When Should I Switch From _ x 400's to _ x 800's (Read 500 times)

~Gordo~

Just did my interval run today. I did 8 x 400 with 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down. Looking to see if I should now switch to doing 800 intervals or keep increasing the number of 400 laps?
    !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
    xor

Do you have a goal you are working towards? Also, how long do you go slow between each interval? And are you able to run #8 at approximately the same pace as #3?

Training for a marathon? When is the race? You're better off doing 800's to 1200's to repeat miles for marathon training than whipping out 400 reps.

Why is it sideways?

What about 600's? Or, you could try a ladder: 200-400-800-1200-800-400-200. Or next time, try running for time instead of distance, say 6 x 2min. There's also the possibility of dropping down to 300's and running, say, 12 of them. Have you tried straights and curves? Some wierdos even go for curves and straights. Personally, I'm a big fan of the 200's--accelerate the curve, relax and hold the straight. But if I really want a workout that will get me in shape, I'll run 1000's and jog back to the starting line. Then, there's cut-downs, starting with a slower pace (say, MP) over a longer distance and moving to a quicker pace (say 3k) as the length of the rep gets shorter. Something like 1600-1200-800-600-400-200-100. Or maybe you should just stick with the quarters.

~Gordo~

No races longer than the half marathon. Next half is 31 August. All my fast laps are between 1:30 and 1:40. My recovery laps are 400 meters as well.
            !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Rather than increase reps or distance, you could also reduce your recovery. 400m recovery is a little longish for a 400m rep, so you could bring that down. I like Jeff's 1000m reps.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

You might be taking too much recovery. Try shortening recovery to a 200 (half track). Walk every other 200, get your heart rate to resting. The other 200s should be done at a slow running pace, but you should not fully recover.