2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

CalBears

Quote from flavio1980 on 12/15/2021 at 7:59 AM:

Your marathon is only a 73% though. We'll miss you next year then 😂

Actually, Mikkey's  AG performance percentage for his marathon PR is 84.72%

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Marby

Ash

Marby - Great RR!  I checked your race out on Strava and you ran it in Alphaflys?  What did you think of those shoes?

Mikkey: I really like them, fit like a glove, bouncy and just feel fast.  I went into an actual shop to try on Alpha and Next%2, knew they were the one as soon as I pulled them on.  I mentioned that I could feel impact in my quads in the first half.  The quads have really suffered in the post race as well, I've heard that others that ran in them say the same.  So maybe something changes in gait with them on. Being a big muscle group that's probably a good thing. I had only ran 10k in them before the race.  I think next time I'll do 40-50k at pace in the lead in and try build up some strength.

Steve/Mark: I'm looking at potential next marathons and here in AUS (fast ones) that's pretty much Gold Coast.  Anything across the ditch that I should consider April-July?

RP: I'm a quarter of the way through part 1.  Is there an audio book version that I can listen to on my next long run?

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve/Mark: I'm looking at potential next marathons and here in AUS (fast ones) that's pretty much Gold Coast.  Anything across the ditch that I should consider April-July?

Christchurch is the fastest but that is before the border is open to internationals without a 7 day stay in prison.  Even after April, you need to self-isolate for 7 days.  So yeah....I'd give up on NZ for a while.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Christchurch is dead flat and notoriously quick - the best marathon option in NZ by quite a long way.  Tends to get a decent elite field too (by NZ standards) for that reason.  Steve has flagged the current border rules... until they change (again) of course.

As for other marathons between April and July...  Rotorua is legendary but certainly not fast (some big hills through the middle), Wellington is flat but there's a major risk of wind, and Hawkes Bay is flat but there's a lot of trail involved and it's not particularly fast for that reason.

Interesting to hear your experience with the Alphafly's.  I've certainly found that after racing in VF's, I notice the big muscle groups (quads and hamstrings) a lot more, whereas in oldschool flats it was my calves that really suffered.  Same thinking as you though - if it's the big muscle groups doing the work, that's probably a good thing.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marby

Ash

Wow, the more cautious states here are opening borders when 90%+ of eligible peeps are fully vaccinated. I'd assumed NZ would go with something similar, bummer!

And, somehow I forgot piwi was a kiwi 

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Not a lot of logic occurring here.  We're at 90% vaccinated but still a lot of restrictions in part of the country and a decent number of restrictions in the rest.  Just crazy stuff.

If you can wait until September you could look at Dunedin but that's close to Melbourne and not as good of a race anyway.  Plus it's just too big of a risk that the race won't happen or you won't get in.

2024 Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP: I'm a quarter of the way through part 1.  Is there an audio book version that I can listen to on my next long run?

The guy I run with on Saturdays said I had to tell him about CIM on our 90 minute run. I told him "I'm writing it up and I'm at mile 13.1 so you'll get the sneak peak quick preview." I've never thought about an audiobook, and I'm laughing because everyone who has run with me knows I'll chat their ear off which can be helpful, and you'll find out more along the course of my race review. I don't think I'd want someone to chat to me during a race though. Even an ultra. Just check in with me and make sure I'm all good.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

They are too young to remember the Waltons Mikey 

Marby the clue is in the name . Apart from the obvious humble brag,  I wanted to show the distance I got was the same as you. Alot of folks claim strava sub 3s when their GPS hits 42.2  

Goodnight John-Boy, goodnight Elizabeth, goodnight Jim Bob, goodnight Flávio. 😴

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

*snip* I’m feeling strong up the hill and remembering Sage Canaday’s advice of pushing uphills and kind of coasting downhills. The logic is “you’ll lose more sandbagging uphill than you’ll gain bombing the downhills” and it seems to work for me in road races. It helps me get around a lot of people who I’ll never see again today. *snip*

I resemble that remark! 

Enjoyed the RR.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Goodnight John-Boy, goodnight Elizabeth, goodnight Jim Bob, goodnight Flavio and goodnight Piwi. ❤️😴

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I resemble that remark! 

Enjoyed the RR.

It’s true…I really didn’t ever see you again once we hit the first uphill. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It’s true…I really didn’t ever see you again once we hit the first uphill. 

Ouch.

Marby - the other thing to consider with NZ is a lack of certified courses. I wouldn't run one there unless you know it is. And even if it is, anyones guess if it's actually measured correctly.

Mikkey - I only know about goodnight moon. Maybe my favorite children's book.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Marby - the other thing to consider with NZ is a lack of certified courses. I wouldn't run one there unless you know it is. And even if it is, anyones guess if it's actually measured correctly.

Good one

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Hur hur.

All the big NZ marathons are AIMS-certified (including their respective half marathons).  That's Auckland, Christchurch, Rotorua, Wellington and Queenstown.  Hawkes Bay is the only larger one that doesn't appear to be (but they change the course so often that may have something to do with it).

Any NZ race that doubles as a national championship course must also be measured to AIMS standards.  But the national marathon champs generally just rotate between Christchurch and Rotorua anyway.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark don't tell him AIMS means accurate in most situations 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "