getting back to that level (Read 1026 times)

i'm not a real strong runner, but last yr during xc season i PRed with a 23:29, before suffering some ankle/knee injuries and mental breakdowns. i ended up finishing around 25min which i know i can beat. track season i didn't do too much running, but i just finished mid may and did some relatively easy 5 to 5.5 mile runs before sort of having long breaks in between runs (week or so at most) and i just ran a 5k at a 29:15 which is reaaally pathetic. i'm trying to figure out how to train to sort of get back to that 23 range in hopes to PR again in september.
    "Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact; it is an option. Impossible is not a declaration; it is a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

The key to a great cross country season is to run consistently all summer. You need to bank a lot of miles to build a strong base. Don't worry about speed at all. There will be plenty of time to work on that in the fall, with your coach. Make a routine and stick to it. The pace should feel easy and comfortable. Increase your weekly mileage by 10% per week or less. That's about all there is to it.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        No Doubt. Run,run,run,run,run,run. Summer miles equal fall smiles. Make your log public. It will keep you honest. Mix up ; easy short runs, easy long runs , medium pace runs, and a race now and again to keep it fun. Good luck.
        Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD
          thanks. my goal this summer is deff to add mileage.
          "Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact; it is an option. Impossible is not a declaration; it is a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."
            Just the coach in me but... try to get in one longer run per week. (i.e start at 5 miles as your long run and add a mile each week all summer.) Keep it up.
            Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD
              thanks. my goal this summer is deff to add mileage.
              Remember, Anthony and/or I are always looking to do long runs if you are looking for someone to run with. Just text him, get his number at the next optional run.
              No Doubt. Run,run,run,run,run,run. Summer miles equal fall smiles. Make your log public. It will keep you honest. Mix up ; easy short runs, easy long runs , medium pace runs, and a race now and again to keep it fun. Good luck.
              Nice advice! Smile

Michelle

SLYou. It looks like you are getting a great start to your summer running! keep it up !!!
                sheil2009

21:00

That sounds just like me, i ran those times in xc and it is taking me so long to get back to where I was. Our coack gave us this schedule that is basically a tempo on monday, intervals tues, 30 min easy wed, fartlek thurs, 30 min easy fri, and long run saturday. Every week each hard workout is increased by five minutes. I think its working, i see slow but steady fitness. If y u want the full schedule, lemme know Smile