Anyone row? (Read 201 times)

Village people

I have done some on my own but I just joined an adult rowing club. Other than row, what else can I do to prepare? I swim, bike and lift weights. Should I just keep doing what I do? Anyone know?

PDoe

It would never hurt to add running too. 

Row as much as possible to improve technique. Rowing is much more strength related so step up the weight work, for the sake of not only getting stronger but also injury prevention.

All kinds of info available online.

Village people

Thank you. I will do some research. I do a lot of back and shoulders for swimming but I will see what I can add.

kilkee

runktrun

Technique, technique, technique.  Sweeping or sculling?  Synching with the rest of your crew is just as important as pure strength, if you're not rowing solo.  Either way, it's full body.  Expect to work you lower body as well.  Since you already row a bit yourself, focus on your technique and perceived effort now and try to not learn bad habits Smile  Running can certainly help with endurance, but you'll ultimately want to focus on the specificity of rowing.  Sounds like a fun opportunity!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Village people

Technique, technique, technique.  Sweeping or sculling?  Synching with the rest of your crew is just as important as pure strength, if you're not rowing solo.  Either way, it's full body.  Expect to work you lower body as well.  Since you already row a bit yourself, focus on your technique and perceived effort now and try to not learn bad habits Smile  Running can certainly help with endurance, but you'll ultimately want to focus on the specificity of rowing.  Sounds like a fun opportunity!

I am pretty excited. I have wanted to do this for years and my main goal of the program is learning good technique. I see a lot of rowing in my future.

catwhoorg

Labrat

I haven't since college.

You can get ready for a whole new world of hurt.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Village people

I haven't since college.

You can get ready for a whole new world of hurt.

I am okay with a little hurt.

3 days in a row I have rowed for 30 min. I used to be a lot faster but it is a start.

Village people

After being on the water a few times, I thought that I would requote this. Being on the erg has helped make the body movement automatic but dealing with those oars is tricky. We are sweeping, so just one oar. The first night I kept looking at my oar because it was dragging a lot in the water. I am starting to just watch the person in front of me and pivot with him or her. There were moments of smoothness on the water but every once in awhile I would get messed up. Lifting the boat in and out of the water is tough but not too bad. I like being in a team and our coach (I guess that what he is) sent us a schedule for dry land conditioning.

There are three races this season so that should be interesting.

kilkee

runktrun

Sounds like immense fun, though challenging!  The team aspect is a nice change for us runners, too Smile

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Village people

Sounds like immense fun, though challenging!  The team aspect is a nice change for us runners, too Smile

I am an injured runner and miss it. Until I can figure things out, I am a rower, swimmer and cyclist.

we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday on an elliptical for whatever it was we did wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a rower, swimmer and cyclist...and a basket case...a princess...and a criminal. Does that answer your question? 

Sincerely yours, the injured runners club

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Village people

^ nice.

jfa

Well, I'm very much a casual rower of my little 9' rowboat.

I keep it for a dingy and recently had my outboard go kaplooyee.

So I sanded and re varnished the oars and tried it out. What a good workout and it's fun to be on the water no matter what.

Oh yeah, my breastesses were sore for days.

Village people

Well, I'm very much a casual rower of my little 9' rowboat.

I keep it for a dingy and recently had my outboard go kaplooyee.

So I sanded and re varnished the oars and tried it out. What a good workout and it's fun to be on the water no matter what.

Oh yeah, my breastesses were sore for days.

That would be tough not using your whole body. My hamstrings are tired crazy drill we did.

Village people

To continue with my rowing adventures.

Last night was rough. We did a drill that had some rowers holding water with their oars while the rest of us rowed against this extra resistance. We were to pull so that we felt like we were lifting out of our seat. That was tough but the boat was crazy and I had a lot of trouble keeping my oars doing what they we're suppose to do.

I am am learning a ton of stuff. I have bow and stern straight. The coxie sits at the stern but that is at the end of the boat because we are traveling backwards, make sense? Bow seat sets the boat. Keeping the boat steady in the water is important. The stroke seat is at the stern, port I think. I couldn't see that far up the boat. We follow her when we row. I rowed starboard which is okay.

Tomorrow we tackle feathering, I hope this helps me get the oar out of the water cleanly. We are also going to try rowing with all eight people. Eek!