2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

vanhalen - That’s a great 10k time and probably good for Sub 3 on a legit course. But, Boston is a roll of the dice being a point to point course and unpredictable weather. I think your finish time will be between 2:55 and 3:25. 🙂

JT - Big congrats on the 10k and looking good to PR in 2weeks time!  Sub 2:55?

Me - I had another session with PT yesterday and have decided to bail on London as I’m still not good to run. Hopefully I’ll be ok for the track marathon on the 13th May which I’m excited about as that race is something new for me!  Silver lining....PT has told me the weak areas that I need to work on going forward and it was an eye opener. I’ll come back stronger for sure.

Cinnamongirl - Hey! You’ve got a fucking marathon to run next month in Scotland! 😀

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

finbad

Mikkey - that sucks about London but good that  you're getting PT information you can actually use, nothing worse than being both hurt and lost.

Vanhalen - great confidence boosting time trial

Me - serious DOMS and the cold, did Tue/Thu workouts (3x10 mins and 12x minute on minute off) that were compromised by both . Decided to skip today's 10M race and did 21 yesterday at easy not looking at the watch pace. Got 67 miles in for the week. Pretty happy, just trying to stay smart now.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Mikkey: Sorry to hear about London but sounds like your PT has got you on the right track, and it's always good to know what the problem is and how to prevent it moving forward. I had forgotten about your track marathon; I would absolutely love to do one of those! I looked online for one in the US but could not find any. I hope you get back to 100% by then. It should be a great venue for a fast time. BTW, sub 2:55 is indeed the goal for me for my upcoming marathon.

Finbad: Smart training this week. It's actually good you got the cold when you did; you'll be rid of it in time for London. With just 2 weeks till my race, I am paranoid now as my son has a bad cold. Don't want to catch anything now as it would really bugger things up.

Cinnamon: Hope everything is ok with you! Check in and let us know how you're doing.

My week: only 4 days running and thus less mileage than I would have liked. I started to get some hip pain and took Tuesday off (in addition to my usual Monday off). Runs the next 2 days were ok, though the hip issue persisted. I decided to run a 10k race Saturday, despite the hip pain. I had done it 2 years ago and loved the event; but could not do it last year as it fell 2 days before Boston. It is a bit hilly, especially in the later couple miles, and I was hoping for 37 something. The late hills did me in however and I ended up with 38:04. The hip feels fine running, the pain is when not running. Actually, it feels better since the race. My calves are sore as hell from the race which helps take the focus off the hip. The taper should help with letting things heal up; just need nothing else to crap out in the meantime!

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Mar 26, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 01, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
        Wed 12.2 7:43 Morning Run with a bit of fartlek 652 strava
        Thu 8.3 8:22 Morning Run 462 strava
        Sat 1.3 8:03 Warm up 55 strava
        Sat 6.3 6:05 Bradley 10k (38:04) 204 strava
        Sat 3.1 9:20 Cool down 115 strava
        Sun 16.0 8:33 Long run 884 strava
          47.2 8:00   2372  

2:52:16 (2018)

weatherboy80

So a quick check in after being gone for the past 2 weeks!  Think I need a vacation from the vacation especially with the return to work.  Had a blast in Italy and was able to get in really excellent mileage thanks to my wife who wanted to hit the gym with me on most days with me so that allotted me a good hour plus for most of my workouts.  Even was able to get in several quality workouts Smile

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Mar 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Link
          Mon 12.3 7:54 EZ w/ a few High Pt Loops strava
          Mon 5.2 7:27 Afternoon Run strava
          Tue 16.2 7:21 Next stop: Italy 🍕🍷☕️ strava
          Wed 4.2 21:25 Freezing cold Rome sights tour strava
          Fri 12.1 6:56 I ate the pasta so I had to do the workout: 3E + 3X2 @5:49,47,45,45,44,33 + 2.6E strava
          Sat 11.1 7:54 Ran around an entire country on this run! strava
          Sun 8.3 6:41 Treadmillin in Napoli strava

