so so new (Read 1303 times)

Hey, yeah the la jolla is so good. Starts at Del Mar fairground and then follows the coast until La Jolla cove - although that torrey pines hill is biiiigggg Big grin You would be fine for april, IMHO, it is late april, giving you almost 4 months. At your standard at the moment i would suspect you'd have no problem - also the AFC can be hot, i sold my bib for that race because of the forecast/calves still sore after the RnR. Know the feeling about the commitment for the wcroadrunners, and i think your excuse sounds far cooler than surfing Wink
      Body Glide! You should be able to find it at any running / sports store. It's a MUST HAVE for running in the rain Smile
      2009: BQ?
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Body Glide! You should be able to find it at any running / sports store. It's a MUST HAVE for running in the rain Smile
        Thanks for the info and link! Now I know where to buy it, too.

that's what she said

Aaaack! I think you've convinced me! I was going to start the training for the half in August next week...may as well give it a shot. I figure I have until March to register, which will give me 10 weeks of training...I'll see how I'm doing at that point and then decide...sheesh..now I'm getting all nervous! Tongue ok..probably a dumb question Confused about tomorrow's 10k....I can't tell from the map if it starts and ends at the same point?? My 5ks started and ended near the same location....I'm hoping this is the same for this race because I dont' have anyone to go down with me, so that would be a long way back to the parking spot...can someone check out that map? http://www.mapmyrun.com/view_route?r=988af4254d31c71638890de6738105a8 Thanks!
          Nicole

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, that link you provided is for the 15k. I don't know about the 10k but I've never been to a race where they didn't provide transportation if it was needed. They won't leave you on your own. Enjoy the run, and please write a race report.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Rim Rock Dad

Tolley- Just wanted to drop by and wish you good luck on your first 10k tomorrow! Hope you have a great time, and have fun! Big grin
              James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I find I like to run substantially slower than the McMillan calculator. I've only started this year, after decades absence. My fastest mile this autumn was a 5:35, which leads to McMillan paces of 7:42-8:12 for easy, but I'm happier doing easy runs at 9:00 and higher, and I consider a 7:42-8:12 pace to be tempo -- that is, hard work, not "easy". For another data point, my fastest 5K this autumn was 20:12, which leads to McMillan paces of 8:01 to 8:31 for easy -- still faster than I'm doing, as I actually do anywhere from 9:00 to 10Tight lippedx for easy and/or long. Why do I run so much slower than the McMillan paces? Not mind you that I'm greatly concerned. I figure that if I had a HR monitor, I'd be running slow anyway, so I hope it is fairly beneficial to me to be running slowly. I also notice that my two data points above don't line up on McMillan calculator. I hope that means I can run faster 5ks -- it is true that I always have negative splits (speeding up in the second half, perhaps because I get excited and run about as fast as I can as I approach the end Smile) However, I cannot imagine running the longer distance predicted paces that the McMillan calculator gives for me. If I try to do a marathon, my guess is that I'll shoot for something between 9:00 and 10:30 pace.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

BeeRunB

Hi everyone. I don't really know where to start...I'm so new to running and have so many questions...I feel like I hit the lottery finding this place! Smile I started running about 6 months ago and so far have done two 5ks and I'm signed up for a 10k this Saturday. I also want to do the AFC half marathon in August. The thing is I don't want to walk any of it. I plan on using Higdon's training guide...is it (me running the half, without stopping) doable? Right now I run about a 9:30 mile (guess that's a fast walk for a lot of you Blush) and the farthest I've run is 5.5. Running the half seems impossible right now, I can't imagnine running for over two hours...Do I just add half a mile to my long run each week? I'll meet a limit, right? Knee pain!! Ouch, I'm having some bad right knee pain...almost like, behind my leg?! Today I did crosstraining and I feel fine...but I know when I do my 2 miles tomorrow it's going to start hurting again. It'll hurt about a half mile for the first part of my run then it goes away and the pain returns once I'm done. I think I need new shoes, but could it be more serious or is it common? Form....I saw race pics of my second race....I run funny!! My arms looked like they had a mind of their own...and my brother commented that I have a 'heavy"?? run....does it matter? How do I fix it if I don't know what I'm supposed to look like when I'm running? Stretching...when I was only running 2 or 3 miles I wouldn't bother..now that I'm doing 5 I have a feeling I'm going to hurt myself...how long should I stretch for? Before and after? Any stretch tips? Ok, I better stop now...any help would be appreciated....if these questions have already been asked and answered please just tell me where to go Big grin. Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to answer my millions of questions. Nicole
                  Hey Nicole and welcome to a lifestyle that can be an amazing journey. I tell the following to all beginners, take it or leave it: --get a heart rate monitor and don't run any of your training miles over 180-age--taking 6 months or n more if necessary to get your aerobic system to a developed state. Adding speedwork in after you've done this. If you don't want to do that, go to McMillan Calculator and pop in your recent race times. Then run all your training miles at the pace he gives you for easy and recovery runs. You don't need to do speedwork, you need aerobic work. You want to maintainn your health. Health and fitness are not the same thing, as you can be fit enough to run a very fast marathon, but if you are sick and injured the whole time getting there, that isn not health. 9:30 training pace is not a walk for me or for many others. If you are training at that pace, it might be way too fast for your current aerobic development. This might lead to injury and a lowered immune system. --increase mileage by no more than 5% per week. --create a weekly schedule that is based on the hard/easy approach. Follow each hard (high miles or time or speedwork) day with an easy day (low miles or time or complete rest or easy crosstraining). for example: M-10 T-5 W-10 T-5 F-15 S-rest S-5 --back off every 4th week, taking a recovery week. Cut your miles 20-50%. Then resume where you left off the week before. --always keep tabs on what your body is telling you. If you are in pain all the time, then you are overtraining. Most likely running at levels of exertion that are too high (the heart rate moniitor is a great tool to help you not do this). If you are sick, back off and rest or run very low mileage. --think long term. 6 months is nothing in a running career. If you dedicated the next 2 years to just building your aerobic system, then that will set you up for a lifetime. --read, read, read as many books on running that you can get your hands on. I recommend Training For Endurance or The Maffetone Method by Phil Maffetone, Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas, Daniel's Running Formula by Jack Daniels, Heart Rate Monitor Training for The Compleat Idiot by John Parker, etc. Education will help you to find what works best for you. A lot of trial and error will be involved. I've experimented for 4 years and found that Maffetonne training is the best for me at this point, as it is dedicated to health as well as aerobic fitness and speed, you might find something completely different. Good luck. Keep going! --Jimmy

