Postpartum victories? (Read 635 times)

ohanapecosh

I'm slowly trying to struggle back to fitness after having a baby.  I wasn't able to run during pregnancy for a variety of reasons.  Anyone else in the same boat?

My victory yesterday was running 2 miles without stopping!  Slow and painful, but I got through it. Wink

Treadmill Addict

I'm not postpartum anymore, my youngest is almost 2. (I wasn't able to run at all either, high risk pregnancies for all 3 of mine.) But, I ran a half marathon just 5 months after my 3rd was born. I was still breastfeeding, and had gained quite a bit of weight during the pregnancy. My running post partum was SLOW. I was so tired and sleep deprived from being a mom to a new baby plus the other two monsters I already have. But, as much as a struggle that it was, I'm glad that I did it. I was still 10lbs over my normal weight for the half, but I ran the whole thing with no walking. It was very tough. I think my finish time was 2:27. 

My advice is just to take it slow. Get out there and do as much as you can, and do it as slow as you need to make it enjoyable. 2 miles without stopping is an awesome start! Keep in mind it will take time to get back to where you feel like yourself again. (At least it did for me.) Good luck, and congrats on your little one. Smile

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

A Saucy Wench

all my PR's were set in the 2 years following my last baby.    Good luck!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

ohanapecosh

Thanks Ennay!

Sarah - 5 months?  Wow.  That is definitely not happening for me.  I'm impressed.  I don't know how you found time to train!  Our jogging stroller isn't supposed to be used until she's 6 months or something like that, and I can only leave her with my husband so much.

Jill_B

I fly.

I ran a lot on the treadmill after having my first.  At the time I had a really good treadmill and I would put my baby in the swing and put the swing in front of the treadmill and run while watching him swing.  When he was bigger he went in the running stroller or the daycare at the gym (again, treadmill...).  

After my second I ran on the treadmill even more or with him in the running stroller.  I didn't have a double running stroller (and my older son was too old for a stroller anyway), so it was tricky.  Plus I was breastfeeding and he wouldn't take a bottle so I had to time my runs accordingly... needless to say, somehow I got faster.  My theory is that as I have less time, I run faster.  

It may take a while to get your fitness back, but when it comes back, you'll probably find yourself setting lots of PRs.  I know that I did.

Bring it on.

A Saucy Wench

I didnt use the jogging stroller or the treadmill. I used an early a.m. window - whatever time he woke up to nurse after 4 am as soon as he was done and back to sleep I went running.  Sometimes I was out there at 4, sometimes 6 - whatever I got before dh went to work.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7