The worlds fastest shoe? (Read 568 times)

From Slashdot.org

"Engineer and designer Luc Fusaro from the Royal College of Art in London has developed a prototype running shoe that can be uniquely sculpted to any athlete's foot. It's as light as a feather too, weighing in at 96 grams. The prototype is aptly named, Designed to Win, and is 3D printed out of nylon polyamide powder, which is a very strong and lightweight material. The manufacturing process uses selective laser sintering (SLS), which fuses powdered materials with a CO2 laser to create an object. This process means 3D scans can be taken of the runner's foot so as to ensure the shoe matches the shape perfectly. Fusaro can also change the stiffness of the soles according to the athlete's physical abilities. The shoe can improve performance by 3.5%, meaning a 10 second 100-meter sprinter could see his time drop by 0.35 seconds, which is a huge time saving relatively speaking. Imagine if Usain Bolt put a pair of these running shoes on."

Flame away! Big grin

an amazing likeness

My right shoe was once the world's fastest shoe for about 0.1 of a second....

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

#artbydmcbride

Confused  being exactly molded to fit your foot makes you run faster?     I thought the springs in the sole do that.    Big grin

No blisters is a good selling point, but faster.........? 

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

My right shoe was once the world's fastest shoe for about 0.1 of a second....

Not laced tight?   Did it fly?

Runners run

xor

Sad

i do think it's cool it's "made" with a 3D printer, and the whole fitting concept. But, what makes it the fastest? Simply it's weight? 

If that's the case, it's only a matter of time before there's a lighter material that provides more "spring to stiffness" than this material. 

#artbydmcbride

Sad

What is wrong, Monsieur Pussy Cat?

Runners run

bhearn

i do think it's cool it's "made" with a 3D printer, and the whole fitting concept. But, what makes it the fastest? Simply it's weight? 

If that's the case, it's only a matter of time before there's a lighter material that provides more "spring to stiffness" than this material. 

Maybe, but nylon is not only strong and light, it also has a mature 3d-printing technology using it. I've printed a fair amount of SLS nylon stuff myself (puzzles, not shoes). It is VERY strong and light, and the printers these days print very high resolution, for not a huge cost. Though it would still be on the expensive side to print a pair of shoes.