10km pacing- result at bottom. In case anyone is curious (Read 80 times)

Village people

Kind of quiet here. My 18 yo son is running a 10km in a couple of weeks and is looking for pacing suggestions. He is mostly a track guy but has been getting in some good mileage this summer. Here is some info from Strava.

Village people

What the heck did I do. Sorry. Here is one more piece of information from Strava. He hasn’t raced all summer but has been doing workouts  like tempo runs along with easy runs. His 5km time from last fall is 17:4x and his longest race in track was the mile but he is an 800m guy.

an amazing likeness

Beach to Beacon?  Course is really separate segments...

• Start to about 1mi is pretty level and worthy of opening fast, keeping left. Usually fastest split or 2nd fastest.
        • 1mi - 2mi steady mild uphill as you're turning left...then sharp dowhill to bottom of Old Ocean House Rd at 2.5mi. Usually 2nd best split.
        • 2.5mi - 3.5mi is hard work, all uphill, heat growing...this is most runners' second slowest split.
        • 3.5mi - 4.8mi is steady downhill on Shore Rd, most runners are gassed from the previous climb, the growing heat and just pull back to their 'base' pace from the 1-2mi segment.
        • 4.8mi - 6mi is sharp uphills and some shorter downs...usually worst segment, plan for hurt locker and slow.
        • 6mi - 10K is in the park on level walking path, then grass, crowded, can be hard to wind it up.

Bottom line, he should plan to positive split...the front 5km to the bottom of Old Ocean House at Alewife Farm is lots faster.  The downhill from the turn on Shore Rd to the bottom of the course at 4.6mi is the only segment in the second 5km for pace...everything else in the 2nd half is climbing and sucking wind.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Village people

That is very helpful! Thank you. He has run the race a few times and we used to live just off the course so this will make a lot of sense to him.

an amazing likeness

Of course, full disclosure is: (1) I'm an old guy, not an 18 year old young beast; (2) where I wrote "most runners" means the 4 or 5 people I know and compare splits with, I don't know what happens to real runners on the course...they're home having pancakes by the time I get to the lighthouse; (3) I've heard / read reports from folks who negative split it by using that downhill-trending section starting with the turn onto Shore Rd to drop the hammer and then somehow don't wilt in the 5-6mi split.

Village people

I’ll mention that strategy to him. I think this is really interesting. He’s going off to college but I just emailed his high school coach to volunteer at some meets. He’ll need more help at track. 

I don’t what he plans to do. He really appreciated that detailed breakdown. He loves running and everything that goes with it. He has been putting in a lot of work to prepare for xcountry and is getting quite fast. I think it would be good for him to race it and see his progress. He ran it preCovid in 46min. We’ll see.

JMac11

I spilled the milk

Only thing I'd add is that weather this time of year plays a major role, especially in a race as long as a 10K. If you get a very humid morning with the sun out and temps near 70, expect times to be a good 10-15 seconds per mile slower than in ideal conditions.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Next Race: Grete's Great Gallop 10K (8/27)

Train SMART

I would just encourage a conservative start yet not a slow start. Young athletes just wanna go with adrenaline. If he is fading and then has to deal with tougher part of course in 2nd half then it will result in sub optimal performance. He wants to be strong when others are fading later in race. With his speed he can make up a bunch if for some reason he starts a tad too conservative. This is smart racing.

Run Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training. www.smartapproachtraining.com

Village people

Any suggestions about where he should line up? It is self seeding.

an amazing likeness

Pace zones are marked (or have always been in the past) in the starting chute, and the elite have their own start section in front -- so he should line up towards the front of the pace zone he thinks he'll run. Left side. Little or no harm is being overly optimistic in the chute for this course, there's plenty of road space right after the start mat and he wont be road furniture if his start location is a bit too optimistic.

Village people

Thanks, everyone. I am suggesting that he line up by the 40min sign. Depending on his running schedule he might make it a tempo run or the excitement will get to him and he will race it.

an amazing likeness

Going to be steamy without much cooldown overnight Friday...looking likely a sweatfest and lots of walkers after the 'shower of power' on Shore Rd.

Village people

I’m in southern NH and it is still pretty muggy. One year someone was passing out bacon on Shore Road (I think) that might be DS’s downfall.

Village people

He hit his goal. Aimed for a 6:30min/mile pace and averaged 6:29 to finish 40:16. Oops, I gust Strava had him just under 40min. He ran a good race and ran back to the car for a good chunk of miles for the day.

an amazing likeness

That is stout.