Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

npaden

I just officially signed up for that local half marathon I was talking about a while back.  September 29th.  Should be about 500 runners.

Not a pancake flat course by any means, but no massive hills like the one that I will run in November if I do that one.  I'll be tapered really well because I'm not sure I'll run much at all the week before because I'll be in Wyoming on my elk hunt.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

edith-great job on that PR, sounds like a fun race weekend.

me-in taper mode for my full marathon on the 22nd. Ran a race-pace 18k in 1:33 with some still left in the tank, so it feels good. I have a few more runs and x-training until the marathon. Just hoping for nice/cool weather this time around. I's excited and scared at the same time, don't know what to expect.Confused

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
      2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

miele

Godzilla

I'm way behind!

Edith-  Congrats on a great race and the new PR!!!  You definitely have a sub-1:50 in you if you were to ever:  1) pick a course that's not ridiculously hard and 2)  Once you pick the flat-ish HM not to run it a week after a ridiculously hard HM.  Although you'll probably recover quickly since you're used to hills.  You might just be able to pull it off.....whoopie pie always helps recovery (although I have no idea what a whoopie pie is).   Sounds like it was a really fun race.

Lurch-  You seem to like picking difficult races, too.  Heat and humidity are not my friends, either.  Great RR!  You've already moved up a corral which seems to be a huge benefit.   Surf City will be a sub-2.  Are you following any particular marathon training plan?

Wolfie-  You're one crazy guy.  Midnight, 3am?!?!  I admire your determination especially since I know I would blow off running all together if I had to run at those times.

blue-  Maybe you have no business running sub-6:00 pace but isn't it nice to know that you can?  I could probably do it running downhill with the wind at my back.  Hope the knee thing is resolved.

Nathan-  Nice streak you got going!  I did run a 10k yesterday.  I'll write a min-RR at the end but it went well.  You made me think about the 800 pace in relation to the 10k pace and my last 800s were @7:28.  My pace for the 10k was 7:51.  So a :23 difference.  That's with terrible pacing and  a fantastic positive split so unless you have a really, really bad day I'd say you'll get your goal.

Jeff-  So are you saying you ran barefoot barefoot?  Or barefoot with those five finger type 'shoes'?  It hurts my brain to even think of running barefoot.  Plus, I just like shoes.

2ft-  Ok, next year is the marathon.  That'll give you plenty of training time.

stever-  How's the taper going?  Oh, just saw you posted.  I'll be hoping for good weather for you!

Yesterday I ran a local 10k.  It was the same 10k that was a full mile short last year (Grrrr) but this year it's USATF certified and they promised it was correct.  The cheerleaders managed to line up at the right spot this year so that was a major improvement.

The good:    I ran a 48:43 which is only :14 slower than my PR.  That was quite a surprise since I had to take 4 weeks off and re-build.  So I was very happy with that.  Also, my shin splints haven't hurt at all before, during or after runs.  It only hurts when I start poking and prodding.  So guess what?  I stopped poking and prodding.

The bad:  My pacing is as bad as ever!  At least I'm consistent.  I lectured myself all the way up to the start about not going out too fast.  Shortly after we started I checked my watch.  7:30.  That was a little too fast but it's a slight downhill so I was actually pleased with this.  I'm chugging along and check my watch again, probably at the half mile mark, and it said 7:06!!!!!  Whatthehell.  So I slow way down and finish the first mile at 7:38.  I hoped I hadn't just screwed up the whole race but I kinda knew I did.  Mile 2: 7:57, mile 3:  7:50, mile 4:  8:08,  mile 5:  8:30, mile 6:  8:10.

The ugly:  I'm an idiot.  I kept thinking about that Seinfeld episode where George insisted he was the biggest idiot.  I beg to differ.  Really, what's so hard about pacing?

I have a couple of months till my next 10k and I told DH that right before the start he needs to grab me by the shoulders, look me in the eyes and tell me, 'you're not nearly as fast as you think you are so slow down!'

Overall it was a good race and I'm happy I could get that time.  I had 12 scheduled for that day so after the race I slogged out another 5 (had a mile warmup) by running home.  That was difficult.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

You Rang?

Edith - thanks for the mini RR, congrats on the PR, and when in Amish country, watch your step!

npaden -  a 500 person half?  sounds quaint.  Have fun shooting(?) elk.

Stever - Slay that Marathon dead

miele - I started out training for Disneyland with a training plan that was specifically designed to run a sub 2:00 hm.  It has set paces for every training race including the easy runs.  When I found the easy work difficult and the difficule workouts next to impossible, I realized that I was not quite ready to pull off a sub 2 half.  Between Surf City and now I'm training for and running a full marathon.  I'm also pondering running the Hoover Dam Half in December as a tune up race for my full.

