The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Kalsarikännit

Yes. Unlike anywhere else in the world, in America masks have nothing to do with protecting against illness. In America, masks are a mark of sheeple-like compliance among those who bow to fear and belong to the political party that promotes pedophilia. 

I thought this was dumbass individuals and people who attend Sturgis and Trump rallies.  But a business or town that is desperately in need of money?  When I happened to talk to anyone going the other way I warned them to carry food and avoid Meyersdale and Rockwood.  I just know they are going to look at the money they generated this summer and blame their crap numbers on a lack of people using the trail (not true), and take zero personal accountability for not having money in their pockets.

Also, from being in the restaurant industry for decades I can tell you that people that don’t worry about not getting their guests sick are not clean.  This makes me wonder if they clean well, do things to prevent cross-contamination, and wash their hands after going to the bathroom (or any other time).

This is my second time bikepacking the GAP and C&O.  It’s really cool and I plan on doing it again, but there is no way I bother with these towns even after Covid.  They can wallow in their germs.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

gurl, gotta put yer pincipals had of profits. We are talking bout freedom.

But a business or town that is desperately in need of money?

Prince of Fatness

I thought this was dumbass individuals and people who attend Sturgis and Trump rallies.  But a business or town that is desperately in need of money?

Yes you were in the northeast but there is a lot of MAGA country in Pennsylvania. The term Pennsyltucky exists for a reason.

Not at it at all. 

Kalsarikännit

Yes you were in the northeast but there is a lot of MAGA country in Pennsylvania. The term Pennsyltucky exists for a reason.

I was also in MAGA country in Northern Minnesota, Western Colorado, and the same day ride out of Meyersdale and into Maryland.  Difference is, none of those people were given the option of whether or not they could spread rona droplets all over my lunch.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Yesterday, I found out through the grapevine and confirmed that he and Mom are attending their church again in Austin.  After each service, there is a potluck lunch and nobody wears masks while eating and sitting close together.  To say I am livid is an understatement.

Teresadfp, sorry to hear about your parents' risky behavior.  My mother is a former school nurse.  Retired, she now volunteers at a thrift store.  My father tried to convince her to take a break for COVID, but she refuses.  Insists she can help the thrift store stay safe -- because it is run by cavalier woman.  My mom is possessed by good old Catholic social teachings, even though she long left the church. She has also hand-sewn over 1,000 cloth masks for the community, which she sells for $5 each, and takes the "profit" to the dollar store to by toiletries she donates to the thrift store.

On Monday, word came down that another volunteer at the thrift store has COVID.  The thrift store is going to do a "deep cleaning", but we all know that's theater.  Fortunately, my father has finally convinced my mother to take a leave of absence.

My mother's problem is that she's used to being on the front-line to help people in need.  She cannot see that COVID and her vulnerability should have her taking a back seat on this one.  She wants to do good and cannot see that doing nothing is best in this case.  I wonder if your parents sorta feel the same about church.  Some people equate going to church as doing Good in the eyes of their god.  Not going is tantamount to doing Bad.  Maybe that's why so many people are trying to make worship related social gatherings an exception?  I don't know.

Of course, it doesn't explain the pot-luck.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Prince of Fatness

I was also in MAGA country in Northern Minnesota, Western Colorado, and the same day ride out of Meyersdale and into Maryland.  Difference is, none of those people were given the option of whether or not they could spread rona droplets all over my lunch.

I believe that masks are required in PA still (indoors and outdoors where distancing is not achievable). I haven’t noticed much non compliance in the places that I’ve been to but have not been in areas as rural as where you were.

Not at it at all. 

Kalsarikännit

My mother's problem is that she's used to being on the front-line to help people in need.  She cannot see that COVID and her vulnerability should have her taking a back seat on this one.  She wants to do good and cannot see that doing nothing is best in this case.  I wonder if your parents sorta feel the same about church.  Some people equate going to church as doing Good in the eyes of their god. 

If I can throw an idea out there...  I’ve been volunteering with Loaves and Fishes (a food bank operating out of a local church).  It normally preps hot meals for people eating inside, but now everything is packed up to go.  There is an increased need for meals and less volunteers because of seniors staying home.  I have no interaction with the public, just food prep (lots of veggie chopping!), and there are very strict protocols concerning spacing, mask wearing, hand washing, and gloves.

