2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

CalBears

I have already got a Boston hotel lined up for 2021 and will be making sure that they have sufficient champagne supplies for me to consume after my amazing sub 2:50 victory over the Russian,

How is it possible to have hotel reservation for 2021? I didn't think it's possible. But I will certainly find a use for all the champagne you ordered so unthoughtfully 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

How is it possible to have hotel reservation for 2021? I didn't think it's possible. But I will certainly find a use for all the champagne you ordered so unthoughtfully 

I said I’ve got a hotel lined up which is not the same as reserving one!  I think I can book 1 year in advance. The hotel I’m thinking of is the Seaport which has got great reviews and I’m sure they’ll have plenty of champagne on tap.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Andres - Low 2:50's shape to have something left for the remainder of the 50k would certainly be ideal, but I'm not there just yet. Honestly, though, I don't really care how much gas is left in the tank after the marathon distance. It just seems like something fun and different, and the extra time/distance on feet will help with later goals. Of course I say this before the race...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brew - training still has barely started. I'm terrified of doing my VO2 max tomorrow. I think Andres hit on a good point which is I do way better at longer distances, which I never really appreciated until last year. I look forward to 12-14 at marathon pace WAY more than VO2 max work. What sucks is that I actually don't like running high mileage like some other folks (e.g. Keen), so it's a bit of a catch 22. And before you try recruiting me for an ultra, no, I'm not doing it. I'm not even remotely interested.

NYC - this was the first year I saw them hit the non-NYRR cap so early, I think it was the first day! My guess is they will have to raise (lower?) the standards. The half marathon standard is WAY easier than the full, so I do wonder if maybe they just tighten that up, or potentially remove it completely.

Boston v. NYC Vibe - I still think NYC is the better marathon. Yes, Boston has some cool spots, but it's hard to top the NYC course. If NYC wasn't so "difficult" I would run it every single year. Of course, I had a horrific experience in the last 5 miles last year due to the heat and had my darkest moments ever in a race, so that may have clouded me. I reserve the right to change my mind after this year, WHEN IT'S GOING TO BE 45 DEGREES WITH NO WIND AND BONE DRY.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Andres1045

Andres Doesn't NYC limit the number of non-NYRR half marathons they accept? Any idea how many people they accept?  I've considered making TCS my next goal marathon only because I could focus on the half and mentally it takes half as much training as a full marathon cycle. Plus I could maybe run more halfs in a year vs fulls.

I don't think they distinguish between half and full for non-NYRR races, but yes, there is an overall limit. Like JMac said, I think this is the first time they've hit that so quickly. Or at least I had always heard in the past that everyone got in with a time. I signed up relatively soon after it opened, so hopefully I'm good. I'll know tomorrow, I think.

-----

With NYC v. Boston, I think the NYC course is way better as far as the scenery, or entertainment value goes. The Boston course itself is a bit boring in many spots. Maybe you could say that the Boston fans are a little better, but NYC would be a really close second. Cal is right on that Boston is a ton of fun for all the people. The three years I did it, I not only had a big group of people I knew from here/RW, but also from other random Strava people and then friends from Houston or elsewhere I knew outside of running-only things. The logistics of getting to the village are also a lot easier. NYC can be a total pain, while Boston is rather fun and easy.  Mikkey, you'll have fun. I know it. Even if/when that Russian trips you at the start.

Upcoming races: Boston

CalBears

Mikkey, you'll have fun. I know it. Even if/when that Russian trips you at the start.

Andres - seems like you watched too many bad spy movies  Real Russians do not do things like that - tripping is not how we spread the action - if we want to win or if we hate a person, we punch him in the face, straight, directly, face to face - so, the person would know who did that - no hidden or anonymous actions.

You guys are talking about NYC marathon - some time ago I decided I won't do that because it's not a PR course, and seems like it's a pain in a butt logistics, etc..., but now, with all your pro-NYC nostalgic posts... Maybe I should do that, at least once - I know my family would enjoy it - none of us have ever been to New York even as a tourist.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You guys are talking about NYC marathon - some time ago I decided I won't do that because it's not a PR course, and seems like it's a pain in a butt logistics, etc..., but now, with all your pro-NYC nostalgic posts... Maybe I should do that, at least once - I know my family would enjoy it - none of us have ever been to New York even as a tourist.