Me - I'm starting Pfitz's 18/55 marathon plan tomorrow with an 8 mile run.  It will be something of a nostalgic affair as I'm moving my house across town.  I started this hobby turned passion turned obsession on these sidewalks.  Now all my earthly goods are in boxes and I'm headed to new sidewalks.  But not before one last run.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Jan26.2

Wow! I'm even further behind that miele! Trying to catch up...

Nathan - Should we start calling you The Streaker? Cool Where in Wyoming will you be? I'm in Cheyenne, which is in the southeast corner.

miele - Congrats on your 10K. You're rebuilding weeks didn't hurt you one bit - in fact you came back super strong. I'm horrible at pacing too. The start of a race just feels so darn easy that it's hard to hold back. The only time I get it right is when I run with my son - he's the master of negative splits. I'm glad your shins are behaving!

lurch - Enjoy your last run in your "hood." Good luck with the Pfitz plan - it's pretty tough, but I'm sure you'll handle it just fine.

stever - How exciting - only 12 days out from your marathon! I'd say your 18k time is a good indication of things to come.

Edith - Congrats on the PR!! I've seen a picture of a whoopie pie, but haven't ever tried one. The pics look like it would be delicious.

Everyone Else - My work computer won't let me open the same site in two windows, do I can't see what you've been up to. When I get home I'll read back and see what I missed.

Me - Had a short flare up of hip bursitis along with some ITBS. I'm attributing it to the dumbass syndrome. Big increase in weekly miles, lots of hilly runs, and lots of biking miles on top of the running miles. My next half is on Oct. 13th in Long Beach, so I'm going to behave until then. I took a couple days off, and have had two painfree runs this week. Fingers crossed I caught it in time. Happy runs to everyone!

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

Edith ! congrats on a great run. It sounded like you had a lot of fun out there. I am jealous of your trail runs Smile  I have been trying to run on any dirt patch I can find, I think I am almost ready to tackle some good trails soon.

Nathan, great job on the intervals. they will pay off on your upcoming half for sure! Stay tough

Stever, You are going to do great on the full!!!  Sounded like a solid 18k.  Your training will get you there, just have faith in it. Less than two weeks left buddy. Keep up the good work Smile

Lurch, Good luck with that plan, I will have to check it out for sure! And good luck on the move also.

Jan- Wish you a speedy recovery and hope all the runs are pain free !!

Miele - Nice 10k considering the downtime from the injury and such.  I have some similar issues with pacing unless I really am paying attention and saying the mantra "Slow the first couple miles down" over and over for like 15 mins, then I let it loose.  But it never works great LOL

Me : Sunday's HM was sweet. New Pr by over 2 mins.  I wasn't going to push hard but I said F' it and went for it.  Here are the splits :

mile1 = 7.32  mile2 =7.16  mile3=7.26  mile4=7.21  mile5= 7.26 mile6= 7.40   mile7= 7.53

mile8 = 8.04  mile9=7.30  mile10=7.20  mile 11= 7.25  mile12=7.48  mile 13.1 = 7.31

Total distance 13.1miles   Time = 1hour37mins16secs   Avg Pace = 7.28per mile

Felt good to set a PR again. I have ran 9 halfmaras since July 14.  This training is starting to pay off.

I am now registered for my Full mara on Dec.26.  I have a lot of time considering I am over 40miles a week already and doing long runs of 16 already.  I will continue slowly grinding towards 24 miles.  The hansons train till 18 and then wing it did not work for me well last time. I am going to get really close to 26.2 this time in my cycle. I don't want any surprises.

Today I ran a cool hill training run. 6 miles. 3 up and 3 down, Felt good but I took it slow because it is a beast of an incline and can tear up the knees and ankles.  Here is a pic of the nature preserve I ran to this morning.  Cya guys and enjoy the week Smile

Hill run

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

npaden

Nathan - Should we start calling you The Streaker? Cool Where in Wyoming will you be? I'm in Cheyenne, which is in the southeast corner.

My streak is at 33 days at an avg of 6.8 miles per day now.  I'll break this one around 40 days when I leave for my hunting trip.  I will be about as far from Cheyenne as you can get, in the very northwest corner of the state.  The closest town to where I hunt is actually in Idaho.

Miele - that pacing sounds painful.  It also sounds like my most recent 5 mile race!   My splits on it were 7:20, 7:19, 7:36, 8:04, 7:49.  I'm hoping to have similar splits on the first couple miles, just hoping that instead of the big positive splits after that I am able to hold on and then hammer it home.

