2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

To me, the hardest thing about marathoning is knowing on race day whether you have it. But my best gauge is probably 2 weeks out, I do something like 16 miles with last 10 at GMP. I can almost always hold it, but it's the level of effort that gives me an indication - it should feel like you're pushing, but not killing yourself.

I do it completely backwards from most others.  I run all my marathon pace workouts at what feels like marathon effort (ignoring the watch), with two sessions of 2x5 miles with 1 mile float in between being my staple workouts.

In races where all has gone well, the pace I've sustained for those "feels like" marathon pace workouts is what I hold on race day (when I also don't look at my watch).  So generally I know what I'm capable of, based on those workouts.

But I don't pick a pace and then try to decide whether I can hold it on race day.  Rather, I run at what feels like marathon pace during training, and whatever that pace is in my final weeks of training is what I expect to hold on race day.

DLS - really sorry about the truck incident.  That is terrifying and I'm glad it wasn't worse.  The job loss on top of that is a real 1-2 punch, and that sucks.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

watsonc123

Dps - sorry about the truck injury, and your job.

Darkwave - your pacing strategy is probably a really good idea.  The issue is that many of us just make up a number that we're aiming for and pace for that, and then if we're overly optimistic (conditions, how we are on the day, or we've just generally over estimated) then we fall apart.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Running Problem

Problem Child

hashariti 10 miles at goal marathon pace in full race day prep.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Thanks for the support. You can find me on strava (Dan Lauer-Schumacher) if you want to look at my training. Otherwise, going to be busy. In the midst of all this we were prepping our house for sale, so still finishing some remodeling as well. All these combined are why I have not been keeping up on the boards.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

cinnamon girl

RP - English is my second language so I might be missing something, but to me that was very light friendly banter. In Brazil it was very common to take the piss at your friends, things like bitch, bastard, son of a whore. In fact, the nastiest the curse word the closest the friend.

I'm glad you're here Flavio. Many of your posts make me grin or chuckle. So weird to say grin and chuckle (smile and laugh??) but whatever. I agree with your comment.

JMac - did you see Woody Kincaid in the 5000? Some days it's a side stitch, some days it's not.

DavePNW - is this your first time at Chicago? For the 5k at this point I would just repeat Mona once a week if you enjoyed doing it.

JT - still a solid week with a nice tempo

I enjoyed Eugene. Men's 1500 was stupid. Woody was exciting in the 5000.

M: 4 mi (8:51)
            T: 5 mi +strides (8:17)
            W: 3 x 3200 (12:58, 12:52, 12:41) w/4:30 jog rec           
            T: 4 mi in AM (8:42), 6 mi in PM (8:07)
            F: off
            S: 11 mi (7:57)
            S: 17.5 mi (8:12)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

RP - DUDE! You just ran farther in a single run than my whole week 😱. Damn!!!! Damn!!

Damn!!!

Shame on you for not going out there for the extra 0.02 mile. Late last year I went out for a quarter mile run so I could run more than CommanderKeen during his post marathon/covid recovery week 😎

DW - That was an excellent way to describe the thread. 

Dan - Sorry to hear about the incident with the truck and the job loss. I also am out of a job from July 1st, the market is a bit bleak at the moment.

I hope you can find your feet quickly. I’m lucky I have plenty of savings because I’m a freelancer and being out of jobs to do is more common to us.

Keen - swinging purses 😂😂😂

Steve - LOL at your comment about rectangles. I also stay at the back cause I’m too old I can barely stand the whole concert heh.

Hashi - So is it official now re: marathon training?

Cinnamon - Thank you, you are very kind 😊

Jmac - Not sure you need more mileage if you are aiming for a moose mug. That said, IIRC you were peaking at around 80 miles per week, so 90 miles per week could be doable.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Hashi - So is it official now re: marathon training? 

Absolutely not (just in case my wife is reading this)

JMac - Congrats on #2. Exciting times! I think I was more nervous with #2 than #1, for a variety of reasons.

50+ age-group PBs:  Half Perish 1:24:24 (June '23 Road Race) - 10km 37:52 (2022 Local Road Champs) - Track 5km 18:49 (Aug '22) - Perish Run 3:17:42

2024 Goals: Boston Perish Run Sub 3:15 - Road/Track 10km Sub 37:30 - 5km Sub 18:20

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Track workout for me today.  6 x 800m around 5k pace/effort with 400m recoveries (theoretically at a pace about 50% slower than the 800s).  My regular RP couldn't make it by my 15 year old son joined me (after wheedling a ride to the track from his mother).  He ran 5 of the 800's with me, which is a good start for someone new to track work.  I suspect he needs more mental training as I'm pretty sure he would have been physically capable of running the last one, but given he's new to track work, I was happy with it (and glad to have the company).  7½ miles on the day for me (I didn't get rides to/from the track).

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                  10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

DavePNW - is this your first time at Chicago? 

Yep. Looking forward to it—in addition to the potential for a strong race, it’s my hometown and I haven’t been back for ~8 years. 

Incidentally, so far every marathon is my first time—in 16 races, I have yet to repeat one. For a while it just sort of happened that way, and then I decided to keep it going. There are some I wouldn’t mind doing again, but there are enough different races out there I’d like to try.

And can someone tell me what a Moose Mug is?

Dave

Ian5

Dave-I'm in for Chicago.It will be my 5th major so just need to get in to Tokyo after that.

Had a rough week last week,uncle passed away and I was ill over the weekend,managed 45miles so hoping to increase that this week.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Absolutely not (just in case my wife is reading this)

Pardon me, yeah, I was talking about that *long run* you're planning.

Hi Mrs. Hashi, nothing to see here 😇

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

RD for my 4-mile race on Monday sent out an email saying conditions look like they'll be "ideal."  Hmm, 74º (23C) and sunny is not quite my definition of ideal conditions for a race.  Maybe for the spectators....

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Dave-I'm in for Chicago.It will be my 5th major so just need to get in to Tokyo after that.

Nice! Good luck getting into Tokyo. So far my only major is Boston. It would be cool to do the others, but not really something I'm planning at this point. My wife is a non-runner, so she puts up with a lot of my ridiculous antics, but spending valuable vacation time and money to run a stupid race is a tough sell. Even domestically, for NYCM - with airfare, race fee, 3 nights in an NYC hotel (can't do less from the west coast), it's probably an >$2000 excursion.

Dave

Ian5

Nice! Good luck getting into Tokyo. So far my only major is Boston. It would be cool to do the others, but not really something I'm planning at this point. My wife is a non-runner, so she puts up with a lot of my ridiculous antics, but spending valuable vacation time and money to run a stupid race is a tough sell. Even domestically, for NYCM - with airfare, race fee, 3 nights in an NYC hotel (can't do less from the west coast), it's probably an >$2000 excursion.

I'm lucky in that my wife also runs,and we have managed to combine NYC and Boston into a break away,Berlin was only an hours flight so easy to do.

Hoping by time we get to October to be in good shape.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Nice.  I am entered in Chicago also.  So IF I manage to make it to that start line, we can have a forum encounter.

Ian - sorry to hear about your uncle.

Dave - A moose mug time is a marathon time that is either a) under 2 hours plus your age if you are male or b) under 2:20 plus your age if you are female.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.