Maybe something like this would hit both the safe and helpful options.

Half Crazy K 2.0

WrigleyGirl, I was surprised that masks are being worn in western MD where my parents live (not quite as far west as you were). That part of the state likes to do their own thing--not sure if this is still the case, but for a while, there were businesses there that decided they didn't like the state wide ban on smoking indoors.

Teresadfp, that's tough with your parents. My FIL passed away in late December. Something MIL says any time we visit is that we are the only people she has shared a meal with since covid happened. Feeling socially isolated is definitely an issue, so I get that people feel the need to connect. If church has been that connection for a long period of time, I can definitely see people doing risky things for that social aspect.

MoBramExam

My mother is a former school nurse.  Retired, she now volunteers at a thrift store. She has also hand-sewn over 1,000 cloth masks for the community, which she sells for $5 each, and takes the "profit" to the dollar store to by toiletries she donates to the thrift store.

My mother's problem is that she's used to being on the front-line to help people in need.

Sounds like an amazing lady. True example of selflessness.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Teresadfp, that's tough with your parents. My FIL passed away in late December. Something MIL says any time we visit is that we are the only people she has shared a meal with since covid happened. Feeling socially isolated is definitely an issue, so I get that people feel the need to connect. If church has been that connection for a long period of time, I can definitely see people doing risky things for that social aspect.

Yeah, I know Mom and Dad are going stir crazy.  My dad said something like, "We can't keep doing this for a year or more!"

So I looked up the blackout rules in London during WWII.  This is what I found on Wikipedia:

"Blackout regulations were imposed on 1 September 1939, before the declaration of war."

"Blackouts proved one of the more unpleasant aspects of the war, disrupting many civilian activities and causing widespread grumbling and lower morale."

"Blackout restrictions greatly increased the dangers of night driving and fatalities increased as a consequence. As a result, some aspects were relaxed and speed limits were lowered. Unsurprisingly, fatalities were also recorded amongst merchant seaman falling into the docks at night and drowning during the blackout.

Crime also increased under cover of darkness, from looting, theft, burglary, and robbery, to fraud, cons, and gang-related activities, to rape and murder, and even serial murder."

"As German war-making capability declined, a "Dim-out" was introduced in September 1944, which allowed lighting to the equivalent of moonlight. A full Blackout would be imposed if an alert was sounded. Full lighting of streets was allowed in April 1945."

So full blackout restrictions were in effect for FIVE YEARS and reduced ones for another seven months.  HTFU, Americans.  Sad

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eh. I need my hair colored and my latte.

full blackout restrictions were in effect for FIVE YEARS and reduced ones for another seven months.  HTFU, Americans.  Sad

Well it’s frustrating because everyone knows large group gatherings with no distancing and no masks are how the virus spreads most readily, so it makes things worse for everyone. Being at a church doesn’t make it better than being at a concert or bar. You can still connect with people in small groups, distanced, and masked. Or on Zoom. Sure it’s not the same, but a lot of things aren’t.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Well it’s frustrating because everyone knows large group gatherings with no distancing and no masks are how the virus spreads most readily, so it makes things worse for everyone. Being at a church doesn’t make it better than being at a concert or bar. You can still connect with people in small groups, distanced, and masked. Or on Zoom. Sure it’s not the same, but a lot of things aren’t.

Preaching to the choir.  Ever try explaining zoom or vidoe chat to an 85+ year old with questionable computer skills?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Preaching to the choir.  Ever try explaining zoom or vidoe chat to an 85+ year old with questionable computer skills?

My dad is a Zoom expert - he is still doing some engineering consulting.  That's what annoys me even more.  The church could set up their services online but they won't.

This is why I am the black sheep of the family and left this church when I was 22.  They drove me nuts.

Half Crazy K 2.0

My dad is a Zoom expert - he is still doing some engineering consulting.  That's what annoys me even more.  The church could set up their services online but they won't.

This is why I am the black sheep of the family and left this church when I was 22.  They drove me nuts.

That's rough--I at least know some of this is due to MIL having hearing issues and shaky computer skills. The churches near me (outside Baltimore, MD) are still closed for the most part. They could reopen at 50 or 75%, but haven't bothered. Makes Sunday morning runs much more enjoyable not getting nearly hit by churchgoers.