Me - I keep flipping back and forth between being positive about my chances for sub 45 and thinking that there is no way I will be able to pull it off.  Race day forecast is still holding up with gun time showing 65 degree, 70% humidity and wind S at 7 mph.  I could use a little cooler temperatures, but it would probably come at the expense of a stiff north wind so I guess I should probably be happy with the forecast as it is.  I need to start thinking like the little engine that could and motor up that mountain!

Last workout tonight, just 4 X 400m intervals but at mile race pace which has been around a 6:00 pace the last time I ran them.  Not sure I can run a mile that fast, but I can run 4 X 400m intervals that fast anyway.  Just some easy miles the rest of the way in before race day on Saturday morning.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

So much to catch up on.....I have been sick for the last week - and just coming back to half functioning - so bear with me while I try to catch up!

Stever - Enjoy the taper, stay hydrated and kick that marathon's butt!  Your paces look great - Excited and scared are the appropriate feelings when heading into the race...you will kill it!

Edith - You are a rock star - congrats on the PR!

Wolfie - Are you crazy ( I mean that as a huge compliment) - 3am??  And you are just flying - get your self to a certified race my friend - I want to see your time.

Miele - Pacing is overrated :-)  I ALWAYS go out to fast - and try to hang on ...especially in a 10K - If I feel good in the beginning - take advantage of the adreneline....and just gut it out....your pace and race look great to me - congrats on the PR!

Lurch - let me know how the phitz goes - that is the program I will start next summer for a fall marathon.

Jan - I too suffer from dumbass syndrome - and not just in my running life either - - hope you are feeling better soon.

Nathan - good streak - enjoy the hunt - !

Me - I have been sick for almost 10 days - it feels like mono - but the doc and blood test says no.  I am out for the race this weekend....I gave myself an hour for a pity party and then realized there are other races and I should just get over myself.  Hope to try to at least get a few mile in this weekend......disappointed...but sometimes these things happen.

Ready, go.

tara-hope you feel better soon, missing a race has to suck, but you need your rest first. You'll come back with a vengeance.

npaden-enjoy that streak. I don't think I have ever had more than 3 day streak. I'm such a slacker!

miele-Don't start too fast!! Big grin. It's tempting and easy to get sucked into that race-start vortex of energy and emotions.

wolfe-man, are you ever cranking out those HMs. I'm sure that sub 1:30 is not too far off.

jan-speedy recovery, only a month out of your HM. Me too, I stopped poking around after my shin splits went away.

lurch-slay it, I will. Good luck on your new place.

me-a little more than a week to go before the full. And like any crazy-minded runner, I signed up, along with DW, for a 5k this weekend. We both want to get  a PR so bad this year, as we both missed out on them so far in the last few races. She's trying to better her 25:58 5K and me, my 22:47 5K from last year. Fingers crossed, as I will go all out this weekend to attempt a PR. I need that for my mental preparation for the full.

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
                    2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

Zelanie

OK, I am way behind.

npaden- Sounds like everything is coming together just at the right time for your goal race!

Edith and miele- Congrats on your races!  Loved both of the reports. Smile

Stever- Good luck next week!  This is your first full, right?  Oh, and good luck this week too, hehe!

Jan- Behave! Wink

Lurch- Good luck with your move!  Sounds like you will still have some nice running routes.  I do have to try the pier to pier run the next time I'm down in the area.  This year I didn't really go over to the mainland at all.

Wolkwalker- Glad you got registered!  It is interesting that what works for you as far as avoiding injury (fewer days) seems to be exactly the opposite of what works for me (fewer miles per run, more days).  That's the cool thing about running is how everybody can get to their goals from a different direction.

Everyone else- Sorry I missed you. Happy running!

me- Training still going well!  I've made 3 consecutive group track workouts, although I shortened two of them.  The good news is that I am hitting all of my paces pretty comfortably.  Maybe this bodes well for my 5K this weekend and my 10K in two weeks.  Still keeping my training focused on the HM in Nov, though, since that's the one I care more about.  Not that I don't have goals for these ones, though!  It's been so long since I've raced that I am really just hoping they are based in reality.

miele

Godzilla

Edith-  Good luck in your HM!!!!  Hope you've recovered well from last weekend.

Nathan-  Go get that PR!!!  It's yours for the taking!

stever-  Good luck to you and your DW in the 5k!!!  PR's for both of you.....

Tara-  So sorry to hear you've been ill.  I hope you're feeling better now.  There will be other races.

Lurch-  I've done the Pfitz 18/55 and quite liked it.  Hopefully you'll like it, too.  Enjoy the new 'hood!

Jan-  Geez, you really went a little crazy with all the exercise!  No wonder your bursitis and ITBS yelled at you.  That's OK.  You've got time before your HM to recover.  Really, why can't body parts cooperate and play nice?

