Salt is good for you (Read 1389 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

I found this news item very interesting:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/heart/articles/2011/05/04/health-buzz-eating-less-salt-may-not-help-heart-health

particularly because I've never understood why doctors always recommend low salt intake for everybody, not just those with kidney problems. It doesn't make sense to me. Anytime I eat a high salt meal, I just pee it out a few hours later. Nothin' wrong with my kidneys, so what's the deal?

Anyway, i think it's interesting that the response to this study was "well, that study must be flawed because it doesn't agree with our own ideas". Is there data from other studies showing that cutting salt intake in normal people reduces disease? Just asking...

It doesn't mention people that consume above 6000mg (6g) salt per day (which is the British/EU? guidelines on salt consumption still). I wonder why? Hah, honestly, I don't worry about my salt intake! I consume as much as I want or don't want and that's how I plan to continue life until it ends Wink

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

Best Present Ever

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/heart/articles/2011/05/04/health-buzz-eating-less-salt-may-not-help-heart-health

particularly because I've never understood why doctors always recommend low salt intake for everybody, not just those with kidney problems. It doesn't make sense to me. Anytime I eat a high salt meal, I just pee it out a few hours later. Nothin' wrong with my kidneys, so what's the deal?

Anyway, i think it's interesting that the response to this study was "well, that study must be flawed because it doesn't agree with our own ideas". Is there data from other studies showing that cutting salt intake in normal people reduces disease? Just asking...

There isn't any data from randomized trials.  The problem with this study is that it is observational.  The first thing I wonder is does the group with the lowest sodium intake have a larger proportion of people with serious hypertension than the group with higher sodium intake?  Because that would make sense -- those folks get LOTS of encouragement to eat less sodium. 

MTA:  I don't think a low sodium diet is necessarily a good thing.  One other confounder is that high sodium diets are often diets with a lot of highly processed foods, which makes the picture even more confusing to tease out in terms of the prior research picture. 

Slice

I don't necessarily watch my salt intake but I worry more about processed high in sodium "foods." I feel like I'm preserving myself from the inside out. I would like see data on just the processed stuff too. I also think about how America has gotten fatter with the more processed garbage we have to eat.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

I don't necessarily watch my salt intake but I worry more about processed high in sodium "foods." I feel like I'm preserving myself from the inside out. I would like see data on just the processed stuff too. I also think about how America has gotten fatter with the more processed garbage we have choose to eat.

I agree.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

A Saucy Wench

There was a guy in our town a couple summers ago.  He had all the cardiac warnings so his doctor put him on a low sodium low fat heal your heart diet.  Neglected to consider that his job was heavy labor in the sun all day long.  Nearly killed him with low sodium

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Feeling the growl again

Considering how much I run in the heat and that I have no hypertension issues whatesoever, I don't pay any attention to salt intake.  Of course I probably am already on the low end of average intake based on a decent diet....most of the high-salt process foods stayed back with my bachelor days.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Stupid doctors.

+1. 

MTA;   Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Shoe

Most the research I have read says that for people who aren't sensitive, and especially for very active people who aren't salt sensitive, there's no reason to restrict sodium intake.

I don't eat processed foods often for other reasons, but sometimes I eat salt. Just salt.  I have salt heavy sweat and sometimes get migraines, eating salt can stop them from coming on.  I have asymptomatic low blood pressure so I'm not too worried.

A Saucy Wench

I get the majority of my sodium from bacon and salsa.  They are in my opinion the two most important food groups on the planet.

I read somewhere that between low sodium diets and the sea salt fads they are starting to see more and more iodine deficiency cropping up

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

I get the majority of my sodium from bacon and salsa.  They are in my opinion the two most important food groups on the planet.

You and my wife would get along very well.