PH Levels (Read 897 times)

I got this piece of Litmus paper in my race kit yesterday. The company that issued the litmus paper does sell some supplement to increase your alkaline level. To much acid is bad, is this lactic acid? Apparently too much alkaline is bad as well. Anyway there is a little pH level scale that comes with the paper, so that you can check yours to see where you fall. The scale starts at 6.0 and is a mustard color which is very acidic. The other end is 8.0 and a very dark green color. So I decide to test myself, well when I dropped the thing in my urine it went off white in color, which is off the scale on the acidic end when you go by color. My question is are runners always acidic and this is to be expected?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is a friggen joke, isn't it. This cannot possibly be for real. Next thing you know, people are gonna start putting tap water in bottles and selling it. Jesus M. Phelps.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

(BTW, please just ignore me. Busy busy weekend at work, no running, inadequate sleep and food...but this is just silly.)
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Okay. Sorry. I ate a lovely mushroom omelet. Fresh eggs, traditional butter and chaterelles mixed with lobster mushrooms. I feel better. The human body is very complex. The physiology that handles acid and base production, equilibration and elimination involves many organ systems. Your urinary system is one of them. But so too is your pulmonary system and your entire blood/hematologic system. With these in place, your body is able to keep its pH at 7.4. Not 7.39-7.41. But exactly 7.40. Your body is very very good at doing this, and the moment it senses something pushing your pH in one direction or another, it rapidly deals with the problem. When you pH deviates much from 7.4, you become very ill or very symptomatic. As a result of this, your urine pH can have a very wide normal range as your body handles the excess acids and bases that it consumes, encounters or creates over the course of the day. This is totally normal. If you ingest some expensive nutritional supplement designed to provide you alkali, you will simply pee off the excess base. Immediately. If you go out and run a hard 5k, set a 3 minute PR and feel like somebody took sledge hammers to your legs with the lactic acid we presume causes the pain, your body will: a) buffer that acid very efficiently, and b) rapidly metabolize it away. Acid / base physiology is very cool and very complicated. It is one of those awesome things we have as a source for using Socratic method when teaching students. Dude. But it is not something you can manipulate with a supplement or about which you can get much diagnostic information in an otherwise healthy runner peeing on litmus paper.

#artbydmcbride

Whew, this is good to know. I really didn't want to start dropping paper in my pee and matching it to a color chart. thanks, Trent! Cool

Runners run

Okay. Sorry. I ate a lovely mushroom omelet. Fresh eggs, traditional butter and chaterelles mixed with lobster mushrooms. I feel better.
              Are you related to Frazier Crane?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Are you related to Frazier Crane?
                He's my Uncle.
                  OK thanks Trent, I only did one test the directions said to cut up the paper and do several tests to get a true report. Someday I'll start reading directions. Anyway here is the site and the stuff they're selling. http://genuinehealth.com/english/

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Again Ph levels along with Cholesterol levels are out there as a marketing hype trying to get you buy into the fact that your not healthy. Its almost like Wall Street crying that they are unhealthy and need help; its all a bunch of bull; I don't think your going to find a morgue report stating that PH was low and the cause of death. Its the old cause and effect act, your not this because of that, I studied PH and even bought some papers and they probably want you to take Coral Calcium, I could never get my PH up and so I gave up. You have to remember that the FDA doesn't regulate the health food industry and so its easy prey to make up some wild claim and scam some people. There probably is a percentage of good to come out of it, but its probably less than 1 percent of your overall health.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is loads of excellent science linking elevated cholesterol with increased morbidity and early mortality from a whole host of factors, including heard disease and stroke. There is loads of excellent science linking cholesterol lowering therapy with reduced morbidity and early mortality. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I think these Litmus papers could be a big hit with pool owners. I have a pool and the pool store loves to sell you expensive chemicals to keep it balanced. I'm going to get me some of these litmus papers. Then if the pH is off in my pool, I can just go for a run and then pee in the pool. Problem solved, thanks Trent.
                        Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.