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Mar 26, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 01, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Link
          Mon 13.2 6:50 Messina: Apparently pizza, a cannoli, & espresso make for good fueling! strava
          Tue 11.2 7:03 Crotone: 11 w/ 8 X 1/2 mi @7% grade strava
          Wed 10.3 6:38 Bari: 3E + 4@5:49,46,43,24 + 3.3E strava
          Thu 10.3 7:26 Sibenik: EZ before more carbs! strava
          Fri 2.2 8:31 Warm up strava
          Fri 8.0 6:11 Sailing into Venice on tired legs: 8@6:10+ strava
          Fri 2.1 7:07 Cool down strava
          Sun 13.2 7:19 This scenery is just not as nice 😂 strava

JT: congrats on the 10K!  Hope the hip behaves itself.

Mikkey: So sorry to hear about London.  Sounds like a smart move.  Good luck with the PT.

Fin: You're in amazing shape right now!  Good luck with the cold.

Will catch up with rest when I get some free time ...

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

finbad

JT : only 5 seconds out from your goal time with a sore hip sounds just fine, taper up and stay safe.

Weatherboy: great training and Strava shows a lovely looking holiday.

I bought a pair of the Zoom Fly's, I think I hate myself a little

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Laura

VanHalen: Sub-38 at this point, definitely looking real good for sub-3 Boston. Keep an eye on the weather, run smart and embrace taper aka do-no-harm (I'm going to say this to all you Boston Runners!)

Mikkey: Bummer about London for sure. Having to go to PT does have that silver lining to finding out any weaknesses you may have though, much easier to work on getting stronger when you know what you actually need to work on! What's PT saying about potential for the track marathon- or just playing by ear right now?

Finbad: Solid week, welcome to do-no-harm territory aka taper! Be careful with the Zoom Fly's...totally new shoe during taper gives me hives just thinking about it.

Cinnamon: Hope you're doing well!

JT: Not far off goal pace at all, 38 10k still bodes real well for Boston. Sometimes racing/workout can actually help shake things up a bit, hoping the hip behaves and can chill a bit during taper for you!

Weatherboy: Great vacation and great running! All the Italian Carbs=all the miles.

Week 8 Buffalo Training- Good week, tired but got it all in. Moved my long to Saturday to avoid Easter so that meant almost 30 miles in 18 hour period fri/sat so definitely felt that but recovered a lot yesterday (while chasing Hannah around as she chased her puff filled plastic Easter eggs around our hard wood floors- 11 month olds provide lots of entertainment!).

Mon 6 Miles 8:16 avg Easy after work
              Tues 10.5 Miles 6:57 avg Workout while my car was at dealer: 2MP/3x1k/2HMP
              Wed 6.1 Miles 8:23 avg Recovery
              Thurs 6.4 Miles 8:08 avg Easy TM progression
              Fri 9.5 Miles 8:23 avg Easy
              Sat 19 Miles 7:14 avg  2 x 3 MP(6:52, 6:50), 2 x 2 HMP (6:31, 6:30)
              Sun 3 Miles 9:11 avg Evening recovery slog after a day of Family and Food!
                60.5 Miles    

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

Swim5599

Mikkey ughh I’m so sorry brother.  Hopefully you get this sorted so that it isn’t ever a problem again.

-JT looks good.  Great 10k

-weather.  Great job getting the work in on your trip.

-fin hope you feel better.  It’s always such a toss up to decide what to do running wise when you aren’t feeling well.

-Lela those weeks are getting brisk.  Good stuff

71 this week with just one WO

mon 10 7:42

tue 8 with strides 7:38

wed 12 with 4x3:00 at 5:30, 4x2:00 at 5:20, 4x1:00 at 4:55

thurs 10 slog 8:00

friday 8 with strides 7:37

sat 8 7:35

sun 15 at 7:07

overall fairly pleased.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

iamdisappoint

Hello! I've been a crap forum member, sorry.

