Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Mark you are probably at least partially right, the fact that I wasn't feeling well for 2 days before impacted. However, I do not think I am ready to run a marathon at that pace and I do not want to fade in the last 6 to 10 miles as I normally do. So, after yesterday, unless things change in the next 2-3 weeks, I have decided that I will start with the 3:30 pacers, take it slow for a few miles and then see what I have in the second half. This will probably be too safe and conservative, but considering the experience in the last 4 years, I need to finish one marathon strong before I can gamble on the time.

I really hope to get the next few weeks and pacing right this time...

That's a smart approach.  I went out too fast in the marathon I did and paid the price later.  I actually ran my 35km long run w/ 20km @MP 3 weeks before the race much better than the actual race!

JMac- I guess I'm just crazy.  Most of the symptoms were actually above the neck tbh apart from a slightly sore back which was more likely due to lugging a toddler around.  Fingers crossed it seems to be improving now, felt much more normal on my run this morning, so hoping I can hit my workouts Wed and Thurs.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Flavio, loved the video, I hope you can repeat on Saturday. Good luck with your week, hope you are feeling better.

I have been running slow in the last couple of days (pushed an interval training from today to Thursday) to recover from Sunday. At the end of the day, if I consider 3h30 my pace, I ran 15 miles under marathon pace in a 21 .5 long run on Sunday, so I am not too depressed. I will push through April and I'll see what I can get,

then I will plan my 10k and half marathons, depending on how I get out of the marathon.

have a good day

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I swear to you I’m not making this up, at around 3:30 PM yesterday I started coming down with symptoms of a virus. By nighttime, I had inflamed lymph nodes, sore throat, fever, and body aches/chills. Luckily I had a planned off day, so I was able to just rest.

Woke up this morning with the chills/body aches gone, which is good, but definitely have a cold. Much better now than the week of the race, should recover in time. Given it’s the neck and above (unless those body aches return), I should be able to run through it.

Somehow, the Internet is contagious.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I have heard of dangerous viruses  going around the net, but I would have never imagined... I do hope you get better soon!

My second wave (the recent one) sounded a lot like yours and I was out in 2-3 days. I do hope I didn't pass it Wink

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I'm absolutely going to go for sub-3. I'd do it this year, but so far the only marathon in the area that would likely have good weather and won't conflict with my October half is really hilly (Route 66 in Tulsa). I'll keep my eyes open for more marathons to be posted, though.
            Here's the thing with wanting to run ultras: I don't want to do the slow, mountainous races, nor do I want to just slog through nothing but slow runs to train. I ran my idea for how to train for the 50mi/100 mile races I have by eye on past Max from the sub-3:20 thread: basically longer T and M pace work, not much I/R stuff. Maybe a few ~30 milers in the buildup for time on my feet. He agreed, and basically summed it up as "train to run a fast marathon", but then run slower in the races than I have been in training. I'm not planning on slowing down any time soon.
            Oh, and I like your tapering plan. Taper is something I'm still testing, but so far I think that one like you are planning is probably close to ideal for me as well.
            And it sounds like you need better anti-virus on your computer!

James - No typo that I can find. I have another marathon at the end of the month that I'll be using as a LR. Good work building mileage!

Flavio - Bummer about you and your wife getting sick. Strep throat, maybe? Here's hoping you're both recovered soon.
            While I do plan on strength workouts (hill repeats, likely), endurance is going to be my primary focus.

CFarr - Good week.

