2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

kcam

Wondering too!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Maybe 8 is the new 10.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

KCam - Great news! 8 of 10 should let you get some solid tempos in.

Feeling a bit anxious about doing a 5,000m TT tomorrow. It's been about 50 weeks since my last 5k (that I also wasn't sure how hard to go out in), so I'm WAY too out of touch with how this race effort should feel. This should be "interesting". 

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OMR

kacm:  Wow, that's awesome news!

keen:  I feel the same way about pretty much every hard effort right now.  Yesterday was 11 miles with the last 4 at HM effort or faster, and I have no clue what any of that is supposed to be!

Working on a basement floor -- removing tile and the adhesive, not to mention the mold (ssooo stinky on so many levels) -- so haven't been online much.  My week...

M:  8M @ 8:47

T:  7.2M @ 8:24 OA, with 10 x "random hard hills on an unfamiliar point to point route"

W:  9.3M @ 8:47

T:  Rest

F:  18M @ 8:57

S:  12M @ 8:53

S:  Rest

Total:  54.5M

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Kcam - fantastic news!  And...FWIW, I'm not sure hitting an effort of 10 is the fastest way to run a race.  You might be surprised at how fast you can run with an 8.

Rovatti - will be good to see you.  If I'm not mistaken, your heat goes right before mine.

Speaking of which, I am mighty annoyed that my heat is now at 7:45 am, instead of sometime after 9 am like it was last year.  I was planning on taking the 3:10 am am train up from DC that morning, but I can't really do that and pull off a 7:45 am start.  The 3:10 am train gets into Penn Station at 6:40 - that only gives me 65 minutes to get from Penn Station to the race start, pick up my bib, find a place for my stuff, and warm up.  (and that's assuming the train arrives on time - not usually the case).  So I'm going to have to come up the night before.

Brewing - what was the final word on Max?

PJ - looking forward to see what you can do.

CK - I have to admit, I would find a time trial very hard.  Perhaps have a slightly conservative pace target for the first mile, and then try to up the effort from there?

OMR  - solid mileage.  Ick on the mold.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

AceHarris

I'm severely lacking my 3:20 commitment. Sorry everyone. We've been out of sorts this summer with travel and friends and family coming in town and now getting kids into the rhythm of daycare and school. Plus, I'm not running as much and thus not on RA as much. I've commenced a half-assed catch up on the thread.

kcam: that's great to hear the good news on the heart!

dwave: AHHH! The fall! That had to be awful. Glad you weren't injured.

Good to see some training and future races coming up for several of you.

My training plan for the 50k has evolved from a time based goal to just finish the race. Still running 35-43 miles a week on 3-4 days. Getting some climbing in, but not much speed. Long runs between 15-18 miles. Plan on working up in to the low 20s the next few weekends. Sadly, but perhaps not unexpectedly, with the shift in the goal I've had a shift in excitement about the race. Now it's just time to hunker down and say I finished a 50k. Probably need to increase my mileage. Not quite as fun as being in great shape and aiming for a good finish. Oh well. Just hoping I get into that 4/20 race. Roughly a month until I find out.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

From the Internet.

Back from mini-vacay and fighting off a cold - did a lot of sleeping yesterday! My race was, ah, not great, lol. The course ended up being more like 3.35 miles than 3.1, and the last half mile or so was mostly uphill. I tried to hang with first F but she steadily pulled away, by mile 2 I knew I would need a miracle to catch her and eventually she was out of sight. No one close enough behind to light a fire under me either, so I dialed back to a tempoish effort and just aimed to finish a good workout. 22:57 and 2nd F, continued on to make it a nice round 25 minute tempo.

I was cranky for a few hours but you know, I needed a cutback week anyway so it's not like that was a waste, and my week has already been really good so far as a result of the downtime (11+ in 90 minutes yesterday despite the phlegm and whatnot, 5200m worth of intervals with my club today averaging down around 6:00 pace). The fitness is there, I just gotta put my head down and keep training and racing and it'll come out in a meaningful way eventually!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dwave max finished but I haven’t heard from him. I sent his wife a text prior to his finish. He might stop in here soon.

Currently riding a boat past a former prison between rlk and jims neighborhoods. Let’s go Oakland.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Rovatti - ... your heat goes right before mine.

....So I'm going to have to come up the night before.

