Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Schummy - 11lbs lost during a run is dangerous territory.

Mark - when was the last time you had to skip a training day? Was it that time you dropped
    a weight on your big toe?

I was surprised by that weather difference since New Zealand's area is smaller than the state I live in.
    But I can see it's spread out north to south.

Jmac - Learn from the pro. In the heat of summer you have to adapt:
    - run very early (4-6am is the coldest time of the day)
    - run laps around a water fountain
    - preferably run where there's shade
    - Slow down your pace 6-10% (I guess you did that already in this run)

Also thanks for the advice, I HTFU this last week and ran with the cough, I seem to be
    getting out on the other side now.

Steve - how's the massage ball working on the piriformis? Is it helping any?

I had a nice come back week. It seems I've maintained my speed but lost a bit of endurance.
    M: weights, had to quit a little over half way through as I was very tired already

T: 7 ez

W: 8 ez

T: 4x300 + 1000 + 4x200 + 2x500 - I could handle the shortest reps

F: took the day off

S: 12ez

S: 10k with 5x 1k ez + 1k fast

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac - Learn from the pro. In the heat of summer you have to adapt:
      - run very early (4-6am is the coldest time of the day)
      - run laps around a water fountain
      - preferably run where there's shade
      - Slow down your pace 6-10% (I guess you did that already in this run)

Also thanks for the advice, I HTFU this last week and ran with the cough, I seem to be
      getting out on the other side now.

- Got up at 5:30 am

- Took water every 2 miles from water fountains, so much so that I was getting stitches from having water in my stomach

- Ran on the west side of manhattan, which is in shade in the morning as the sun is blocked from the east by buildings

- Ran a good 45-60 seconds slower per mile than last week on a similar run

So I did everything! Didn’t help. I just think once I hit 2 hours, there isn’t enough water I could take. I’ve been fine on all runs 90 minutes and shorter, even my quality days where you’re working harder. Just think my sweat rate is so much higher than my possible intake rate that at some point, you run into too big of a deficit. I also think there’s a breaking point at 160TDP. I seem to be able to deal with it at all numbers lower than that, but once the dew point hits 75 and temps creep up to 85, I can’t control it.

Glad to hear you’re doing better. Also, you sound like you’re having the exact opposite experience of most: you should lose your speed first, endurance last.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - I see, a couple more questions:

- did you consume salt tablets? After some point you hydrate so much that the salt/minerals ratio decreases too much and you have to recover them. I remember my running coach recommending 1 salt tablet per 1 hour of effort in a marathon, though I suppose that'd vary according to the amount of water intake.

- did your heart rate go up exponentially?

- Did your sweat decreased a lot and your skin became covered in salt?

- Did you have a dry mouth despite intaking that much water?

The last 3 would be signs of dehydration (alongside dizziness).

All that said, it was probably too much effort at that weather for you, just like you said.

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - forgot to mention.

I'm not sure I really lost endurance, it's more that I'm tiring quickly since the cold literally killed thousands of my cells.

I'll have to see how I do with the next week workouts, those are going to be fun.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

And because I apparently can't think of everything at once:

for what is worth, my Garmin now is telling me my v02max is 56, while it said 60 2 weeks ago.

I'll hold judgement until the next couple of weeks, see if I get back quickly to the previous fitness.

I don't think your Garmin is a good judge of vo2 Flavio so don't worry. Your vo2 wont have changed in a couple of weeks.

Jmac I think there is a point that no matter what you do it's too hot to run x amount of miles. I think in those conditions you have no choice but to cut the run short.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

JMac- sorry I was a bit slow on this.  What you describe is almost certain to be salt/electrolyte loss.  When you sweat, you also excrete salts/electrolytes, particularly sodium and potassium.  If you were stopping for water regularly but weren't really feeling refreshed, I'd almost certainly say your body was low on electrolytes which was the real problem.  I tend to sweat quite a lot so over summer, I'll always 'preload' with electrolytes before a longer run or a race.  If it was really warm I would need to take some mid-run as well.

Flavio - the Garmin VO2 max estimator is not much more than a ballpark measure.  I apparently lose fitness if I run a lot of hills in a given week!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - nice week.  That Mona fartlek workout is definitely popular with a few of the top runners up here.

Flavio - nice week and good you are back in action.

Me - looks like the coach is going for a bigger-scale version of what we did training for Christchurch.  We've had 6 weeks of volume build this time so looks like there's gonna be a lot of workouts over the next 4 weeks as the volume drops while the intensity ramps up.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Weekly Update from the Death Valley Desert that is Minnesota in July.....IT RAINED AND ALL IS WELL IN THE WORLD!