Wolfie-  Officially signed up for the marathon, are you?  Excellent!  You're going to do so well.  Although a 24 mile training run is just nuts, IMHO.  But you seem to do just fine doing your own thing.  I hope you're getting cooler weather now.  It's been beautiful up here in the mornings with the fog cooling everything off.

me-  Just running the mileage this week.  No speed.  It just seems to take forever to recover from a race.  If I feel up to it then I'll try the tempo tomorrow but we'll see.   Been slacking off the gym the past couple of weeks.  Tore out the seats from the truck and got a bench seat which needed reupholstering.  Then, while the seats are out, you gotta tear out the old carpet, right?  Then you've got to put in sound deadener, right?  Since we have no idea what we're doing it's taking a little longer than expected.  But I'm getting my runs in first thing so I have the rest of the day to deal with the truck.  Have a good weekend, everybody!

miele

Godzilla

Zelanie-  Cross-posted.....Good luck to you, as well!!!  Isn't it a good feeling when you hit your paces?  Love it when that happens.

npaden

Well, it seems like you guys had more faith in me than I did, but I was able to pull it off!  44:51!!!!  Big grin

It was about as humid as it can get and I was a bit worried about that, 94% humidity isn't something that I normally run in.  But it was 65 degrees and overcast and a light cross breeze for 95% of the race so I think that more than made up for the humidity.

Started out a tiny bit too fast right at the gun, my runkeeper app gave me a 1 minute split pace of 6:50 something so I tried to slow it down a little bit and get into a groove.  I guess I did!  I'm amazed at how consistent my splits are.  The first 3 or 4 miles I kept waiting for it to get harder, but I was just rocking along and my HRM kept telling me that I could keep this up.  I didn't start crossing what I think my lactate threshold HR is until mile after the halfway mark and I knew I could keep that up as long as it didn't spike.  Skipped the first aid station and then next one wasn't until the 3 mile mark.  Just took a sip of water to moisten my mouth and poured another cup on my head.  Still feeling good through mile 4 and 5, really getting confident, but not wanting to push it and blow up and miss my goal.

Another sip of water at mile 5.2 and another cup of water on my head and just kept rocking it on in.  There was a guy ahead of me that was keeping a good constant pace and I just tried to stay about the same distance out from him.  My split on mile 6 shows to be my slowest, I actually thought I was picking it up a little bit on that mile and my runkeeper app was telling me the same thing, but somehow when the GPS track got logged it shows a slowdown right before the 6 mile mark, I guess maybe I did slow down some there unintentionally.  Started having to work at it and my breathing was getting labored, but my HRM was still telling me I was in good shape and when I turned the corner with about 300 yards to go.  I was a little worried that my phone GPS could be off a bit, but I had been matching up with the mile markers pretty well so I wasn't really concerned.

Started to pick it up and bring it in, still had some left in the tank for sure.  Saw the clock and it was a little closer than I had intended, I guess my GPS was off a little bit so I really had to hammer it on in the last 100 yards or so but came in under the clock as it ticked to 44:5X.  I was very happy.  Had to push it that last bit and was for sure feeling it from that, but I was really surprised at how well everything had gone otherwise.

Here's my splits, pretty consistent!

Splits (GPS Interval)
                             TypeDistance Split settingsDurationTotal DurationPaceAvg HRMax HRNotes
                            1 Manual 1 mi 7:13.81 7:13.81 7:14 165 174  
                            2 Manual 1 mi 7:14.94 14:28.75 7:15 172 176  
                            3 Manual 1 mi 7:13.26 21:42.01 7:14 174 179  
                            4 Manual 1 mi 7:13.2 28:55.21 7:14 177 183  
                            5 Manual 1 mi 7:14.51 36:09.72 7:15 179 188  
                            6 Manual 1 mi 7:17.62 43:27.34 7:18 181 186  
                            7 Manual 0.24 mi 1:32.66 45:00 6:27 186 192

I was pretty confident at about 4 miles in because my HR was lagging about 1 mile from last couple 10K races.  My overall avg HR actually ended up lower by a couple beats than my last 10K.

Finished 1st in my Clydesdale division and 16th overall out of about 100 runners.  Pretty happy to meet my goal.  I really didn't know whether I was going to be able to do it or not when the gun went off to start the race.

Thanks for all the support!

Nathan

Wow Nathan Great PR and great meeting of a goal!!! Congrats man!! Perfect splits indeed

I  took a day off from running and did some core exercises last night instead. My ankle was bugging me but I think it will be fine for tomorrows long miles.  Just popped in to say Congrats to Nathan,  later for personals!!

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Zelanie

Nathan, congratulations!  I'm so happy that you were able to accomplish your goal! Now you need a new one for the rest of the year. Wink

And you're right, those are some seriously consistent splits!