Carbing up and diabetes (Read 1215 times)

Complex carbs are important to running, and I know runners carb up the night before a race/run for the needed energy, yet as a diabetic I must limit my carbs at each meal. If I were to carb up say on pasta the night before, my BG lever (Blood Glucose) would be waaaaaaaaaaayy over my limits allowed by the ADA and my doctor. And eating that many carbs within 2 hours of the race/run I think would cause other problems I would not want. Any suggestions on how I can handle this?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've been wondering this, myself. I wonder if it would work for you to ingest simple carbs immediately before a race and during (like packets of GU, Gatorade, etc.), that way your body would be making use of the sugars ASAP. Does anyone know if there is a book or website for diabetic runners? While I am not diabetic (I think I dodged that bullet, myself), I have hypoglycemic tendencies and would be interested to see what sort of solutions may be out there. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Zoom, try this site: http://www.diabetesandsports.com/

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, that's awesome--I will have to spend some time on that forum. I will make sure to post a link to that at our JDRF chapter's message board, too. Smile BTW, here is my diet progress page (I have a page of recipes that you might find interesting, as well). Since I last posted I have put on probably 10#s (thanks to just generally eating like a pig), so I need to rein it in and get back on track (running will help, especially as I start increasing my mileage more and more). Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Good thing I opened that link at work! Ya gonna get me in trouble with the wife!!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good thing I opened that link at work! Ya gonna get me in trouble with the wife!!
              Ha! Hey, I wasn't nekkid! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Ha! Hey, I wasn't nekkid! Wink k
                Blond, young, dressed for the pool/beach and looking very nice. YEP!! That is trouble! And for the record I am NOT a dirty old man!! OK I am OLD but I am not dirty!!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Aww, thanks Gregg! Someday I hope to have REAL goal pics...I still have about 15#s to lose (wanna get some more muscle tone, too). Maybe my goal photos will be in running garb. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Running garb can be very attractive! Big grin I realized earlier this year that one of the "perks" of racing was getting to see all these really hot guys in skimpy shorts... Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Running garb can be very attractive! Big grin I realized earlier this year that one of the "perks" of racing was getting to see all these really hot guys in skimpy shorts... Wink
                      Heck, I could have a girl crush on some of the gals, too--more in the form of mild jealousy.... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Let's start a new thread down in "Off the Beaten Path" where we can link our favorite pictures of people in running garb... Wink LOL! Or would it be "Gears and Wears?" We had a lot of fun there... Yes, that's it! "Gears and Wears" it is! Meet'cha there! Big grin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, and Starflight, if you haven't already discovered it, Powerade makes a low-cal/low-carb sports drink...pretty good. I like the strawberry. I also have some Endurolyte capsules that I plan to try soon--then I can pop a few of those during long, hot runs. k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All exercise requires carbohydrates. Diabetes is a medical problem that occurs when glucose levels outpace insulin levels. Glucose is your body's primary carb for energy transfer. Insulin makes the glucose usable in your body. With inadequate insulin, the glucose just hangs out in your bloodstream at ever increasing levels causing a ruckus, while your cells starve. If you are a type II diabetic, you have insulin (just not enough). If you are a type I diabetic, you do not have insulin at all. Regardless, you need carbs to exercise. Usually, with diabetes, you have a certain number of carbs you can consume in a day and a certain amount of insulin you need for it (whether normal body insulin supplemented by pills that make it work better, or injected insulin). The more carbs you eat, the more insulin you need, except in one case. If you are actively exercising, your body tends to use the carbs a little more efficiently and you require a bit less insulin. There is all sorts of information out on the web, and your doctor should be able to help you. But the main point is, you can and should increase your carb intake when exercising. Even if you are diabetic. But if you are diabetic, you need to monitor your blood sugar and make sure you are not overdoing it. Yes, consuming the carbs immediately before/after and during may be a bit easier on your body than trying to load them early that morning.
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

Nicely put, Trent. Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But the main point is, you can and should increase your carb intake when exercising. Even if you are diabetic. But if you are diabetic, you need to monitor your blood sugar and make sure you are not overdoing it. Yes, consuming the carbs immediately before/after and during may be a bit easier on your body than trying to load them early that morning.
                                Yep. I find that for me I can safely eat something a bit on the carby side shortly before running and not want to inhale the entire contents of the fridge if I time it right. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay