what's your ibuprofen dosage and schedule for ultras? (Read 150 times)

rlopez

I will probably regret posting in this thread. But I have lots of experience in the areas of pain management and pill taking.

As to the idea of "masking pain", it is motrin, not morphine. I've never once had motrin do anything for me beyond taking a bit of the edge off. Maybe. Masking the idea that I've torn a muscle, broken a bone, or some of the other "be careful, if you can't feel THAT, you might be in real trouble" stuff? Yeah. Nah. I am not afraid of ibuprofen making me miss a stress fracture and then whoopsie. Shit, it doesn't even get rid of a headache.

The kidney stuff is real. The contribution to stomach bleeding is real. Because the kidney stuff is real, the potential of ibu kicking me into rhabdo is real. The possible correlation with hyponatremia is possibly real. 

All for a med that doesn't do much for me.

Nah.

ALL THAT SAID, anyone I've known or read about that got into serious trouble while taking motrin was gobbling the shit like candy. Don't do that. There's a max daily dosage for a reason and more is not better.

That's all I got.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Mr Finn, thanks for the link! OP is asking about ultras. there is a small study from Western States suggesting that hyponatremia is more likely a problem for kidneys than dehydration for long ultras. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21941013

but i bet nsaids are also a problem here too! anything that restricts blood flow whether in the case of dehydration OR hyponatremia.

kcam: i should emphasize that for me taking nsaids during a 50+ miler my biggest concern is recovery. that's why these things are more 'just finish' kind of things rather than 'leave it all out there'. i'd rather have a mediocre performance and keep running than kill myself for a month like marathoners do. to each their own.

hopefully most people are aware of the dangers of nsaids (and many other drugs out there)...i am actually more interested in hearing about people's experience using cbd oil and if it helps or hinders recovery...but seeing as how long it has taken to even get a small study on ultras and hyponatremia, i doubt any useful info will be forthcoming soon

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24