Sucks about the early start.  Well, if you don't decide to punt, I'll look for you around the finish area.

(Although you might finish before me...LOL)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ok, time trial done! 19:01. Temp was 73*, DP 68-69*. The wind was negligible - 3 mph at most.
                      My first thought when seeing the time was "dammit, two seconds?!". I suppose I'm fairly happy with it overall. I had hoped to be under 19 minutes, but this helped knock some of the rust off and I now have a known-good reference for a minimum of how hard I can push in a 5k and I can try improving on that in races (2 weeks out!).

I did the whole thing as close to DWave style as possible - my watch just showed HR and then 3 sec avg and lap avg power from Stryd, but I tried not checking it much. I also ignored all but one of the lap summaries that showed lap time - I only saw that one because my mind wandered just a bit during the 4th km and I hit the lap button late and I just happened to see the lap time.
                      "The Burn" didn't start too badly until the 5th km when I started trying to pick up the effort.
                      I primarily focused on trying to hold an even effort, keeping my breathing controlled, and counting how many times I crossed either the start or 200m line so I knew when to click the "lap" button to mark each km. One, two, three - lap! Rinse, repeat.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm severely lacking my 3:20 commitment. Sorry everyone.

My training plan for the 50k has evolved from a time based goal to just finish the race. Still running 35-43 miles a week on 3-4 days. Getting some climbing in, but not much speed. Long runs between 15-18 miles. Plan on working up in to the low 20s the next few weekends. Sadly, but perhaps not unexpectedly, with the shift in the goal I've had a shift in excitement about the race. Now it's just time to hunker down and say I finished a 50k. Probably need to increase my mileage. Not quite as fun as being in great shape and aiming for a good finish. Oh well. Just hoping I get into that 4/20 race. Roughly a month until I find out.

Just finishing is a solid goal. If there is lots of climbing I'd practice power hiking (western states thoughts #triggered) because it's different than running. Figure out nutrition and what you can eat. a 6-8 hour day is a little different (as I've heard) than a 6-12 hour day. Long hikes could help more than lots of mileage but I'm no expert on trail running. I regret it almost instantly every time I do it and keep telling myself "it will be different this time."As for the commitment I think the requirement for annual membership is one post a year. Way too much went down to catch up on.

I received a text from max and he's still alive. Unsure when the story will come out but he told me about one part that solidifies his commitment. I thought "checkers or wreckers" was bad but I think his approach to race is "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I think I know why I get along with him so well, and re-evaluate who I associate with almost every time I see him. I'm just a sucker for free drink containers (orange Western States bottle packed with running gear).

Random thought of the day:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/aug/15/winning-triathletes-jess-learmonth-georgia-taylor-brown-disqualified-tokyo-hand-in-hand-triathlon

Why would you make a rule specifically banning a deliberate tie? Does it make any different knowing this was an OTQ?

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Excellent job CK - you should be in PR shape then, as I find it very hard to believe that a race environment wouldn't take off an additional 10-15 seconds.

Rovatti - I'm definitely doing the mile.  Just annoyed.  I've already changed my train up to Saturday afternoon, which cost me all of $4 more, so no hardship there.  I'm just trying to find a Saturday night hotel that is a) clean, b) safe, c) bedbug-free, and d) reasonably close to the race so I can race, jog back to my room to change shoes, go out and run more, and then come back again to shower.  [requirement D pretty much keeps me from staying in Jersey]

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

dwave you like these shoes, correct? https://www.runningwarehouse.com/adidas_adizero_Takumi_Sen/descpage-AATS001.html

Unsure what size you wear but they made me think of you. I'm also unsure if mens shoes are shaped different from females. I just see Female size 7-9 are available for about $110 off.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dwave you like these shoes, correct? https://www.runningwarehouse.com/adidas_adizero_Takumi_Sen/descpage-AATS001.html

Unsure what size you wear but they made me think of you. I'm also unsure if mens shoes are shaped different from females. I just see Female size 7-9 are available for about $110 off.

!!! Thnk you!  Just ordered two pairs.

These don't come in women's shoes, so I always have to go with the men's in 5.5.

berylrunner

Rick

Trying to get things going again.   42 miles last week.  Decent considering some travel.  Just can't seem to schedule any long runs.  Cut the booze and feeling great.  No injuries or niggles at the moment.   Doing some intervals.  The speed is still there, just need to build the endurance again.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59