Foot injury advice (Read 433 times)

Boston qualifying race in 4 weeks and my Training going great. Just started to feel some pain in my foot (mid foot across the top outside portion). Possible stress fracture although based on what I have read a stress fracture is much more painful than what I have? Not sure what else it could be. More of a strong discomfort than pain. I took 4 days off but still started to come back during my 7 miler today. I dont want to jeopardize my current fitness level pre-marathon because I know I could probably load up on pain killers and grind it out. So the question is how long should/can I rest it without losing fitness and/or strength? Thanks

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

SMART Approach

Most of your training is in so that is a positive. The negative is that you probably need 7-10 days off if a mild injury/tweak. Discomfort is one thing and pain is another. It may resolve itself. It may just be a stress response/hot spot from your higher volume of training.

I would suggest 3 things

1. For then next couple runs, keep miles down a bit and intensity. Cross train a bit more.

2. Before your run, soak your foot in some hot water while rotating ankle and moving toes to get it loose and warmed up. Start your run slowly and progress. If you can get through a couple runs this way without much discomfort, you can ramp up a bit again but don't crank it. You need to keep your fitness these next few weeks but don't need to go crazy with "work outs" and suffer a set back. It also may be a bit early to taper but in a pinch you could and take your chances on race day.

3. Check or change the lacing on your shoes.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

JML

3. Check or change the lacing on your shoes.

+1 on this.  I made a simple change to lydiard lacing when I was experiencing some pain in the top of my foot between the metatarsals leading to the big toe and the second toe..  The change made the pain go away and stay away.  Your problem sounds somewhat different than mine but it cannot hurt to try.

Diagram of the method here

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Thanks everyone.  Will give the rest, the warmup, and the lacing a try.  Will report back too!

Fingers crossed!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

ValerieHill

It is nice to find a site about my interest. My first visit to your site is been a big help.