***UPDATE***Knee Pain...2 weeks till 1st 1/2...HELP!!!! (Read 1064 times)

2008 Philly Trifecta

I had developed right knee pain, which had subsided a few weeks ago. now I have a strange, sharp pain on my left knee cap (right on the top left edge). It's like it's a ligament or something. I had to stop several times on my run this morning... Doesn't hurt with pressure applied, but really zings when I bend my knee slightly and put pressure on it... Shocked My 1st 1/2 is on 11/18, and my longest run to date is a bit over 10 mi... What should I do??? Any advise? Cry Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
    2008 Philly Trifecta:
    10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
    Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
    Philly Marathon-11/23
    "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

Sandi Sue

I would recommend seeing an orthopedic doctor. You may have torn a meniscus. Bummer.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Or it could be a matter of the wrong shoes. I had knee issues with a pair of Asics Kayanos (which I was wearing for better arch support). Went back to my NBs (with aftermarket arch insoles) and the problems went away.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Or it could be a matter of the wrong shoes. I had knee issues with a pair of Asics Kayanos (which I was wearing for better arch support). Went back to my NBs (with aftermarket arch insoles) and the problems went away.
          Good point, Z^2 (other than the fact the nothing could be wrong with Kayanos. They are great shoes. Must be user error. Tongue ) Dave, it looks like you changed shoes recently -- you only have 38 miles on your Nikes that you started wearing 10/7. Maybe you and these new shoes don't agree. Try running a few miles in your well-worn other pair of active shoes (355.6 miles at last count) and see how that goes.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, I didn't notice he had changed shoes. Dave, I'd be willing to bet there's a shoe issue. I think I had ~60-70 miles on my Kayanos when I first started having issues. k

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Sounds like a classic case of runners knee. Pretty much the most common running injury there is. Almost every runner I know has dealt with it at one time or another. Google runners knee and you'll get a million hits. You might be able to manage it with ice, reduced mileage and NSAIDs until after your HM. It's a kneecap-tracking prblem. Long term you want to root cause it and get it fixed. It can often be a case of weak quads or overpronation of the feet.

Runners run

Jeffrey

My runners knee flared up following the last long run of my Pfitz 18/55 training schedule. UGH. I got through the rest of my training by using RICE, including ice (2/3/4 times per day), advil, stretching (before, during and after runs), foam roller for the ITB and a velcro strap around the kneecap. The first week back after the race I made an appointment with my PT. As my PT put it -- "anything can cause it." Of course she didn't mean "anything", but there are a myriad of variables that contribute to the kneecap mis-tracking (cambered surfaces, shoes, duration/intensity, weak quads, tight hamstrings, ITB, etc.). She started maneuvering my legs around and discovered all kinds of imbalances. Sad Going to the PT is like going to the dentist. You know something is lurking beneath the surface; you just don't want to hear about it! I think you can run through it. This situation taught me if I wanted to continue and enjoy running I needed to tackle my knee issues. Which is why I immediately set up some time with my PT! Smile Good luck and try to have a great race!

Go Pre!

Don't listen to us. GO SEE A DOCTOR! I swear if you listen to anyone saying it might be shoes (which it just might be, but still...) I will come take your one good knee, and swap it for my bad knee that I tried 4 pairs of shoes to fix!

Go Pre!

Sh!t, I just realized both of our sore knees are the right side so we can't swap...so, ya, go to a doctor dude.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sh!t, I just realized both of our sore knees are the right side so we can't swap...so, ya, go to a doctor dude.
                      Dave, you are so nuts! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Go Pre!

yup...well, heading into day 11 of no running (but who's counting?...me, it's 11 F*ing days!) - it's making me nuttier than usual! Shocked
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, that would do it. I went 2 days after my last HM and had to get out again. I'm trying to take this week easy, but the candy-eating guilt is not helping. I should probably go run 15 or so tomorrow to make up for my bad eating the last 24 hours. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Go Pre!

I said I wouldn't eat crap this year. I meant next year. Must run....s...sss....soon.

2008 Philly Trifecta

Welp...1st run (2.3 mi) since left knee pain sidelined me last Thursday. I felt great and could have gone farther...but resisted. Went back to the good ol 233 mi New Balances (thanks for all the imput...sorry Daddyo) According to training schedule, should run 3 more 3 milers this week, (Thurs, Fri, Sat) and a 6mi long run this weekend. Then next week, 3mi on Tues, Weds, Thurs, Sat and the 1/2 miler on Sun 11/18... My last longest run was a 10+ miler on 10/20 Concerened I didn't get my scheduled long runs in (11 & 12 milers) 1/2 miler on Sun 11/18... Any thoughts? Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
                              2008 Philly Trifecta:
                              10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
                              Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
                              Philly Marathon-11/23
                              "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

mikeymike

You can't get back the runs you missed so don't worry about them and don't try to cram. Just keep going from here and stay positive. You can do it.

Runners run