2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Cinnamon - I do have a local coach in mind, which I think would be a plus over virtual seeing as how I've never had a coach before. The most structure I've done has been following Daniels for a few cycles. That worked pretty well, but I think it would be nice to see what I can do with greater outside involvement and guidance.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OMR

OMR - I cant even relate to those temps...anything below -3C and I’m at breaking point. I might have missed it but is there a reason why you have an elliptical rather than a treadmill? (I personally think they’re great crosstraining for running)

MIkkey:  Under normal conditions, I have free access to treadmills, incline trainers, etc., at the college, so in previous winters I've done my training there.  We bought an elliptical for my wife to use.  Our main floor isn't really big enough for a treadmill, and our basement has low ceilings.  (Even if I cut a hole in the ceiling, I would have to fit my head between floor joists 16" apart, so that really isn't an option, haha.)  So, hopefully next winter I'll be able to get back on a treadmill.

Looks like a lot of people here have been or are going to be dealing with some cold weather over the next few days.  We did not get above 0 this week (and probably won't until next Tuesday), with nightly lows mostly in the -20s.  Windchills in northern MN were in the -50s and -60s, but not that cold here (as if it matters once you get below about -30).  In about a week, we're supposed to be back up in the 30s (above zero, hahaha).  That's going to feel like summer!  I hope to be back outside by midweek next week...we'll see.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: are you saying you would consider Valencia? Anyways - get running and posting your weeks. I'm going to be on your ass because time is moving fast.

I’ve never really thought about an early December marathon before...but time seems to move a lot faster when you hit 50...so yes I’m considering it.   The only hitch will be if there’s still quarantine.  Maybe we’ll have vaccine passports by then which I’ve got no problem with...iirc I needed proof that I’d had a malaria jab to get into Sri Lanka/Thailand so no big deal.

JT - Big Bertha sounds like a proper hardcore treadmill name....unlike Fluffy.    And can you put Richmond Runfest marathon on the list for me on 16th May please. I feel a lot more confident that races will happen as we’ve pretty much hit the vaccine top 4 category target (15million) and should be starting on the 65+ AG folk next week. I’m also registered for the Vitality Big Half in London on the 25th April which should be a good tune up race. I will need to check out the Nike website and see if they’ve upgraded their cheater shoes. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Ian5

Mikkey-Nike have 20% off all full priced items for the next few days if you want some shoes.

I'm getting confident about May races also,but can't see the big half happening,just too many people for now.Some areas have started on the over 65's as my mum and father in law both had theirs this week.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

darkwave

Mother of Cats

JT - Big Bertha sounds like a proper hardcore treadmill name....unlike Fluffy.    

Big Bertha sounds like a very intimidating workout partner.  It really works for a Landice.

CK - FWIW, I think there's a lot more value from a good local coach and group then from online coaching.  There's just that ability to eyeball the runner and also discuss how to modify workouts in the moment.  I will be interested to follow how things work for you if you go that way.  FWIW, I think you have a lot of untapped potential, and a good local coach might unearth that.

OMR - should I blame you for the ice storm we have now? 

Ian - thanks for the heads up on the Nike sale.  Though I really don't need any more shoes right now....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

OMR - should I blame you for the ice storm we have now? 

Haha, yes, feel free to blame me.  We haven't had any precipitation from recent weather systems, they have all stayed south of us.

My week...all of it on the elliptical...

S: 13M, 1:41 (pace seems irrelevant here, but then again, so does miles)

M: 8M, 1:00

T: 11.2M, 1:30

W: 5.3M, 0:40

T: 10.3M, 1:26

F: Rest

S: 15.3M, 2:00

Total:  63.1M, 8:18.  At least I'm getting the training time back up closer to where I'd like it.  Hopefully as I transition back to running outside, the time will continue to increase to keep the mileage about the same.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

OMR - that is some impressive elliptical work.  For whatever reason, the elliptical just strikes me as the hardest type of cross-training, from a mental standpoint.  I can't put my finger on exactly why - it just does.

