2018 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 554 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's going to be a rainy race. Have you been training with umbrellas? I'm not seeing much about wind, so there's that. Good luck, everyone!

npaden

Any viewing tips or tricks that anyone wants to share?  My wife and son are most likely just going to try to find someplace at the finish to watch.  How early will they need to get there to get a spot?  Should they plan on bringing chairs or something to sit on?

Thanks, Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It's going to be a rainy race. Have you been training with umbrellas? I'm not seeing much about wind, so there's that. Good luck, everyone!

I'm hearing some squawking about a cross-to-headwind.  I dunno.  I find it really hard to believe that a front blowing in from the west is going to produce a wind from the southeast.  But perhaps that's why I'm not a meteorologist.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Any viewing tips or tricks that anyone wants to share?  My wife and son are most likely just going to try to find someplace at the finish to watch.  How early will they need to get there to get a spot?  Should they plan on bringing chairs or something to sit on?

Thanks, Nathan

My family actually found a viewing spot on Heartbreak Hill; actually, that's where their cab driver chose to drop them off. It wasn't too crowded or difficult for them to get around, and they made their way to the finish without problems (I don't recall how, exactly).

If you're interested in church Sunday morning, Old South Church puts on a lovely musical service, with special attention to the runners.

Your family could consider buying cheap folding chairs at a Walgreens, then leaving them for a charity when they leave. Have them buy umbrellas, too.

mikeymike

Thanks, Nathan

They definitely should not bring chairs near the finish. My family has had good luck getting right up to the fencing on Hereford Street (runners left side of the road). Then they can walk down Newbury toward the common to meet you after the finish--it kinda depends where they're staying and where you want to meet them afterward. People tend to cycle in and out as their friends/family go by so it's not so much how early but how how hard you're willing to work to weasel your way up to the fencing. The rain should dampen the crowds somewhat.

Runners run

mikeymike

I find it really hard to believe that a front blowing in from the west is going to produce a wind from the southeast.

Heh, heh. Have you heard of a nor'easter? It's crazy what happens when low pressure meets a big source of energy like, say, the Atlantic Ocean.

I'm probably enjoying the weather tweeking a little more than I should be.

Good luck, all. Honestly it looks like a decent day to run but a terrible day to watch a marathon. Similar to 2015.

Runners run

joescott

Honestly it looks like a decent day to run but a terrible day to watch a marathon. Similar to 2015.

I don't know y'all.  I think there is a lot of wishful thinking on here that the wind will not be an issue.  Every time I look at a forecast, Accuweather, Wunderground, local, whatever, they all say about a 20-ish mph headwind.  The rain and temps are fine, but I think that wind is going to be a bear.

If there is one thing going for us, it is that we will be a lot of bodies moving together, and that sure helps.  I ducked behind a lot of guys during the Nor'easterthon of 2007, and that helps with the wind a lot.  Still, grinding into a headwind for 26 miles pretty well sucks.

I was just out across the Mass Ave bridge for my shakeout run, BTW, and wow that east wind over the river is already impressive to say the least.  In among the buildings it is cut down considerably, of course.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

weatherboy80

Agreed - just did a shakeout here in Everett and the wind will be a challenge for sure!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Hip Redux

Boston.com is reporting a headwind early that changes over to a crosswind - https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-marathon/2018/04/15/2018-boston-marathon-weather-cold-rain

Temps in the village pre-race will be in the 30s!!  Damn.

I'll be spectating.  Should be a blast.  

Julia1971

Sending good vibes for all the RAers running tomorrow!  I'm guessing it won't be easy but it will be memorable.  Smile

Boston.com is reporting a headwind early that changes over to a crosswind - https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-marathon/2018/04/15/2018-boston-marathon-weather-cold-rain

Temps in the village pre-race will be in the 30s!!  Damn.

I'll be spectating.  Should be a blast.  

You might want to borrow the dugout apparel sported by Sox pitcher Matt Barnes today.

Dave

Kalsarikännit

You might want to borrow the dugout apparel sported by Sox pitcher Matt Barnes today.

Really don’t have to worry about what the Red Sox wore today, huh?

But how about people that did show up?  GO DESI!!!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Desi.

Awesome.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

robin from maine

Desi.

Awesome.

Absolutely thrilled. She deserves it.

npaden

I finished!  Ended up with a slight positive split.  1:43:08 first half which was right around what I was shooting for.  Had to make a bathroom break at mile 19 so that was my slowest mile of the race, my fastest mile was mile 22 with a 7:35, turning into the headwind at the end I thought I was really picking it up, but my splits were actually a bit slow on miles 24 and 25.  Ended up with a 3:28:16.  The splits per the marathon site are whacked, Not sure if they are going to get them fixed or not.  It was cold and wet and windy but I finished!

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)