Internet Explorer 9 support status (Read 1271 times)

eric :)

IE9 is slated to be released midnight tonight EDT.  I worked on preparing RA for the release this weekend.  RA uses several third party components.  Specifically, the javascript framework, the forum (wysiwyg) editor, and Garmin Communicator for GPS import.

The javascript framework does not currently support IE9 but its latest release seems to fix all of my known problems so I installed it this weekend.  The developers will add official IE9 support as a patch.  When it comes out, I will install it on RA.  If you see any strange errors (when you click on buttons and nothing happens, or things don't look right), please let me know so I can look into it.

I upgraded the wysiwyg editor to the latest version, which has limited support for IE9.  The only problem I see is you must click on the first line in the editor in order for the cursor to appear, whereas on other browsers, you can click anywhere in the editor.

The Garmin Communicator is problematic.  I tracked down the problem last night to something sneaky Garmin is doing.  The plugin works correctly when I used Garmin Connect, but does not work when I connect to RA.  I suspected the plugin is checking the url of the page and only works if IE9 connects to Garmin Connect but not other sites.  After I renamed my test machine to connect.garmin.com, the plugin worked flawlessly.

This means Garmin needs to create a new version of the plugin without the url check so it will work on all sites.  If you're an IE9 user, consider sending Garmin Support an email.  If they receive enough support requests, they may expedite the fix.  In the meantime, your only option is to use another browser.

xor

Thanks, mighty wizard.

I am shocked that Garmin might be doing something sneaky.  Shocked.

I am more shocked that there are people and other entities using IE.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

>> IE9 is slated to be released midnight tonight EDT.

Some day I will tell the story of the IE3 launch in 1996 and the "midnight madness" t-shirt giveaway.  I helped break the internet.  (ok, not exactly, but I did help capsize MSN and pretty much everything else headed in/out of that datacenter because lots of people wanted a free tshirt***).

*** Well, that, and our network design, server platform, and web fulfillment pages were crap.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What the hell is IE?

eric :)

If I remember correctly, midnight madness was pacific time.  It was like MS enticed people to do a DoS attack on itself by offering free t-shirts.  I had to get up in the middle of the night to get my t-shirt but I couldn't get through in time.  A few weeks later, I received a packet in the mail from MS, saying that it was such a great success that MS is giving shirts to everyone that signed up.  A few days after that, a bleach accident rendered the shirt unwearable.  :-(

xor

Ray "Bones" Barboni: Let me explain something to you. Momo is dead. Which means that everything he had now belongs to Jimmy Cap, including you. Which also means, that when I speak, I speak for Jimmy. E.g., from now on, you start showing me the proper (bleepin) respect.
                Chili Palmer: "E.g." means "for example". What I think you want to say is "I.e.".
                Ray "Bones" Barboni: BS! That's short for "ergo".
                Chili Palmer: Ask your man.
                Bodyguard: To the best of my knowledge, "e.g." means "for example".
                Ray "Bones" Barboni: E.g., i.e., f you! The point is this: is that, When I say "jump", you say "OK", okay?

xor

If I remember correctly, midnight madness was pacific time.  It was like MS enticed people to do a DoS attack on itself by offering free t-shirts.  I had to get up in the middle of the night to get my t-shirt but I couldn't get through in time.  A few weeks later, I received a packet in the mail from MS, saying that it was such a great success that MS is giving shirts to everyone that signed up.  A few days after that, a bleach accident rendered the shirt unwearable.  :-(

Guess who the release PM was at the MSN datacenter that night.