My week:

59 miles, 1500 yards swimming, and 2 hours of pool-running

M: 50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.

T:  12 miles, including 7 Iwo Jima hill repeats (2:00 up, 90 second jog, 25 second stride, 75 second jog).  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming

W: 10 miles very easy (9:28) and streaming yoga.

Th: 50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.

F: 12 miles on Fluffy the treadmill including an alternation tempo workout that mixed six 4 minute segments at 6:54 pace with five 1 minute segments at 6:36 pace for 29 minutes of continuous work.  Full recovery and then 4x30 seconds at mile effort with 90 second jog in between.   Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming

Sa: 10.5 miles very easy (9:22) drills, 2 hill strides, followed with streaming yoga.

Su: 14 miles progressive on Fluffy the treadmill, split as first 5 averaging 9:12, next 5 averaging 7:52, next 4 averaging 7:10, and then a ~.5 mile cooldown.  Followed with streaming yoga, injury prevention stuff, and 500 yards recovery swimming + 20 minutes pool-running.

This is the second week in a row I've done a long run on the treadmill.  Mentally it's not hard at all - I just pull up a DJ set that is at least 2 hours in length (ideally one with a visual component as well) and go.  But physically, 14 miles on the treadmill feels much more tiring than 14 miles outside.  I'm guessing it's because there's no variation in terrain (similar to how a pancake flat marathon can be more tiring than one with slight undulations).  And perhaps also because I'm shifting my runs back and forth between somewhere in the 20s or 30s outside, and between 65 and 70 degrees inside.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey: Great to see you have a spring race target! I put both the half and the full on the table.

OMR: Nice job getting the work in on the elliptical.

DW: Nice alternating tempo workout; looks like you nailed it this time. I agree about treadmill runs, even long ones being manageable as long as you have something to watch and/or listen to. My current viewing is old World XC champs (most years are on Youtube with good coverage of all the races) and sometimes switching over to music especially for tough intervals.

Another week in the bank. I'm enjoying the new treadmill and will be doing at least my midweek workout on it until the snow melts and the track is available or the roads are in better shape. Today was the first 20 mile long run of this cycle; felt pretty good considering it was a quite hilly route. 8 weeks till race day!

Weekly for period: From: 02/08/2021 To 02/14/2021

Date Name Distance
                  in mi
                  Duration Avg Pace
                  per mi
                  Elevation Gain
                  in ft
                  02/09/2021 Morning Run 10.03 1:21:30 8:08 0
                  02/10/2021 Morning Run w/ 5 x 1 mile, 3:00 recovery 12.25 1:31:41 7:29 0
                  02/11/2021 Morning Run 6.23 55:48 8:57 0
                  02/12/2021 Morning Run 12.16 1:39:16 8:10 709
                  02/13/2021 Morning Run 8.03 1:06:52 8:20 443
                  02/14/2021 Long run 20.02 2:38:00 7:54 1427

Total distance: 68.72 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Meant to comment on Strava - nice long run JTreeves.  I'm assuming you didn't get ice up there?

Meant to comment on Strava - nice long run JTreeves.  I'm assuming you didn't get ice up there?

Thanks DW. We got lucky regarding the ice; it was supposed to be a snow/sleet/freezing rain mix overnight Saturday into Sunday morning but there was nothing when I went for my run in the late morning. Temps actually got up above freezing and the road was on the muddy side on my way back. The dirt roads are still part clear, part packed snow and patches of ice but very manageable in daylight.

cinnamon girl

That's great the treadmill is serving you well, JT. I click those links to your runs to see details like your 5 x 1 mi but I can't see anything. You are humming right along. Whenever I would start back on a treadmill I get spots here and there - especially on initial workouts. Stay niggle free!

OMR: 30 degrees? That would be nice Smile It will be March in just a couple weeks.

All my local news today was about 'Bitter Cold', and 'Don't go outside. Don't travel.' It snowed a couple inches and temps in the 20s. 

