I don't know what I was thinking (Read 146 times)

I'm 52, 191 lbs, have been running since September '18, walked distances previously (20-25 miles, 2-4 times per week) and cycled off and on. Things have been going well. I feel great running my newb weekly mileage (3 x 4 mile runs for the last two months) and doing a little arc training/weights/walking. It's safe to say that running is my new love!

So I decided to sign up for the Philadelphia Half Marathon in order to give myself something to focus on and train towards. Except I had a moment of inspired stupidity and signed up for the full marathon. x_x I don't know what I was thinking, but I done payed'em so I'm thinking about trying to run it just to finish. I am NOT willing to hurt myself out of pride. I'm an RN and have read quite a bit on running injuries, as well as knowing a couple of people who messed themselves up.

Since it's 8 months away (11/24), I have quite a bit of time, but my mileage is so low I'm afraid that it will involve too much continuous, if conservative ramping up. If I did the Andrew Kastor 20 week program, that would give me 16 weeks to get my mileage up to 30 miles per week in order to start it. Don't laugh. That's 6% per week ramping average, that I'm willing to try to tackle doing 10% increments with a recovery week followed by a two week plateau in the middle. The last week of this prep period would involve 5x4mi and 1x10mi runs. Tentatively. These are *all* easy runs for this period, no tempo/interval/etc.

The actual 20 week program starts very slowly for the first two weeks, so that would serve as recovery time. His long runs later in the program are 1x18 miles, and finally 1x20 miles. His peak week is 39-43 miles total.

Is this worth trying?

Are they both the same day/race?

If so, I'd simply send an email or call and say you want to run the HM.

Personally I'm not running a HM or Marathon until my 5k...10k...are where I want them to be...

I think jack daniels basically said....if you want to run a 2hr marathon....run a 1hr HM first...that's essentially my plan, of course not at those paces.

300m- 37 sec.

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

I used a 26-week Galloway run/walk program to do my first marathon at age 60.  Finished in a comfortable 5:11.  Would have done better had I not hurt myself at mile 14 but got through it.  Twenty six weeks was enough to train with two runs during the week and one progressively longer run on weekends.  Longest race prior to signing up was a 10K.

Just a thought.

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335

Thank you both!

I used a 26-week Galloway run/walk program to do my first marathon at age 60.  Finished in a comfortable 5:11.  Would have done better had I not hurt myself at mile 14 but got through it.  Twenty six weeks was enough to train with two runs during the week and one progressively longer run on weekends.  Longest race prior to signing up was a 10K.

Just a thought.

That's very impressive! How long had you been running, and what was your weekly mileage before and during the program?

Are they both the same day/race?

If so, I'd simply send an email or call and say you want to run the HM.

Personally I'm not running a HM or Marathon until my 5k...10k...are where I want them to be...

I think jack daniels basically said....if you want to run a 2hr marathon....run a 1hr HM first...that's essentially my plan, of course not at those paces.

I'll look into this, and perhaps there's a cutoff so I'd better real quick if I'm to change my mind.

strambo

You can absolutely do this, that is a conservative plan.  I think taking 8 mos to train up for just a half would have felt like a let down.  Your instincts were good!

I'd also focus on losing as much weight as is practicable, drop to 181 and that is like taking off a 10lb weight vest before the run!  I'm 44yo, 5'10 and 183, losing weight is one of my main focuses for that reason as well.

You can absolutely do this, that is a conservative plan.  I think taking 8 mos to train up for just a half would have felt like a let down.  Your instincts were good!

I'd also focus on losing as much weight as is practicable, drop to 181 and that is like taking off a 10lb weight vest before the run!  I'm 44yo, 5'10 and 183, losing weight is one of my main focuses for that reason as well.

Thanks for the response! Part of my plan was to eliminate (or mostly eliminate) beer, which I have consumed industrial quotas of in recent times. I'm wary of trying to lose weight and gain strength at the same time, but if I replaced the beer calories with 2/3 as much nutritious calories perhaps I could lean up a tad while getting stronger. 181 sounds great. Smile

Good luck with your goals by the way.

PS- Perhaps there's enough time to run a Half Marathon in preparation for your Full Marathon?

I think many Marathon plans schedule a Half Marathon or 20mile race in the preparation anyway.

good Luck! keep us posted!

300m- 37 sec.

paul2432

For someone running very low volume a 10% increase is very conservative.  Adding 3-5 MPW is usually safe for most runners especially if you only do it every 2-3 weeks and do all your runs at an easy pace.

What also works well if you are doing other forms of training like cycling is gradually replacing the other training with running.  If you currently split  50/50 work up to 80/20 over the coming months. This keeps your total workload manageable while getting the more specific running training you’ll need.

Finally, I second the comment regarding weight.  What’s important in distance running is strength (really power) to weight ratio, not necessarily absolute strength. Obviously that can be improved both by losing weight or increasing strength.

Because you are new to running I’ll add the usual advice to wear proper running shoes and get new ones every 300-500 miles (better yet get new ones, maybe a different shoe, at 200 and alternate them with the 200 mile shoe, you’ll get more life out of both especially if you use the older shoe on your shorter easier runs.  Repeat when the original shoe wears out).  Your local running store can help you find the best shoes for you.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The Philadelphia Marathon allows you to switch events until November 10th, so it can be done and you have plenty of time to make that decision.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Regarding weight loss, if you can moderate that beer at least during weekdays, you can drop weight reasonably fast.  We unknowingly consume a lot of additional calories with munchies while drinking.  2-3 beers ~ 300-400 calories + 200-300 calories from snacks = A whole meal worth of useless calories

8 months is a long time to keep focus.  Not sure if the plan has races scheduled over the next 6-7 months, but they are a good short term motivators and also serve to judge your progress and give you a goal time to aim for.  Although for your first marathon a finish might be all the goal you want to aim for.  Start with 5k races once a month for the next 3-4 months, then a 10k/10mile/half marathon races whichever is convenient over the next 3 months.

I'm very glad I posted, these are all very helpful responses!  I've been reading here for a while and find  these forums to be a great source of information and perspective.