Plantar Fasciitis - Treatment Options that worked for you (Read 304 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

Easy trails and minimalist shoes did it for me. Two weeks of trails/ grass( soccer field) 4 days a week.

+1 for me too. Switched from marshmallow stability shoes to thin, no-toe-drop shoes and it cleared up in a few weeks.

Hobby Jogger Especial!

Working the trigger points in my calves with my hands (see video) and with a stick helped me.

http://sock-doc.com/2011/03/205/

npaden

Thanks again everyone for all the responses!

One thing for sure that I realized is that my poll was woefully inadequate!

The other thing I learned was that there is a LOT of knowledge on this forum and I think I'm on my way to having my PF nipped in the bud!!!

I'm 90% sure that the root cause of my flare up was a few months back when I bought a new pair of dress shoes to wear at work.  I think it would have taken me a long time to figure that out if it wasn't for this thread.  I've gone back to some not as nice, but more comfortable shoes for work and that is making a HUGE difference.

The frozen water bottle and the loose pair of running shoes to use as slippers have been the biggest help to keep the pain to a minimum while dealing with it.

For sure it isn't getting any worse, it's still hanging around a bit, but overall getting better.  It is the worst after tempo runs and fast intervals, but not too bad on just an easy run day.

Thanks again to everyone for all the input.

Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Latent Runner

I had such a bad case of Plantar Fasciitis I practically needed crutches just to get out of bed in the morning.  I finally bought a night splint, and as uncomfortable as it was (initially anyway), the immediate pain was eliminated within days.  Just to be on the safe side, I wore the splint for an easy six months before it finally broke; the good news is that 10+ years later, I've yet to have another bout of PF.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
          • 2-mile: 13:49
          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
          • 5-Mile: 37:24
          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13