Soooo excited for this! (Read 567 times)

For Christmas, my mother-in-law surprised me with an entry into the Nantucket Rock Run this August. It's a 50 mile beach run, done by 5 team members in increments from 7-12.5 miles each. All the females on that side of the family are going to participate as a team and I get to join them! They want me to do either the 12 or 12.5 leg, which I'm so excited about since it will almost be the distance of my planned Jan. 28th HM that I can no longer run in due to injury. I just thought it was a really cool gift, everyone got running socks and a T-shrt and hat that say Nantucket to train in. I grew up in New England, but have never been to Nantucket, but from the pictures and race information it looks incredible: http://www.therockrun.com/

Now that was a bath...

That race looks great! I am thinking of doing an 11km beach run in March (Autumn here). I like the idea of running in the sand! That is such a cool gift. How lucky you are to have other runners in the family too. It sounds like it will be a really special day for you all. Claire xxx
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, wow...that is WAY cool! What a great event! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Wow! I am so jealous!!!

Roads were made for journeys...

That race looks great! I am thinking of doing an 11km beach run in March (Autumn here). I like the idea of running in the sand!
            Yep, beach running sounds like a nice change from the roads/sidewalks. We live near the beach (lucky, I know) but it's really steep and soft sand so you have to time beach runs for low tide if you want to run on flat, hard sand. We only have about 4 miles of beach too, so I guess I'll be running up and down it a lot once I get training. It's amazing how sore your muscles are when you start up on the beach again after a few weeks of road-only. My calves should (hopefully) be huge in a good way by August! Cool

Finished!

omg, how awesome is that? Big grin
              Walk + Jog = wog.
              I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
              I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                Your mother-in-law is a keeper! And Nantucket! What a fantastic island! OK, I am envious but from California that would be too far. Have a great race! Ewa
                I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                mikeymike

A friend of mine did that race solo a couple of times. He didn't really have a crew, so he went around the island and buried food for himself on the beach in different places. He described a pretty funny scene of running along an up-scale tourist beach looking like something the cat spit up and then suddenly stopping, digging a hole in the sand, pulling out a PB&J sandwich and eating it--much to the shock of the nearby beachgoers. Have fun!

Runners run

A friend of mine did that race solo a couple of times. He didn't really have a crew, so he went around the island and buried food for himself on the beach in different places. He described a pretty funny scene of running along an up-scale tourist beach looking like something the cat spit up and then suddenly stopping, digging a hole in the sand, pulling out a PB&J sandwich and eating it--much to the shock of the nearby beachgoers. Have fun!
                    that sounds hilarious!