M: 8 mi (8:13) +375 ft
                        T: 10 mi (8:14) +425 ft
                        W: 6 mi (8:41) +225 ft
                        T: 6 mi (8:19) +200 ft
                        F: 7 mi (8:25) +345 ft
                        S: 12 mi (8:00) +525 ft    
                        S: 5 mi (8:18) +150 ft 
                        54 mi. +2250 ft

I was thinking of starting to run some faster but I think I strained an intercostal or two while doing heavy lifting last weekend. I hope it's just that - feels similar to when I've irritated them before. Can't take a deep breath, don't want to sneeze, laugh, etc. It's been hard to take a deep inhale from my inhaler before runs. So this will have to heal before I do anything other than easy.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Thanks for the vote of confidence, that means a lot.

JT - Nice week.

Cinnamon - Good week as well.

I had a bit of a puny end to my week. Workouts on the treadmill due to ice, and the shorter run Friday was on purpose to keep my mileage where I wanted for the week while testing clothes for a LR with wind chills well below zero - a LR that didn't happen because I finally succumbed to the same cold but that hit my 3x daughters and wife in the past week. This morning's improvement makes me hopeful that I'll be back to normal Wednesday or so.

Weekly for period: From: 02/08/2021 To 02/14/2021

Date Name Distance
                          in mi
                          Duration Avg Pace
                          per mi
                          Elevation Gain
                          in ft
                          02/08/2021 4 ducks 10.25 01:27:01 08:29 423
                          02/09/2021 2x 15 min T + 10 min T - Innsbruck 11.11 01:17:48 07:00 0
                          02/09/2021 9 ducks 2.10 00:17:11 08:11 95
                          02/10/2021 4 deer (4 strides) 10.50 01:29:07 08:29 538
                          02/11/2021 2x (5x 1k CP) - NYC 10.51 01:11:40 06:49 0
                          02/11/2021 1 hawk 2.05 00:16:19 07:58 92
                          02/12/2021 2 hawks & 1 thumbs up 6.35 00:53:00 08:21 358
                          02/13/2021 Just keeping things alive 2.10 00:16:49 08:00 105
                          02/14/2021 Waiting for the heat of the day 2.15 00:17:28 08:07 79

Total distance: 57.12mi

ETA: Un-messing my post.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Cinnamon: Nice mileage and gain! I hope you heal up soon; go easy on that powerlifting . Just kidding; I know when I move stuff around the house or outside I'm usually more likely to get a back strain or something than when I'm actually doing strengthwork.

Not sure why the strava links aren't working for you. My strava account is public so I think you should be able to see it. You can also look at the log here on RA, it has everything but just without the labels.

Keen: Hope you and the family get over that cold quickly.

OMR

Keen:  Bummer on the cold (illness), and hopefully you get some warmer weather soon (because it hopefully will also mean warmer weather for us!).  Regarding virtual vs. in-person coaching, I would agree that in-person would be ideal, provided there is a quality coach around that can point you in the right direction.

JT:  Nice week, and +1 to that long run @ 7:54, things seem to be going well for you thus far.  Good to hear you didn't get the ice.

Dwave:  I totally agree about the elliptical and the mental aspect of it vs. a treadmill, although I think I'm starting to get used to it now.  It doesn't seem as bad any more, although because my feet never leave the pedals, they were going numb toward the end of Saturday's 2-hour workout.  Any longer and I think I would need to take breaks.  Nice week and Fluffy Progression run.

cinnamon:  Hope those intercostals heal up quickly, and stop lifting heavy stuff!  Our forecast keeps delaying the arrival of 30 degrees (now Sunday rather than Friday or Saturday).  I think meteorologists do this intentionally so that we have this constant false hope, and it helps us to learn patience and delayed gratification.  Or they're just evil.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Solid week, Cinnamon, and I hope you heal quickly.  I've heard that strained intercostals are quite painful; it has to be difficult running with that.

CK - "Puny" is such a great word.  Except when applied to a training week due to illness.  I hope you get better.

OMR - the weather people can be cruel, I think.  (except for Weatherboy, of course)