I'm organizing v4 of the Pre-Boston Internet Running Friends dinner. I've got a reservation for 10 at Maggiano's on Saturday the 14th at 6:45pm, and have 5 open seats. If you'd like to join me and some other running peeps to moan about it being 75F with a 20mph headwind on race day, drop me a line and let me know!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5795019

finbad

Anybody here got sound ideas on marathon hydration? I weighed myself last night pre and post run (14 miles at 6:40 average) and I lost a bit over 2% body weight. This was more than I'd expected since it was only about 5°C. Previously I've just had a few gulps of water at maybe 2 or 3 water stations in the race but I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts. Thanks

Anybody here got sound ideas on marathon hydration? I weighed myself last night pre and post run (14 miles at 6:40 average) and I lost a bit over 2% body weight. This was more than I'd expected since it was only about 5°C. Previously I've just had a few gulps of water at maybe 2 or 3 water stations in the race but I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts. Thanks

I am willing to bet that about half of the weight lost is glycogen that was used.  I also read from Noakes that the top marathoners would lose up to 7% of their body weight in a marathon.  My recommendation is to just take water at each station and you will be fine.

PR's: Mar - 2:44;50  1/2 Mar - 1:16:59  10 Mile  58:03  10K - 33:30 (Back in High School)

On the comeback trail.

Laura

I am willing to bet that about half of the weight lost is glycogen that was used.  I also read from Noakes that the top marathoners would lose up to 7% of their body weight in a marathon.  My recommendation is to just take water at each station and you will be fine.

Agree with this, fuel early and often. Even if it's just a sip at each stop it makes a difference.

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

I would also like to comment that I prefer to take the Gatorade/Powerade at the water stops as to get in calories as well.  I am not very good with gels.

PR's: Mar - 2:44;50  1/2 Mar - 1:16:59  10 Mile  58:03  10K - 33:30 (Back in High School)

On the comeback trail.

jkim579

Glycogen is the animal equivalent of starch, a big long polymer of glucose molecules linked together.  The equation for the complete combustion of glucose is: C6H12O6 + 6O2 --> 6CO2(g) + 6H2O.  For every 180g of glucose (or glycogen) you use, 108g (60%!!) of that turns in to water.  Alot of people assume that most of the weight lost in a marathon is from loss of plasma volume via sweat and breathing, but don't understand that glycogen (a carboHYDRATE) contains alot of "water" as well and as you said likely contributes a significant portion of the water loss.

Great point jkim579. If I'm connecting the dots correctly, I remember you from the 3:10 group on the now extinct RWOL forums; it was great to have your knowledge and perspective as a doctor there and is here as well; please stick around!

I'm in the thick of taper-time fretting about the weather forecast. Temps look ok but it is predicted to be very windy in MI on the 14th; 20 mph with gusts up to >40 mph. I hope that settles down in the next week. Boston forecast is looking a bit windy as well, though not too bad. On the positive side the temps for Boston look good, though a sudden, 1-day (or even 4 hour) spike in temps on Patriot's Day can't be counted out yet...

2:52:16 (2018)

Swim5599

Fin I usually bring a hand held and dust that off the first half and then hit every aid station.

70 in this week with a couple of short WO s and a race in Phoenix where it was 80 at the start

mon 10 easy with strides 7:35

Tue 11 with 3x1 at threshold effort 5:52,5:42,5:42

Wed 9 with 8x200 35 s

Thurs 8 easy 7:53

friday 8 easy 7:45

sat 9 with a 17:35 5k in some steamy conditions. Closed hard.  First race in over a year first 5k in almost 2 years.  Not great but In ooler condions I’m guessing my ancient 17:09 might have gone.

sun 15 7:18.  20 mph head wind on the way in.  Not much fun.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04