I remember you saying back in the RW forum that I was crazy to train so hard for NYC because it wasn’t a PR course (I averaged 89mpw over 16 weeks) and ended up “overtraining”. It really isn’t that difficult a course and I’d love to race it again before I retire. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I remember you saying back in the RW forum that I was crazy to train so hard for NYC because it wasn’t a PR course (I averaged 89mpw over 16 weeks) and ended up “overtraining”. It really isn’t that difficult a course and I’d love to race it again before I retire. 😁

Anytime you folks decide to run NYC, I'm there. I think both statements are true: it's not a "PR" course like London, Chicago, or CIM, but it's not so difficult that you should just ignore it. I think everyone that has run at least a few marathons in their life would be foolish to skip NYC if they have a qualifying time.

I am curious though Mikkey - you mentioned the vibe about London, what about it is a huge contrast? Crowds, scenery, something else?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I am curious though Mikkey - you mentioned the vibe about London, what about it is a huge contrast? Crowds, scenery, something else?

The actual race is amazing and even better crowd support than NYC.  I lived in London for 10 years and it’s just a very unfriendly vibe. I expected NYC to be the same and was pleasantly surprised...except for the impatient horn tooting cab drivers. 

Andres - You've been to London and know what I’m saying!

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac I wouldn't recruit you for an ultra. They're stupid and you're too skinny. Plus all the good ones are outside major cities, don't have big crowds, and they take longer than 3 hours so I'm sure you'd regret your life choices really early on. On the upside, the consequences for going out too faster are WAAAAAAAAAAYY bigger and the fall from the top is MASSIVELY worse than it is for a 5k.

If it makes you feel better I really don't like running at all. VO2max, Marathon effort, Interval, Threshold, GMP, etc. All that bullshit can get filed in the trash under "DGAF!" or something along those lines. I just REALLY like Oreos, ice cream, beer, sody waters, and candy.

NYC Sounds like Chicago. Not really an eventful event when you're sulking in misery. Probably much like Las Vegas (Mt. Charleston) where it's just boring for 25 miles of it and then you're ready for it to be done. I just need a reason to travel and I don't travel except for my races. Otherwise I wouldn't fit the cliche of "ways you know you're married to a runner." I'll keep my marathon PRs soft so I can prove y'all wrong about it being a PR course. Checkers or wreckers baby.

Boston I'm glad I'm learning about how disappointing the race will be now that I've spent 4 years trying to get in. It will make the perfect opportunity to retire from running and pick up hobby jogging, or start buying new clothes with the money I have for this sport/activity. Hopefully it's a giant party the year I run it and people are handing out all kinds of stuff runners don't need. I want to get my money's worth. Maybe some crazy passionate race fans like cycling has in France.

Cal The travel is probably not worth it. I'd ONLY do it as part of a trip to New York. I'd imagined my trip to Boston would be something similar and the reality is coming down to it being a quick flight there for a Monday jog then flying home the next day.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Anytime you folks decide to run NYC, I'm there. I think both statements are true: it's not a "PR" course like London, Chicago, or CIM, but it's not so difficult that you should just ignore it. I think everyone that has run at least a few marathons in their life would be foolish to skip NYC if they have a qualifying time.

I seriously considered it for this year, but had to abandon due to budgetary constraints.

My brother lives in NY and him and his wife have their third kid on the way so would've been a good chance for a family catch up too.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

Ha-ha - didn't remember about the average mileage number, but learning it I would tell you - there is no course difficult enough if you average 89 miles 

Yeah, if NYC is as good (or better) than Boston crowd wise, I really would love to try it maybe 2021 or 2022? I still remember loss of hearing after running through Wellesley "Scream Tunnel" - curious if I can lose hearing running through New York . Though it seems getting in is not an easy task to accomplish, not because of qualifying time, obviously, but because of priority given to non-NYRR qualifiers. Well, nothing left but to try and see.

Pain in the butt logistics, crowded, and tough... I can't recommend it (other than NY scenery and crowd support)But if you give it a go, I'll have a "Bronx cheer" waiting!

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

(peeks quickly through the door to see if he knows anyone)

Running Problem

Problem Child

(peeks quickly through the door to see if he knows anyone)

Saw you wrote a story about one of your adventures last year.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22