you as a back-up in case you weren't able to meet your original goal. Running in a HM doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing deal. Smile

Finished!

I think what I might do is pick up on HM training next week, see how things go through december and then decide which to register for (HM or 10k) in the meantime, I'll see what other local events are around so perhaps if I have to push things out, there may still be a HM for this "season" *sigh* I'm dreading the summer heat coming back - I really don't know what I'm going to do as I'll be chained to a dreadmill.
                  Walk + Jog = wog.
                    I say go for the half marathon. Smile I started running last January as part of a training program for a half marathon. I hadn't run a step in years before the first day of training and 16 weeks later was able to run the HM in under 2.5 hours (my goal). It was a great experience. I just signed up for the 2007 race last night. Smile Teresa
                    JakeKnight

10k is well within my reach.
                      Then why do it? Do the half marathon. You stud. Go inspire us. You know you want to. If there wasn't a chance of failure, it wouldn't be a challenge. Or any fun. Run the 10-k after. Or before. Or both. I'd go with both. That way you can marvel at your improvement. There's a big, shiny, heavy medal somewhere with your name on it ...

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Scout7

Then why do it? Do the half marathon. You stud. Go inspire us. You know you want to. If there wasn't a chance of failure, it wouldn't be a challenge. Or any fun. Run the 10-k after. Or before. Or both. I'd go with both. That way you can marvel at your improvement. There's a big, shiny, heavy medal somewhere with your name on it ...
                        I agree with the simian. Why not challenge yourself? You clearly have enough time to train up for it properly, so the risk is reduced.

madness baby

YOU CAAN DOOOO IT!
                          deb
                          JakeKnight

YOU CAAN DOOOO IT!
                            And if not, at least now you have people to blame. Big grin

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Finished!

And if not, at least now you have people to blame. Big grin
                              LOL hey, it was you who got me reading Galloway, who says it's perfectly acceptable to walk if I have to - so one way or another the distance would get done. The HM distance is a typical hiking distance for me - though if I start in with the HM training, my hiking my get reduced. My husband, btw, is happy with this new obsession, though he thinks I've lost it.
                              Walk + Jog = wog.

madness baby

LOL My husband, btw, is happy with this new obsession, though he thinks I've lost it.
                                Lost what? ha
                                deb