Sore heading out only (Read 133 times)

This has been happening to me lately. I'll feel slightly sore and tender in the shins as I am heading out into an out & back run (and in some cases, not sure if I can finish the run) but any tenderness has completely disappeared by the time I make the turnaround. Furthermore, if I run some strides or do slow skipping after running, it loosens up my legs even more and they feel better than before I started running. Is this sort of pain something to be worried about? I think I'm getting better at differentiating between what is just 'discomfort' that I can push through and what is actual PAIN that should not be ignored.

Would it be good then to do the strides BEFORE  my run if they help get me loosened up? Thanks

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

Julia1971

I wouldn't do strides on cold muscles.  I would think you'd be more likely to pull a muscle doing that.

As far as the soreness/tenderness, I don't feel I'm qualified to speak to it.  I've had shin splint but I think people have posted on RA about thinking they had shin splints and finding out they actually had a stress fracture.  I wish I could be more helpful but in either case, a PT might be able to help.  If it's serious, they can tell you so and if it's something like shin splints, I think they might be able to tape them to make it a little less painful.

I wouldn't do strides on cold muscles.  I would think you'd be more likely to pull a muscle doing that.

As far as the soreness/tenderness, I don't feel I'm qualified to speak to it.  I've had shin splint but I think people have posted on RA about thinking they had shin splints and finding out they actually had a stress fracture.  I wish I could be more helpful but in either case, a PT might be able to help.  If it's serious, they can tell you so and if it's something like shin splints, I think they might be able to tape them to make it a little less painful.

Thanks for the help. I truly have no idea what it is, the tendency is for it to be slightly sore at the beginning of the run, then disappear the longer I have been running. It doesn't really hurt once I get going either - though if I'm in one place and I bounce on my toes, I can feel some tenderness in the back of my calves. I think my best bet is to just mix up running with biking and some other mobility exercises, like jumping and skipping, just to make sure I'm not neglecting muscle development in a certain area.

I noticed your running monthly totals have gone from 0 about 4 months ago up over 150 miles in a month recently.   It might just be some fatigue setting in as you are running alot more miles, and running almost every day?

I'm no expert on these things either, but sometimes a couple days off will allow your body to catch up and recover.  I was feeling similarly this winter, but I kept on running anyway...   Well, I cut my foot which pretty much 'forced' me to rest, or at least only run easy 1 mile a day vice running 8 or so, and let me tell you, about a week later when I was able to run again, all the soreness was gone and I was flying!

So in short, my non-espert advice is that since you are going form 0 to high mileage, your body is building strength, etc , but a couple rest days would likely do wonders.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Why is it sideways?

That's what it feels like to be a runner.

That's what it feels like to be a runner.

Well, that is a relief. In that case, I won't worry. Thanks!