Monday  11.1 miles @ 7:28  88 Degrees of Awfulness

Tuesday 7.3 @ 7:37             Crazy night at home and didn't get out the door until very late.  Pretty hot too and super humid

Wednesday 6 miles @ 7:14  Ran fast as it was again very late and (Started at like 9:30 pm) and again had to go shorter than planned due to family stuff.

Thursday 11 Miles @ 7:22  Felt really good and ran much faster than intended

Friday 6 miles in the morning and 9.7 miles at night.  This was the hottest day of the week with a horrible heat index in the 100's.  The evening run I lost a lot of water weight and my shoes were soaked in my own sweat.  I chugged water when i got home and stopped at 4 water fountains on the run.  I felt bad but bad like I had just run much further, not from the heat, but more so just muscle tiredness of week over week mileage.

Saturday RAIN!!!! I ran in a absolute downpour for the vast majority with the run on a group run.  We ran in about 2-3 inches of standing water.  Since I was running with the young guys (recent grads) we were clipping pretty fast for me. 9.1 miles @ 7:12 but the last 7 miles were all sub 7 min miles.

Sunday the weather was so much better. Ran 16.25 @ 7:28 and felt great.  It was in the low 70's and felt amazing.  I was shocked at how easy it was without the heat.

Ended up 5 miles less on the week than planned.  I'll pick it up Monday or Tuesday with a morning run.  My first race in a while in 2 weeks...15k on trails.

PS I'm down to about 167-170 lbs depending on the day.  Which is pretty good compared to my 235 lbs on 1/1/19

PPS I linked strava to my garmin and it uploaded last 90 days but skipped like 10 runs randomly.  Almost 1 run every 1.5 weeks it just ignored it.  I can see it in Garmin and RunningAhead, but not Strava.  Weird.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Just going to add I had two salt/electrolyte tablets during the run as well, so it wasn’t only pure water. May just be I can’t run in those conditions, or I need to find a better mix of electrolytes to get me going. But I feel it’s the former.

I’ll catch up on everyone else’s week soon.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Just going to add I had two salt/electrolyte tablets during the run as well, so it wasn’t only pure water. May just be I can’t run in those conditions, or I need to find a better mix of electrolytes to get me going. But I feel it’s the former.

I’ll catch up on everyone else’s week soon.

Yeah OK bearing that in mind, maybe it was just that suckful a day.

DPS - nice week (I like the mini-write ups for each run).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JamesD

JamesD

Went to the beach in St. Petersburg, Florida Wednesday-Sunday, so this was another light week. My hot weather run was pretty tame - 40 very easy minutes with DW in a nature preserve on dirt & grass.  Temperature 88/31, dew point 75. Wasn’t bad in the shaded sections (and the best part was not seeing any alligators or snakes), but I was going very easily & not very far. Because of fatigue, niggles, tapering for & recovering from a race, and the vacation, my last five weeks have been 30, 23, 17, 25, and 20 miles after averaging over 35 for several months. Hope to get the mileage back up this week.  

As for shoes, a week ago I bought another pair of Reebok Floatride Forever Energy for US$54 ($50 plus tax) on sale on Reebok’s website.  List price is US$100, but sales are pretty frequent - I paid $65 for my first pair. Don’t remember if they ship outside the U.S.

Sun - 30 minutes swimming

Mon - 9.3 miles easy

Tues - 6.2 easy

Weds/Thurs - off

Fri - 4.5 or so with DW in nature preserve

Sat - off

Total - 20 miles

12-week average - 31 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Temperature 88/31, dew point 75. Wasn’t bad in the shaded sections (and the best part was not seeing any alligators or snakes), but I was going very easily & not very far. Because of fatigue, niggles, tapering for & recovering from a race, and the vacation, my last five weeks have been 30, 23, 17, 25, and 20 miles after averaging over 35 for several months. Hope to get the mileage back up this week.  

Keep getting those quality runs.  Side note: I have heard in fact that being bitten by alligators and Florida snakes (especially moccasins)  tend to hurt your weekly mileage. #funfacts ;-)

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Question: What is BOTT in rule 9?

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Schumacher I'm thinking " Balls on the table " but maybe my dirty mind . Actually it does mean that, laying it all on the line.

That's a fast average pace week and wow on the weight loss. A few years ago anybody on here running a faster than 8 min mile weekly average got scolded but then Mark came along and blew that theory away . Although it often means the athlete has some fast potential which I suspect is happening with you.

James it's good to see someone with similar weekly mileage to me. I don't feel so bad now 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "