'blockers' - people who interrupt who when you are running (Read 1306 times)

The Plodder

Wasn't really sure whether there is a term for these people? On Sunday evening I decided to go out for a run - I hadn't had any other chance over the weekend and felt as though I needed it - even if it was only for less than an hour. It was hammering down with rain and the wind was blowing - so a typical British summer evening Smile I am about 2 miles in and I there are a couple of guys who are going door to door with pamphlets etc, one of them decides to try to stop me and asks me if I have embraced Jesus. Now I have no axe to grind against Jehovah's Witnesses or any other relgious group, I am happy that they have found salvation and are willing to share - but I think he was taking a liberty in trying to interrupt me. A mile further down the road I got asked by some fella if i had any spare change!! I dont know about any one else on here, but I just tend to carry my water bottle and my mobile phone with me. Its the first time I have experienced this and to be honest I think these people are showing a complete lack of awareness of what I am doing. Anyone else have stuff like this happen?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I really haven't "run" into that, luckily. For years I was saddened by the fact that people in our small community are so insular and practically avoid eye contact with those who they haven't known since childhood (we moved here 7 years ago), but now it's actually kind of nice in some ways. I know that I can go out on a run and not be bothered by anyone. The most I get now is jerks honking at me or hollering out the car window. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

The most I get now is jerks honking at me or hollering out the car window.
        Ah... so that was you. Evil grin

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ah... so that was you. Evil grin
          Did you see my finger?! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I've never had run-in's like that. Just the other day as I was running, I came up on a fire hall that was having some sort of party and the sidewalk was crowded and the street was busy. I ended up walking through that section, it was just easier. Then we all watched as a puppy...being chased by a little girl, almost got squished by a car, and then we all screamed at the girl to stop when she just about darted out in front of the once again moving vehicle! But nope, nobody with literature or needing change has ever stopped me.

Michelle

Only semi-related, but this morning I headed out in the dark, shortly after 5am. Not even a mile into the run, still yawning, I see a couple walking up ahead. Being nice, I moved off the sidewalk and onto the grass to pass them and noticed that the man had a stick in his hand and that he started tensing up with it as I approached. Fortunately for me, he glanced over his shoulder and realized I was "just a jogger". He visibly relaxed and I was glad that I wasn't "blocked" or "interrupted" by the man's stick. Shocked

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

On my long runs, there is a 2 mile stretch at the beginning on a country road that has no side walk and only about 3 ft of shoulder, so I run as far right as possible (I know I should run against traffic). As I was running I saw a police / sherriff car come by on the other side of the road. I was thinking, I wonder if he is going to come give me a hard time for running on a busy road on the wrong side. About 3 minutes later out of my peripheral I see a black car pull up next to me. Uh oh! Look over and it wasn't the cop, but an elderly man who stopped me to ask directions. I told him to pull over to the side and gave him the directions he needed and off we went. At first I was shaken to think it was a cop, then kind of mad that my run was interrupted, then felt good to know that I had helped him (he was about 5 miles in the wrong direction), then thought it made sense for him to stop a runner who is obviously a local for directions.
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ok, this one is like the worst case scenario. This happened when I was in high school. I was out running right near my home (against traffic on the left hand-side of the road). A car went by with two shirtless "burnout" looking dudes (we called 'em burnouts back in the 80's. Really, they were rednecks). As the car passed me, dude in the passenger seat pitched his lit cigarette out the window and it hit me. It was clearly not an accident. Once I figured out what had happened, I turned around and started flipping them off and cursing. They were about a block past me at this point. they must have seen/heard me because the next I saw was brakelights and them squealing to a stop. And then driving back down the street fast in reverse. Shocked They were chasing me down! I took off running. I started cutting through yards, and I saw the car several more times, as they drove around the neighborhood looking for me. I was really close to home, but I didn't want them to see where I lived so I just worked my way through yards and side streets until I could approach my house safely and stealthily. I didn't get a good look at them or their plates, but I since I was a really skinny runner dude there were two of them I didn't want to take my chances. And I knew I could outrun them. Yes I have a term for them. Sounds a little like "blockers" except that it starts with an 'F' and the vowel is a 'u.' Angry

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Anyone else have stuff like this happen?
                    Yes! I was stopped at a red light and someone tried to give me a Jesus loves you pamphlet. Lady, look at me. My iPod is clipped to my waistband, my house key is tied to my shoelace ... does it look like I want to CARRY anything? Ugh!!
                    2009: BQ?
                      A car went by with two shirtless "burnout" looking dudes. I have a term for them. Sounds a little like "blockers" except that it starts with an 'F' and the vowel is a 'u.'
                      For some reason, the music from Deliverance came to mind reading your post. BTW - what is a Flucker? Clowning around

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

BTW - what is a Flucker? Clowning around
                        What the fluck do you think it is? Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Two incidents come to mind where I had to deal with fluckers.... The first, I was out for an evening run on my college campus, ran past an SUV full of students stopped at a red light and as they pulled out, a female student threw a cup of ice in my face. I tried to get their tag, but they were already far down the street when I shook off the shock of the experience. Mean girls! Second incident, another evening run on campus and came to a narrow part of the sidewalk as three female students were walking shoulder to shoulder, line abreast on the sidewalk. As I got closer, none of them made a move to step aside. I came so close to breaking a personal rule and throwing a shoulder into the closest one, but instead I chose to dance over tree roots and broken curb instead of running them over. Mean girls! Okay, I feel better now...
                          If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
                            Two incidents come to mind where I had to deal with fluckers.... The first, I was out for an evening run on my college campus, ran past an SUV full of students stopped at a red light and as they pulled out, a female student threw a cup of ice in my face. I tried to get their tag, but they were already far down the street when I shook off the shock of the experience. Mean girls! Second incident, another evening run on campus and came to a narrow part of the sidewalk as three female students were walking shoulder to shoulder, line abreast on the sidewalk. As I got closer, none of them made a move to step aside. I came so close to breaking a personal rule and throwing a shoulder into the closest one, but instead I chose to dance over tree roots and broken curb instead of running them over. Mean girls! Okay, I feel better now...
                            They are mean. You should have broken a rule and thrown that shoulder!!

Michelle

Ha ha! Thanks, Michelle!
                              If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
                                Once I was running along when this guy stopped me and asked me if I had a light for his cigarette? I mean does it really look that likely?