Is running ever easy??? (Read 1337 times)

Prophet!

i find that whilst training for my first marathon that even walking can be really hard...especially after those long long runs... Wink but i agree that your 'easy' runs will get easier if you stick to the definition of 'easy' and that most of the time you don't make it easier for yourself because you're setting higher standard as you progress...or a better way to gauge will be your 'comfortable' pace for a given distance will definately increase...when i started running regularly in May/June i couldn't run 1 mile continuously, two months later i couldn't break 10 minute mile for 5K, 3 months later I couldn't break 9 minute mile for 5 K, and now I couldn't break 10 minute mile pace for 13 miles...but now i can go out and do an 'easy' 5K run at 9:30 pace...my 5K 'easy' runs now is at about 9:30 pace...not to mention that now i found out that i can run 20 miles (although very slowly and very painfullly)... do a 5K run at a pace that you were at a few weeks ago...i bet you'll end up running an extra few miles after just to feel like you've gotten some exercise... interestingly enough, my walking pace hasn't increased Shy

Go Pre!

Cordovez, I haven't licenced that Avatar you are using. I am still a little shy of it as it was during my less fit period....so please refrain from using it. Thanks Dave

Now that was a bath...

Dave - LMAO Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
          You know, you don't have to train hard... It's just that most people choose to. Running can seem "easy" if ... you run easy. I mean easy... like add several minutes/mile to the pace you're currently calling an "easy" run.
          But then I could walk faster than I was running! Big grin I started running at the beginning of last Jan and ran my first half the end of April. So I think 4-5 months is totally doable. Of course, the second half I did felt much easier, though about 10 seconds slower overall. And training was much more doable. Heck, I didnt even know I was going to have the morning off until 3 days before, but after a 10 miler, and two 11.2's the three weekends before, it just didnt seem like that big a deal. (Until the mountain I mean hill at mile 12! Bleck!) I found that after the first 6 months or so I stopped having those aches and pains and I really did start to warm up after a couple miles. I never believed it before. That was also when my IT band was most upset. But seriously, it does become less "hard" on your body. And you can run with less effort and more ease. When I started all my runs seemed killer, even when my pace was even more turtlish than a hilly recovery runs today.