The most frustrating hunting season ever... (Read 683 times)

So I can finally join the fun here at RA again...and start running again. Running during rifle season in Michigan, at least in the rural area that I reside in, is not safe! So since it isn't safe to run the roads, I park my butt in the woods armed with a rifle & a good book. I saw deer, deer & more deer. I saw bucks, bucks & more bucks. I watched them all, every day for two weeks...on my neighbor's property!!! Angry Seriously, they hunt too, what do the deer have against my property??? Ok, done venting now & can't wait to start running again. Tomorrow is the start of muzzle loading season, but that is a little less busy & a little safer, so I'll take my chances. I've missed everyone here!! Smile Eryn
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Woot, you're back! Now, tell me...what do you want for Christmas? I was in GR today and totally forgot to hit the Apple store for gift cards (was at Rivertown, anyhow), but I think I can get one online--you still wanting an iPod? Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

I've missed everyone here!! Smile
        What's that you said? You missed everyone's deer? Big grin Get thee an orange vest and get out there! The December Virtual race is this weekend! Oh. And welcome back! Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...

Now that was a bath...

Wow, it sounds really alien to me that you risk getting shot on a run! Nobody really shoots anything here in NZ. There again I don't think we have any deer (forgive my speculation, this is not my native country)! Bats are the only native mammals that NZ has apart from marine mamals. That's why our native birds don't fly - there were no snakes or mammals to eat them, or as it happens, hunters with guns to shoot them! Stay safe (that goes for Kirsten too) and definitely get an orange vest! Claire xxx
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Stay safe (that goes for Kirsten too) and definitely get an orange vest! Claire xxx
            Ha, I have my favorite bright orange fleece top (it's not really blaze orange...more of a very bright pumpkin). I wear that on most runs this time of year--cars see me better that way, too. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Eryn, I have to admit, I was cheering for the deer. I think they should start wearing targets during hunting season so you will laugh when you see them and not shoot. And maybe we should send some robotic "decoy deer" around with antlers to distract you and keep the real ones safe. Oh, and in "real" citys, folks dont wait for "hunting season." Nor do they get hunting equipment from a gun store. And they definately arent aiming at deer or birds. Wearing an orange vest may make you more likely to be seen and hense targetted. Fortunately, I dont live in one of those cities. Or in a rural area. The only thing keeping me from running is me and my current nasty cold!
              Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I saw deer, deer & more deer. I saw bucks, bucks & more bucks. I watched them all, every day for two weeks...on my neighbor's property!!! Angry Seriously, they hunt too, what do the deer have against my property???
                Because you got a bigger gun than the guy next door? Welcome back!
                  Running during rifle season in Michigan, at least in the rural area that I reside in, is not safe!
                  Eryn, I'm in MI too!! This just made me think of a few days ago when I was running the trails, I saw this hunter in the distance, leaning into his car. Not knowing if he had a gun and not wanting to scare him, I slowed down a bit, waiting and waiting for him to lean back out of the vehicle but he never did. It finally got to where I was almost right at the vehicle and he was STILL bent over poking around. (Then, of course, I'm thinking all kinds of other paranoid thoughts like, "did he see me and is he waitin' for me now?...is he going to whip around with a gun or something?" .... "Is he just stuck?!" Smile I wasn't too worried but didn't want to scare him, especially if he did have a loaded gun, so as gently as I could while approaching, I said, "Hey, didn't want -" and before I could get "to scare you" out, he whipped around with a look of terror (nothing in his hands thank goodness), clutched his chest with one hand, stared at me like a deer in headlights! I finished with "to scare you", and laughing, he said, "Thanks for not scaring me!" Kinda had to be there but I laughed for about 1/2 mile after!! The things we go through just to get a run in!!! Big grin