stress fractures (Read 575 times)

I had a stress fracture April of 2007 in my 5th metatarsal (sp?) I followed my doctor's orders and recovered fine. After getting permission to run again I ran until August of 2007 when I began Pregnant. I walked the entire pregancy but didn't resume running until 3 months ago. I started out slow and now only run half of what I used to. So the question is this: Once you have a stress fracture are you more likely to get another in the same spot? I've noticed that after I run my foot is tender and the top of it hurts a bit. (Not the exact same area of the stress fracture but close) I'm thinking that maybe the area will always be a bit sensitive or it my be my crazy head in fear of another one. I only run 10-14 miles a week, half on a treadmill, and only 27 years old. Thanks, I hoping I'm just crazy!
    Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
      I think that you are technically more likely to have another since you've had one in the past. I've heard/read a lot about stress fractures since I had 2 of them and many people say that the tenderness can last 6 months to a year after you've been released. You might want to look into taking a calcium pill or powder just to make sure you're bones are strong and healthy. That's what my doctor and coach had me do. Not being a doctor, I can't say this with 100% certainty but I doubt you have another fracture if you're "only" doing 10-14 miles a week. Just be careful moving up in mileage.
        awesome! Thanks so much for your opinion. I'll just rest and ice it some!
        Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th

Fat runner

During your pregnancy your body makes a substance that loosens tendons and/or* ligaments. This is to help with the delivery. This can also cause the tendons (and/or ligaments) in your feet to loosen up and cause you to have bigger feet. So keep that in mind when buying new shoes. (*) maybe a runner with a womb can correct me here. I only have this information out of second hand for obvious reasons.
          Goals:
          Get weight down from 124kg to 100kg (currently 110kg)
          Survive 1st 10k: 7/09/08 1:01:36 - Second 10k 5/10/08 57:42
          Survive 1st HM: 26/10/08 2:06:04
          Must find new goals ...