Trail running/hiking gaiter recommendations (Read 563 times)

She-Rah

Hi- I've seen the dirtygirl gaiters which sya they don't try to be water repellant. I plan to use these on a trek in Peru during the rainy season so I want some water repellancy. I've seen the Inov8 sock ones but am not sure if they are durable enough. The Mountain Hardware ones look good but pricey. Any that I am missing? Thanks!

flatland mountaineer

LaSportiva packages some pretty nice ones with their Gore-Tex shoes if Sportivas work for you.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

TrailDoc

TrailDoc

Big fan on mountain hardwear trail gaiters. They are tough and allow you to replace the lace on the bottom. If you are going to Peru, you want something that will hold up and have parts that can be fixed easily. Only water repellent ones will be made of Gore-tex and will be expensive.

2014 Goals: sub-3:10 Vancouver Marathon, Leadville 50M, UltraTrail du Mont Blanc 100K

You'll ruin your knees!

If you're running in the rainy season...you're gonna get wet! I would recommend the dirty girls or the ones you find at ZombieRunner. The reason I recommend these is 1) they provide good protection against getting small debris in your shoes 2) they don't have a strap under your foot which makes them easier to manage if you are changing shoes/socks and they don't have a string under your foot to break, rendering them useless during a run, 3) they are not as hot/warm as something heavier (if your foot gets all sweaty, defeats the purpose of waterproof) and 4) heck, i forgot what 4 was going to be... Anyway, my $.02... Good luck in Peru! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I use Outdoor Research gaiters for mountaineering and ice climbing. They've survived 17 seasons of ice climbing and are still going strong... I'd give'em two thumbs up.
              I bought Merell trail running gaiters and they SUCK!!!!!!! I got the biggest size that they come in and they barely wrap around my ankle, and it takes about 10 minutes of pulling and stuffing to get them over the tongue of my shoe, then about 3 minutes later they pop open/off. Really frustrating product, I am not sure why the biggest size is so small. I do wear a size 15 shoe but I can't imagine these fitting on a 12.
              For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.