that's what she said

So, here's my post race report: It was cancelled Cry Cry! So much for it saying on the website...'rain or shine'....I drove an hour! to get there, didn't sleep well because I was tossing and turning all night due to pre-race jitters, finally got up at 5:15am...The entire drive down there, I spent psyching myself up for running my first 10k in rain, or liquid sunshine, as my friend calls it....and blech. Cancelled. First, I was upset. Then I saw a chance for a once in a lifetime opportunity. I could win the race Cool! I wanted to take off running and shout back at the sopping wet race director to "TIME ME!" Oh well. I decided to go to the gym on my way home and ran 6 miles on the treadmill (longest run yet Big grin) Jimmy-Thanks for the link to the McMillan calculator...I think I find that approach the easiest to understand, so I plugged in my numbers and will use the suggested times for my easy and recovery runs. As far as your example running schedule you posted....would you say to use something like that over the Higdon guide I was planning to use to train for the 1/2 marathon? Or use that schedule when I'm not training for a race? 'Nother question for anyone who made it this far....Now that I'm going to be slowing down my training runs....how long will it take before I start seeing improvement in my time? Do I test it (how fast I can go) out every once in a while? Or....? I guess where I am confused is...if I'm slowing down...how will I know when I'm ready to speed it up a little? Happy Saturday everyone!
                    Nicole

Another Passion

Sorry your race was cancelled Nicole. What a bummer! Cool that you did 6 miles anyway though! Wink

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

.would you say to use something like that over the Higdon guide I was planning to use to train for the 1/2 marathon? Or use that schedule when I'm not training for a race? 'Nother question for anyone who made it this far....Now that I'm going to be slowing down my training runs....how long will it take before I start seeing improvement in my time? Do I test it (how fast I can go) out every once in a while? Or....? I guess where I am confused is...if I'm slowing down...how will I know when I'm ready to speed it up a little? Happy Saturday everyone!
                        To train for my half I use Higdon's schedule with McMillian's times. For example. when it says to do 5x400 meter 5k sprints, I do it at the time it says in the calculator (2:00 min 400 for me) or if the schedule says to do 3 mile pace run. I do what it says my 1/2 marathon pace should be. This way your running the most of your runs at the slower pace, but still at least one workout a week is faster. This way you can judge how your doing. You may not be able to hit the numbers McMillan says at first and thats ok, its a work in progress! Enjoy it.