More easy running from me this past week, though I missed my LR due to travel. I still managed ~50 miles, and since I'm just enjoying building back my fitness and not training for anything specific the missed LR doesn't bother me.
            I'm very much a data guy, which has lead me to a program/website called Xert. It mostly revolves around bike training (specifically with a power meter), but they're also doing a beta for people (like me) who are using a running power meter (Stryd). Very interesting stuff in how they track threshold/1 hour power, the max you can output, etc., and how long you should be able to hold given outputs.
            One thing I'm looking forward to testing is a Garmin datafield that's built around using their algorithms to tackle Strava segments. Basically it takes how they view your fitness, compares it to how long a segment is, and gives you a single number (power target) to run at in order to finish the segment as fast as possible - and it will change this target up or down based on if it thinks you're going to hard or too easy. There's a .4mi/.64km uphill segment (~40' / 12.2 meter e-gain for the curious) I plan on testing this on later this week as part of a fartlek workout. This should be fun in and of itself, but as an aside it can help me better learn how specific shorter race efforts should feel, which is something I could definitely use improvement on.

One of our local marathons had its final running over the weekend, and I was a bit bummed not to get to do it. It was won by a guy who seems to run ~2:35 for the marathon no matter what - downhill, flat, cold, or hot he always runs the same. The HM in particular is super-asterisky. Downhill for the first 9.5 miles (~500' of overall loss, just a couple tiny rollers), then rolling uphill (~90') for the remainder. It's also a perfectly straight course and had a 5-10mph tailwind the entire way. I know of several people who are using this race to help decide on a goal pace for Botswana - including a guy who set PRs for all distances from 10k to the HM during the race. I hope that doesn't come back to bite people.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - honestly this is getting ridiculous now.  You take taper madness to a whole new place.

Keen - interested to see how this power meter analysis works out and if it can help with some CRs!

Also, autumn is properly here.  I'm excited!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - I'm pretty interested in this as well (obviously, or I wouldn't be doing it!). I actually created an uphill segment just for this little test; I also happen to own the CR for it as well (back from August '17), so when I smash the record for it I won't have to worry about a local high school kid going after it when he gets an email about his CR being stolen... It will be interesting to see just how much time I can take off of that CR.
                This whole analytical/power meter stuff is a bit intimidating as well, though. Part of the site plots the wattage it thinks I can run vs time, and it's a bit scary to see some of those because it's intimidating when I think how fast I'm running while holding some of those wattages. It seems a bit out of reach, but maybe I've just never gone completely to the well for a race before so I don't know what I'm really capable of.
                I'm a bit jealous that you're getting to autumn. We've had a bit of a cold snap the last few days, but overall we're really starting to warm up here.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

I would take 2 weeks off from all running even if it means missing Boston 

I swear to you I’m not making this up, at around 3:30 PM yesterday I started coming down with symptoms of a virus. By nighttime, I had inflamed lymph nodes, sore throat, fever, and body aches/chills. Luckily I had a planned off day, so I was able to just rest.

Woke up this morning with the chills/body aches gone, which is good, but definitely have a cold. Much better now than the week of the race, should recover in time. Given it’s the neck and above (unless those body aches return), I should be able to run through it.

Somehow, the Internet is contagious.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

You guys are freaking me out...hope you all feel better soon.

Mark - Thank goodness for autumn.  I just did my last hard tempo session on my work from home day, it's taper time now.  Today was perfect, cool and calm, while Monday was 26 degrees and windy for intervals.  Monday I was near death, today I felt good.  I may be stating the obvious here, but HMP feels way way more comfortable than intervals pace (~4:11-12 pace compared to 3:45-55).  Obviously faster should be harder but it feels 100 times harder.

Today I averaged 4:10mins/km during the effort blocks and could hold it pretty well.

Mark - Incidentally, do you have your race pack yet?  Mine still hasn't arrived.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - because I entered the series, I got all my bibs for all 5 races before race 1 (Devonport).  Incidentally this has also led to a tradition that I have to use the same safety pins for every race in the series.  I'd drop the organisers an email just to check yours hasn't gotten lost somewhere, I think normally they send them out 2-3 weeks prior.

