tired of seeing polystyrene litter on your runs? (Read 259 times)

Gig

Please sign my whitehouse.org petition to ban polystyrene. http://wh.gov/AbWD

Walk-Jogger

Sometimes I lay awake at night and can't sleep just from thinking about the Pacific Trash Vortex

Retired &  Loving It

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

I'm more tired of seeing cigarette butts as litter on my runs; how about a federal tax on cigarettes to fund clean up programs too.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

JimR

I'm tired of seeing discarded empty gu and gel packs.  As a runner this one really annoys me.

Kalsarikännit

When I run by my father's place in the Blue Ridge Mountains I see a ton of Bud Light cans on the side of the road. How about a tax on extremely crappy beer?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Mmmmm...beer

I don't discriminate when it comes to litter, I hate all of it.

When I see someone flick a cigarette butt out of their car window, I want nothing more than to pick it up and flick it right in their face.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

catwhoorg

Labrat

All polystyrene ?

Including yogurt pots, CD cases and numerous other injection/blow moulded parts ?

Sign me up for the cigarette butt one though. I hate seeing them thrown as litter. Even somewhere as beautiful as the North Cornwall coastal path. Every bench would have a circle of butts thrown onto the ground.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

JimR

When I see someone flick a cigarette butt out of their car window, I want nothing more than to pick it up and flick it right in their face.

the world is their ashtray

Why is it sideways?

An Analogy:

litter : environmental problems :: penmanship : great fiction

Mmmmm...beer

An Analogy:

litter : environmental problems :: penmanship : great fiction

I don't hate litter for environmental reasons, I hate it purely for aesthetic reasons, it ruins the beautiful scenery.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

xhristopher

Sometimes I lay awake at night and can't sleep just from thinking about the Pacific Trash Vortex

I'll bet the situation with the Lyubov Orlova isn't helping matters.

It isn't trash, it's art...

http://rubyreusable.com/artblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/blue-plastic-trash-gyre-baby-by-ruby-re-usable.jpg

But on a serious note, I thought the use of Polystyrene by restaurants in the USA was over with.  I remember the 1990's when brown Big Mac and blue Filet-o-Fish containers would blow with the wind in the streets...  All that was done away with!  Wasn't it?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

an amazing likeness

What makes polystyrene any worse than any other type of litter?  Is it worse than the oil drippings from vehicles which washes into the watershed?  Etc, etc.?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

What makes polystyrene any worse than any other type of litter?  Is it worse than the oil drippings from vehicles which washes into the watershed?  Etc, etc.?

Isn't this kind of like saying: what makes cancer any worse than any other terminal disease? Is it worse than heart disease which killes >20,000 more Americans per year than cancer? Etc, etc.?

I would argure that even though heart disease kills more people per year than cancer we should do research to address BOTH problems.

I don't really have strong feelings about polystyrene because I almost never see it when I'm out running but if you want to go after polystyrene then go for it. Someone else is probably going after oil drippings.

an amazing likeness

That's fair and it certainly is valid to say "the solution has to start somewhere", which I believe is your point. I rushed and did a poor job making raising my question. My question to the OP is how does banning one packaging material reduce litter?  My experience (living in a an area with a ban on styrofoam/plastics packaging) is that the litter just changes from one material to the other.  Litter is the issue, not the package material.

tl:dr version...people who chuck big mac containers chuck them regardless of material.

Litter makes me bitter, regardless of the material.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.