Rim Rock Dad

Tolley, I don't know what to say. I haven't come across that situation before. Angry What I would do is try to ign up for the next one that pops up. Keep up what you're doing, and you should be fine. As far as testing yourself, go for a short run at about 90% of what you think your race pace is, probably once every 2 weeks should be enough. This will give you enough feedback to let you know how you're doing. Keep on motoring, I think you'll do just fine. Smile
                          James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart

Beatin' on the Rock

So today I was scheduled to run 2 miles and do some strength training. I decided to focus on changing 3 things....1. I slowed down from a 9:30 to about 10:55...it defiinitely felt weird but I noticed my run didn't sound as heavy. 2. I shortened my stride. That caused me to feel like my toes were hitting the ground first? Hard to explain. But I started to feel it more in my calves. 3. I tried to keep my arms at 90 degrees and not flapping in front of me...that was the most difficult change because it just didn't feel natural.
                            I may be new, but I read a lot, so I'm going to share some of the best tidbits about form; mostly from Stu Mittleman - loved his book: 1. Tiny little dinosaur arms (Picture T-Rex), they move, not above belly button. 2. Hold butterflies in your hands - no clenching fists! 3. Hold rose petals in the corners of your mouth - (relax!) 4. Your foot should strike in the middle, closer to the heel maybe, but not on toes, unless you're sprinting. 5. Limit your verticle movement; use the enery to propel forward. (Worth repeating) I also have read varying reports on stretching, although most agree that runners get tight in the hamstrings and lower back, so a few minutes POST run, after your cooldown, of relaxing, bent-over toe holds is only going to lengthen and relax those areas. You are doing GREAT! Good luck. Smile Hope that helps.
                            Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                            BeeRunB

So, here's my post race report: It was cancelled Cry Cry! So much for it saying on the website...'rain or shine'....I drove an hour! to get there, didn't sleep well because I was tossing and turning all night due to pre-race jitters, finally got up at 5:15am...The entire drive down there, I spent psyching myself up for running my first 10k in rain, or liquid sunshine, as my friend calls it....and blech. Cancelled. First, I was upset. Then I saw a chance for a once in a lifetime opportunity. I could win the race Cool! I wanted to take off running and shout back at the sopping wet race director to "TIME ME!" Oh well. I decided to go to the gym on my way home and ran 6 miles on the treadmill (longest run yet Big grin) Jimmy-Thanks for the link to the McMillan calculator...I think I find that approach the easiest to understand, so I plugged in my numbers and will use the suggested times for my easy and recovery runs. As far as your example running schedule you posted....would you say to use something like that over the Higdon guide I was planning to use to train for the 1/2 marathon? Or use that schedule when I'm not training for a race? 'Nother question for anyone who made it this far....Now that I'm going to be slowing down my training runs....how long will it take before I start seeing improvement in my time? Do I test it (how fast I can go) out every once in a while? Or....? I guess where I am confused is...if I'm slowing down...how will I know when I'm ready to speed it up a little? Happy Saturday everyone!
                              That always sucks when they cancel a race. Last that time that happened around here, everyone went out and ran the course anyway as a fun run. I was just suggesting a hard day/easy day approach. I think Higdon's schedules might do the same. The main point being to allow your body to recover between hard workouts (high miles or time or speedwork). Do what works for you. That can only be ascertained through trial and error. If you are going to use the McMillan calculator as your guide, your progress will be dependent on race times. Only time will tell when you will improve. There's a chance that if you run the times given to you in the caclulator for training runs that they might still be too fast for your current development. Just keep tabs on on your resting heart rate every day (when you awake in the morning, take your pulse for a minute). Determine what is normal for you, then if you find the resting heart rate is getting high on you, it might be time to back off until it normalizes. Plus, if you are sore, irritable, and tired all the time, that's a clue as well. I wish you the best --Jimmy
                              Mitochondriac

Hi everyone. I don't really know where to start...I'm so new to running and have so many questions...I feel like I hit the lottery finding this place! Smile I started running about 6 months ago and so far have done two 5ks and I'm signed up for a 10k this Saturday. I also want to do the AFC half marathon in August. The thing is I don't want to walk any of it. I plan on using Higdon's training guide...is it (me running the half, without stopping) doable? Right now I run about a 9:30 mile (guess that's a fast walk for a lot of you Blush) and the farthest I've run is 5.5. Running the half seems impossible right now, I can't imagnine running for over two hours...Do I just add half a mile to my long run each week? I'll meet a limit, right? Knee pain!! Ouch, I'm having some bad right knee pain...almost like, behind my leg?! Today I did crosstraining and I feel fine...but I know when I do my 2 miles tomorrow it's going to start hurting again. It'll hurt about a half mile for the first part of my run then it goes away and the pain returns once I'm done. I think I need new shoes, but could it be more serious or is it common? Form....I saw race pics of my second race....I run funny!! My arms looked like they had a mind of their own...and my brother commented that I have a 'heavy"?? run....does it matter? How do I fix it if I don't know what I'm supposed to look like when I'm running? Stretching...when I was only running 2 or 3 miles I wouldn't bother..now that I'm doing 5 I have a feeling I'm going to hurt myself...how long should I stretch for? Before and after? Any stretch tips? Ok, I better stop now...any help would be appreciated....if these questions have already been asked and answered please just tell me where to go Big grin. Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to answer my millions of questions. Nicole
                                Be smart. What you are currently doing as training is too much stress for you. Cut back and find something better that doesn't leave you wrecked. Probably a method that slows you down for awhile and builds you up very slowly.