myths about running (Read 1897 times)

Tiefsa

What are some commonly held beliefs of non-runners that bug you.  I'm just curious.

At the start of the year, a lot of the new HS and MS runners have some weird thoughts about running.

I brought this up before, but one myth that I've heard often is that you should only breath through your nose while running.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It'll ruin your knees.

It eats your muscles.

It'll make you skinny fat (shit, I wouldn't mind being skinny fat--it would beat being fat fat, heh).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

luken

RA's cranky old teenager

Well, there's the obvious "all shoes are created equal." That's a false myth if I ever heard one.

That's probably maybe mostly true.

Yeah, I've heard coaches say all kinds of weird breathing things to kids --- breathe through the nose, breathe slowly, breathe at a certain rhythm.  I don't really get why they think that breathing in a way that limits the amount of oxygen that gets to your muscles will help your running.

One thing that is often said but appears to have remarkably little evidence to support it is that running will ruin your knees.( I suspect that there are some people who have dodgy joints in the first place that might become worse with running.)

It'll make you skinny fat (shit, I wouldn't mind being skinny fat--it would beat being fat fat, heh).

What the hell is skinny fat?

I'm curious.  Who knows, I might be this.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

Wing

Joggaholic

When I started running, my family's attitude was: This is good for you!

After I kept on running ~40mpw for months, their attitude now is: Too much running is bad for you!

Don't know what skinny fat means, but I probably was in that category before (skinny with high cholesterol), right now I think I'm skinny skinny.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What the hell is skinny fat?

I'm curious.  Who knows, I might be this.

My understanding is that it's someone who is thin (frequently with minimal or no effort) and looks good in small clothing sizes, but lacking muscle-tone and often having low fitness, poor blood work, etc.

I'm well-padded, but have phenomenal blood work, low BP, low resting pulse, etc.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

One thing that is often said but appears to have remarkably little evidence to support it is that running will ruin your knees.( I suspect that there are some people who have dodgy joints in the first place that might become worse with running.)

I read somewhere recently that the latest research shows that runners have exactly the same incidents of knee problems as non-runners and that in older runners there are fewer cases of knee replacement.  I'll have to find that article and post it.  I was amazed. 

As a guy who should have had his knees done 10 years ago I know that the more I run the less they hurt.  Too bad that doesn't seem to be the case with shin splints.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

#artbydmcbride

"If you keep running so much, your uterus will fall out!'

Nope, its still there.

Runners run

"If you keep running so much, your uterus will fall out!'

Nope, its still there.

keep running.

Why is it sideways?

The #1 myth about running that non-runners believe to be true: running is hard. 

The dirty little secret of all distance runners [we hide it well]  is that running is enjoyable.

Feeling the growl again

I read somewhere recently that the latest research shows that runners have exactly the same incidents of knee problems as non-runners and that in older runners there are fewer cases of knee replacement.  I'll have to find that article and post it.  I was amazed. 

As a guy who should have had his knees done 10 years ago I know that the more I run the less they hurt.  Too bad that doesn't seem to be the case with shin splints.

I do not have a link to the study (no really good, large ones have been done to my knowledge) but I did read one where this was studied in decent depth.  They looked at older runners and non-runners and looked at a variety of parameters.  What it found was a LOWER incidence of joint issues in those that ran a moderate amount....running had a protective effect.  Given that running promotes blood circulation to and maintenance of tissues that normally have fairly low blood flow (tendons, ligaments etc) this should not be too shocking.

The exception was those that had a pre-existing cartilage injury.  Once cartilage is gone, it is gone, and additional running increased the risk of further injury.  Again, not too surprising...at least to me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

L Train

Non-runners seem to think that I eat really well and probably don't drink beer.

"You get less wet in the rain if you run"

Myth Busters' & the Beeb's conclusions.

p.s. I've no f*cking clue as to the equations in the latter, I'll just stick to:

(Cost in £ )

(Volume in ml) x 1000 = Cost per litre of beer

means to an end and all that.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.