I would say I find there's a noticeable step-up for me between HMP efforts of 10-15 minutes and anything faster.  HMP tends to be "OK I'm definitely working but I'm not dying".  As soon as the intervals get to more like 10km pace (or faster) is when I really feel it.  The fact that you're hitting those paces in training and feeling good is a really good sign.  There's still that extra little bit of race day magic that might give you a kicker on top!  I've often struggled to hit PB pace in training but then come race day it's all good (tired legs vs. race week taper plays a part in this too).

Tomorrow I've got 3x12 mins @ HMP or faster which will be tough on tired legs (did a workout today) but it's my last really tough workout so I'm just gonna throw everything at it.

The last two days here it's like the season changed overnight.  I'm pretty happy about it.  My workmates think I'm nuts though.

Piwi - ur troll game is strong.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

NEW DISCUSSION IDEA - random race superstitions

This occurred to me while writing the previous post.  Here are some of mine:

• Bib goes on the singlet the night before. Occasionally 2 nights before depending on other commitments and availability of relevant personnel (wife)
                        • Bag generally gets prepared two nights before to reduce my chances of stressing myself out the day before the race
                        • Must wear at least one blue item of clothing (typically this has been a blue wristband)
                        • For half marathon series, must use same safety pins for bib for entire 5 race series
                        • Never wear event merchandise until after the event is done (yes this is a basic one but I'm still sitting on a half marathon series hoodie that I got in September and can't wear until after next Sunday's race!!!)
                        • Avoid talking to anyone during warm-up if at all possible, or basically any time between arriving at the event and finishing the race. This includes family.  Particularly family.
                        • Important races get specific playlists to listen to on the way there (only listen at event base if significant time to kill)
                        • Clutch's "A Good Fire" can only be played as a pre-race song in Dunedin

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I love the random Piwi pop ins. Enjoy your trip to the Northern Hemisphere!

Mark - I started reading your list and was like "oh that's not superstitious, that's just good planning." Then I kept going and thought "those Kiwis are crazy." I have zero superstitions, but I do have routine.

Steve - going forward, you may want to start doing that work at lactate threshold pace, not HMP. That may only be 5 seconds per KM faster, but it's a better workout.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - I don't recall superstitions, but there's a certain routine.

Packing everything including pins on bib the night before is common sense.

I do about 5 to 6 trips to the toilet on race day, that's a routine I'd like to avoid 

me - I'm trying to figure out my target for my 3K race on Saturday.

I have basically 2 options:

1 - the Jmac way : I'm not yet recovered after one week with the flu, I've bonked a few workouts, I've gained some weight and my glutes are weak from sitting too much and inactivity. I think I'm going to shoot for sub 18 minutes (5:59/km - 9:40/mi pace). That's a sensible target.

2 - the normal way : I've run 11:09 on the 3000m fitness test in January. Since then I've done quite a few workouts and lost one kg. I'm going to shoot for 11:08 if the temps keep above 24C and sub 11 if they are the weather cools down a bit to something like 19C/ 67F.

So question to the group. Which option should I choose? @piwi/@MickJogger - your inputs are important here.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Oh come on, my sandbagging is so well hidden! Also, Mark told me my A goal was a "moonshot" goal for Boston, so look how much I've improved!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I'm with JMac and Flavio on this - no superstitions, but I do have a routine. If I travel I pack two pairs of socks as a default (in case one bugs me for some reason), in addition to multiple sets of running clothes depending on possible weather conditions. Everything gets laid out the night before (with bib pinned on) just so that it's easy to get around in the morning. And I like to get to the race area a good hour before the race starts - this gives me plenty of time to loosen up and make sure I'm at racing weight before the gun goes off.

Flavio - If you think you're recovered from the flu I'd go balls-out. No, that's not an obscene suggestion! Even if it's hot a 3k isn't so far that you'll get toasted by the temps. If you're not feeling recovered I'd go with tempo effort if that feels doable. .

Felt quite un-good on my run this morning, so I cut it a couple miles short. I don't know why, but I just felt big and slow. Here's hoping I'll feel better for my little double this afternoon.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4