Kid Broke School Record -- Or Did He? (Read 262 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Not only should he run it in an open race, but he should start 9.344m behind the starting line so that he can also get a PR for a "real" distance -- the mile.  No, I don't hate the 1600m as much as mikeymike, but it's close.  I also hate the 1500m -- everyone should just run the damn mile.

I doubt that the flying start made 3 seconds worth of difference, and the kid did cover 1600m faster than the school record, but it's gotta be in an open race or first relay leg to count.  Now mind you, if he never beats that time again, he can certainly call it his 1600m PR.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

deleted

Jeremy W

Granted, it's been a while since I ran track so I may be wrong. But here's another factor to consider.

For the anchor leg of the 4x1600m relay, he's going to take the baton in his lane at a running start, and as soon as he leaves the exchange zone he's breaking to the inside of the turn. There may be some traffic but not a huge amount to deal with.

For the individual 1600m, everyone's starting at the same line, right? And at least at my school you might have 15 people or more running. So you have to deal with a lot of traffic at the start, people from the outside cutting in, and navigating a relatively large pack for at least the first lap.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Allyson Felix ran 49.59 at Daegu World Champs (2011) in the open 400.

She split 47.80 at London Olympics (2012) in the 4x400.

Which is her PR?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Which is her PR?

I'd say her PR is 47.80* where that asterisk indicates "Relay Split."

But, that's not the same as a school record for a stand-alone event.

joescott

Which is her PR?

That's easy.  It's up to her.  That's what puts the "personal" in PR.

So even with a running start, and assuming she was at the exact same level of fitness in the two races, the running start was only worth 1.2 seconds in a 400 where those ladies practice sprinters' handoffs and really know what they are doing.  There's no way it's worth more than a second in a mile.  Probably more like half a second at best when you've got a couple of clumsy high school distance runners handing off to each other.  It's not worth nothing, but it ain't much.  It certainly is not nearly enough to account for the 3.2 seconds he was under the school record.  But based on everyone's sound feedback, I've definitely abandoned my considered quixotic quest to take this up with the AD.  Instead, I'm following spaniel's advice.  Show him the times.  Build the fire.  He races today against his two teammates, all three of which are capable of pushing each other pretty good.  Certainly there is no reason all three of them could not come through 1200 on school record pace (assuming it doesn't get windy this afternoon, that is).

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Feeling the growl again

He races today against his two teammates, all three of which are capable of pushing each other pretty good.  Certainly there is no reason all three of them could not come through 1200 on school record pace (assuming it doesn't get windy this afternoon, that is).

Let us know what happens please.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

joescott

Let us know what happens please.

4:26, 4:28 and 4:30 for our 3 guys who finished 1, 2, 3 in this fairly dinky little meet.  The hero of our story was 3rd with the 4:30.  He made his move on "#1" at about the 800m mark, but I think didn't make a strong enough move, #1 countered and blasted him the last quarter, and then #2 cleaned him up in the jet wash.

It's OK, we have a couple of fairly high quality meets the next couple of weeks with some competition from other schools that can go < 4:20, and that will help them all, I think.

It was a weird night, and I also think there is a little somethin'-somethin' going around.  We have had a mystery virus go through our whole family the last 10 days or so, taking us out 1 by 1.  My firstborn son was down with it on Sunday/Monday, and ran a terrible (for him) 800 and 3200 tonight.  I think it was because he was sick this week, but he doesn't like the sound of that because he thinks it sounds like making excuses.  Anyway, I kinda wonder if he and my other son (who missed the meet today because *he* is puny now) might have passed it on to one or more of their team mates.  Hope not.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Feeling the growl again

Wow, 10sec difference.  Well, hopefully he doesn't get disheartened.  If he can do it once he can at least get close to doing it again.

MTA:  I just shake my head at this.  My high school's record is 4:29.  The guy who set it is 38-39 now and I don't think anybody has come within 10-15sec of that since.

4:26, 4:28 and 4:30 for our 3 guys who finished 1, 2, 3 in this fairly dinky little meet.  The hero of our story was 3rd with the 4:30.  He made his move on "#1" at about the 800m mark, but I think didn't make a strong enough move, #1 countered and blasted him the last quarter, and then #2 cleaned him up in the jet wash.

It's OK, we have a couple of fairly high quality meets the next couple of weeks with some competition from other schools that can go < 4:20, and that will help them all, I think.

It was a weird night, and I also think there is a little somethin'-somethin' going around.  We have had a mystery virus go through our whole family the last 10 days or so, taking us out 1 by 1.  My firstborn son was down with it on Sunday/Monday, and ran a terrible (for him) 800 and 3200 tonight.  I think it was because he was sick this week, but he doesn't like the sound of that because he thinks it sounds like making excuses.  Anyway, I kinda wonder if he and my other son (who missed the meet today because *he* is puny now) might have passed it on to one or more of their team mates.  Hope not.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills